Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• Created a new theme, now what?

Moved
    1 Votes
    18 Posts
    7k Views
    A

@julian 😛 If you view his avatar in a new tab, he has a cool tattoo. 😄

• Template Logic Question

Moved
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    barisB

It is loggedIn everywhere now. https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/1900

• Need some advice on theme creation

Moved
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    R

@psychobunny with regards to your suggestions on stripping out features, I'll have the devs take a look at the disabling options you pointed out.

Integrating with my application:

We have integrated to some degree using the SSO plugin and hopefully it will continue to be as problem free. We are integrating this with a custom Laravel application. I am really not keen on using iFrames and would prefer a proper theme integration but if push comes to shove, I guess I'll have to settle for an iFrame integration.

At this stage, we're doing development in-house but of course if we run into issues I will shoot you guys an email. As for the theme design, I will definitely keep @trevor in mind. I have looked at his work and it does in fact looks very nice.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me and give me your advice on where to start looking; it is very appreciated.

Regards

• So I want to create a theme.

Moved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    esiaoE

Hello NodeBB users. Since I've chosen NodeBB to replace my current free hosted and created forum I need to create the custom theme that will go with it.
    Since it's a graphic community we have some features needed and that's why I've taken a look at plugins and the API to see if NodeBB is ready to answer our problematic. Mostly it's the case and the modular aspect is very appreciable.

So first question, how to do a child theme ? I've the quickstart theme and it seems that only importing the less of another theme do the job. (Vanilla in that case). But for instance if I want to use Lavander that is a lot more developed is that the same way ?
    Isn't that a bit ugly cause I assume it will be CSS replacement over imported CSS with new one too.
    Is there a best way to do it ?

Is a theme capable of interacting on templates and add features to the control panel like a plugin. For instance I absolutely need the sub category feature, because my forum today use a structure like :

Category Forum Sub forum Sub forum Archives (occasional)

So there's at least 3 levels needed and I'll need to figure out if there's a way to do so since it doesn't seem implemented in the actual NodeBB version.

Is it possible to add a new navigation, I think it's possible with a widget it doesn't seem like there's an existing one I might take a look on this.

I think this is not theme related so I'll stop here but these are the direct questions I have.
    Also I doesn't seems that this forum have a support category, I think it could be nice to add one in order to filter actual themes from requests/question ect... (same for plugins).

• Here's a helpful CSS cheatsheet!

Moved
    9 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    T

@julian Believe it or not, but I've never went there before for CSS reference, but I'll read up on it further here since of course they are the "authority" in web standards.

• Some questions

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    T

Could it have something to do with the custom-homepage plugin overriding the home.tpl template?

Perhaps, but I'm not totally sure.

The way I place widgets is I just take whatever is a widget template and copy and paste it into one of the main theme templates such as topic.tpl or category.tpl.

So for example, the popular tags widget (which I have not used yet but will soon), looks like this.

<!-- BEGIN tags -->
    <a href="{relative_path}/tags/{tags.value}" class="pull-left">
    <h4>
    <span class="label label-info">{tags.value}</span>
    <small>x</small><span class="tag-topic-count">{tags.score}</span>
    </h4>
    </a>
    <!-- END tags -->

I take that and place it somewhere (anywhere) I want it to render in a template.

-_-

Another example is using the widget-area as shown here using the "active users" widget (this is for category.tpl);

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 3.51.41 AM.png

And the HTML is as simple as this;

<div class="category-active-users">
    <div widget-area="sidebar"></div>
    </div>

Whatever is placed in widget area named "Sidebar" in the ACP, is what will render here. For this I have simply used the "Active Users" widget block as shown below.

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 3.54.20 AM.png

All in all, its a matter of preference of how you want to do things.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    HentaiH

@a_5mith Me too ... 😝

• What does this folder do?

Moved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

@helltux is currect, it is for Right-to-left languages, like Persian, Arabic, etc. Those CSS rules are not applied to regular languages. I believe it specifically looks for a data-rtl attribute in the body tag.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    HentaiH

@a_5mith Thanks for your advice : )

• A resource some of you may find useful.

Moved
    2 Votes
    11 Posts
    4k Views
    meetdilipM

I often get confused with those names. Lavender good in many ways compared to Vanilla. Especially the recent update made it better.

• panel resizer 100%

Moved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    G

thank you all!

@baris @psychobunny

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    CarlC

@psychobunny

@psychobunny said:

Maybe we can try something like that in the next theme. One of our clients has a theme with the buttons on the right side like this: http://i.imgur.com/2SvxrXz.png and the vanilla theme has overall bigger vote buttons. Maybe a bit of CSS magic in the custom CSS editor could move the buttons below your avatar without much fuss

Wow I must say the buttons on the right look great

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    X

Does anyone know how I'd go about doing this on the home page in the category list? I'm not much of a fan of the recent posts.

I've tried using <!-- IF @first --> to get the last updated post/topic but it still shows them all.

Thanks, Ben.

Edit, the following code shows first for each post, meaning @first isn't working for some reason (Opened up an issue😞

<!-- BEGIN posts --> <!-- IF @first --> first <!-- ENDIF @first --> <!-- END posts -->
  • Upgrade Theme

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    L

Thanks @psychobunny
    😄

• Category Size

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    S

@julian ah ok. The last time i tried it didn't change the size. That was a week or so ago though.