Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts. ย When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTubeย Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Need Help Installing Nodebb.

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Hello @theflickx!

NodeBB is designed to work best under a virtual private server. Using a traditional hosting service is not recommended as they do not have the capabilities to power NodeBB effectively.

The code and instructions can be found here at our project repository Full instructions can be found in our Documentation Portal We recommend DigitalOcean to host your NodeBB, you'll get a month free just by registering with this link. You can also try applying the 10TOSHIP coupon to get another two months free.

Thank you for your interest in NodeBB!

• NodeBB Openshift Install - Git Push Times Out

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    A

Hello fellow Noders. I'm brand new to NodeBB and trying to get it up and running on an Openshift instance however... I cannot get past the stage in the guide where I have to push the install files to the server via a Git push. The thing times out after 5-10 minutes because it's trying to build at the same time. I've also tried setting an Openshift to clone the repository itself as part of the creation process but... the just results in it disappearing from my console about 10 minutes later with the last status being 'building'.

Anyone had any luck. I've been around the interwebs looking for solution but most of the timeout issues are pointing at SSH and not Git. ๐Ÿ˜•

The guide is this one here. https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/installing/cloud/openshift.html

• 0.7.2. Chat popup style error

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Yeah, might need to just clear cache.

Also made a couple changes to the chat styling this morning for vanilla, might help.

• Problem when update to Nodebb 0.7.2

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    A

Same problem for me actually. Many missing dependencies. This is sad ๐Ÿ˜ž

• Nodebb messing up favicon

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Okay, so I fixed it.

Put the tags in the header as usual, then upload the smallest (16x16 as ico) to the general section. This will be the one that nodebb overrides the others with.

The others will still work for other systems like android and such.

• Online status is not updated immediately

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    ?

@julian perhaps it should not be? I dont know.

• Theme Error After 0.7.2 Update

0 Votes
    15 Posts
    5k Views
    codejetC

@scottalanmiller try npm i express

oh fixed. np

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    N

Jut started to notice weird behavior on our forum. When someone creates a new Topic it pulls in posts from older topics and sometimes it pulls in posts from topics from other categories. So, you would expect a new Topic to have just one post, but now it may start out with multiple posts.

I have two sites running. A production and test site. Same behavior on each. I've reverted each to known working versions, but still no luck.

Running 0.7.0 with mongo.

This screen shot shows the new post with multiple topics.

Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 9.05.01 AM.png

• 3 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    eva2000E

@psychobunny @julian been a while since I played with NodeBB. But now that my Centmin Mod LEMP .08 stable release is out, I decided to play with NodeBB v0.7.2 + Centmin Mod Nginx server setup ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted a full how to install guide at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centmin-mod-nginx-nodebb-forum-install.4009/

Only issue I have right now is forever restart or ./nodebb restart commands don't seem to work ? Stop and start work fine.

Comments and suggestions are welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

• nodebb setup redis database other than 0 ?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    eva2000E

never mind been a while since i installed nodedbb, that prompt was for database = redis not the redis db number which came later on ๐Ÿ™‚

./nodebb setup 1/8 09:58 [5915] - info: NodeBB Setup Triggered via Command Line Welcome to NodeBB! This looks like a new installation, so you'll have to answer a few questions about your environment before we can proceed. Press enter to accept the default setting (shown in brackets). URL used to access this NodeBB (http://localhost:4567) Please enter a NodeBB secret (09df113d-0255-48b7-8e21-c2d0eba3be54) Which database to use (redis) 1/8 09:58 [5915] - info: Now configuring redis database: Host IP or address of your Redis instance (127.0.0.1) Host port of your Redis instance (6379) Password of your Redis database Which database to use (0..n) (0) 3 Configuration Saved OK [email protected] node_modules/redis [email protected] node_modules/connect-redis โ””โ”€โ”€ [email protected] ([email protected]) Populating database with default configs, if not already set... Enabling default theme: Persona No categories found, populating instance with default categories 1/8 09:59 [5915] - warn: No administrators have been detected, running initial user setup
  • Failed to look up view X on reloading

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    Moritz FriedrichM

I noticed that whenever I reload nodebb, I get error messages like this one in the log:

31/7 23:47 [12036] - error: Error: Failed to lookup view "500" in views directory "/var/www/node/nodebb/public/templates" at EventEmitter.render (/var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/application.js:579:17) at ServerResponse.render (/var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/response.js:961:7) at ServerResponse.res.render (/var/www/node/nodebb/src/middleware/middleware.js:337:10) at /var/www/node/nodebb/src/routes/index.js:223:9 at /var/www/node/nodebb/src/middleware/middleware.js:192:12 at /var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:589:17 at done (/var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:126:15) at /var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:32:16 at /var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:586:21 at /var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/templates.js/lib/templates.js:160:12 Error: Failed to lookup view "500" in views directory "/var/www/node/nodebb/public/templates" at EventEmitter.render (/var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/application.js:579:17) at ServerResponse.render (/var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/response.js:961:7) at ServerResponse.res.render (/var/www/node/nodebb/src/middleware/middleware.js:337:10) at /var/www/node/nodebb/src/routes/index.js:223:9 at /var/www/node/nodebb/src/middleware/middleware.js:192:12 at /var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:589:17 at done (/var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:126:15) at /var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:32:16 at /var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:586:21 at /var/www/node/nodebb/node_modules/templates.js/lib/templates.js:160:12

I think it is users trying to access the page while reloading, but it made me wonder if there is a way to prevent this from happening? Also, I have currently three worker threads enabled. Shouldn't they be restarted successively so every request can be handled?

• This topic is deleted!

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Okay...now how do I become the admin of my forum? ๐Ÿ™‚

Solved
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    jareyJ

@Ziggy glad you got it working ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Facebook SSO Plugin - Email Issue

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    S

@kps - I suspect that is the issue. I don't have an active nodebb instance right now. In the middle of a few things. HOpefully resolve those issues and get back to nodebb over the weekend. ๐Ÿ™‚

• New Topic Button not working.

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    tfraleyT

Fix'd, was something with the plugin, Not sure exactly.

I've uninstalled and install the composer. But not sure why but once I rebooted Unbuntu itself it seemed to kick something free.

Thanks guys

• Security Groups?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    B

Hhhmm interesting... many thanks, guess i better start learning how to do plugins!

• Quality assurance

1 Votes
    1 Posts
    K

Hi guys,
    I think after release of every version / tarball you must hand it over to QA, now I understand this will be messy for you guys to handle so lets form a group for people who want to volunteer on the same.

I would love to volunteer, I'm gonna use code created by you, consider it as a thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

And yes @julian I want to write an aerospike connector for nodebb, its way faster than mongo and more reliable than redis

We also require a better way to upgrade the forum (maybe a script that has to be run - for copying attachments and stuff and taking db dumps , then after installations reloading from the dumps and in case of errors falling back to the prev version)

• BUG. Incorrect display of links in chat

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    ?

upload-3e2e4d8c-f9f5-4d63-84b9-adda0250ff8d

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    Zig.gyZ

Thanks. It is resolved now.