Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Name color for groups or username

Moved
    1 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    A

you're the best

@Escuiquirin LOL I wish! Glad I could help though 🙂

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    esiaoE

@agarcia17 Yes I did but then I deleted it because I changed the way I displayed my menu after some feedback.
    But here's what I've done

//Check if there's unread messages var unread = setTimeout(checkUnread,500); //Update Unread messages on events socket.on('event:chats.receive', function(data) {toggleUnread(data)}); socket.on('event:new_notification', toggleUnread); socket.on('event:new_post', toggleUnread); socket.on('event:new_topic', toggleUnread); function toggleUnread(data) { if (data) var receptor = data.message.touid; if (!$('#unread').length) { var unread = '<span id="unread" title="Vous avez des messages non lus" class="bounce-small infinite animated">'; if (receptor != undefined) { if (receptor == window.app.uid) $(unread).insertAfter('.header-top .menu'); } else { $(unread).insertAfter('.header-top .menu'); } } } function checkUnread() { $('#unread-count, #notif_dropdown i, #chat-count').each(function(){ var n = $(this).attr('data-content') if (n > 0) { toggleUnread(); return false; } }); }

I hope it can help you.

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    esiaoE

I used nodebb-theme-quickstart aswell for deep-space (galaxygraph theme) I think I didn't edit the readme.md
    Nice theme Julian, may I suggest to not use transparency on categories since I guess the background can be changed it can cause issues of readability. I dig the idea of the big background photography rather than the content.

• Vanilla Theme - {posts.picture} 404-ing.

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Heh ... you responded in the time it took me to update the value and restart my NodeBB. Nice.

• Lavender category size

Moved
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    6k Views
    esiaoE

@agarcia17 I've omitted something the empty guide div should be added before the others with class category-item.

• Disable "pinterest" style of lavender theme

Moved
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    T

The Classic theme is based off of Lavender yet it does not have the pinterest-style categories.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

If it works for you, keep it up.

The semi-official way to do this is to fork the plugin you want to use, and make the appropriate changes.

Then, add the original repo as an upstream branch (using lavender as an example):

git remote add upstream https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-theme-lavender.git

When you want to update to the latest lavender for your theme, merge or rebase:

git checkout master && git fetch upstream && git merge upstream/master

• User field instead of username

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    A

Display Names aren't currently in NodeBB. Its not really something that has been requested that much. Considering you can change usernames.

• How to use images in themes ?

Moved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    esiaoE

@vatsal Yes I'm sure "folder-name" : "public/folder-name" means you can use /plugins/your-theme-name/folder-name/whatever
    The first parameter correspond to the name that will be used after theme-name/folder, while second parameter means this alias points to path.

• Modifying the Lavender Theme

Moved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    S

@baris
    Managed to find the following line

<div class="<!-- IF categories.class -->{categories.class}<!-- ELSE -->col-md-3 col-sm-6 col-xs-12<!-- ENDIF categories.class --> category-item" data-cid="{categories.cid}" data-numRecentReplies="{categories.numRecentReplies}">

in

./node_modules/nodebb-theme-lavender/templates/home.tpl

So I proceed to change it to

<div class="<!-- IF categories.class -->{categories.class}<!-- ELSE -->col-md-3 col-sm-6 col-xs-12<!-- ENDIF categories.class --> category-item category-class-{categories.cid}" data-cid="{categories.cid}" data-numRecentReplies="{categories.numRecentReplies}">

?

• Accessing category children...

Moved
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    T

Thanks @esiao I've been wondering how this would look.

• Copying Vanilla Theme

Moved
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    6k Views
    julianJ

Thanks for reporting the bug @mootzville, the templates property is no longer required in a custom theme's theme.json in v0.5.1 (but since we haven't even launched v0.5.0 yet, don't worry about a thing, the fix is backwards compatible)

• Theme Question

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    T

I usually make a custom.less file and put all my edits in there with or without the !important tag, as needed. @frissdiegurke 's fix should work as well.

• Using a script with Require.js support.

Moved
    1 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    J

@psychobunny I added you for a collaborator on my github project so there you can see everything you need. 🙂

• Adding theme options to the ACP.

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@psychobunny Collaboration. 😉

• Full featured themes and compatibility?

Moved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@pwFoo sagte:> @a_5mith

Vanilla has some little bugs
    Topic overview page and topics are clean and clearly arranged. Looks good!
    But often I have to reload the page (browser reload button) to load all styles... seems to be a bug.

Lavender seems to work stable.

After clear browser cache and node app / nodebb upgrade most bugs away...

Still there and so should be a bug. Copyright overlays category blocks with Cerulean and Vanilla theme, but should be at the bottom of the page.

Both view of topic list and single topics is fine. Maybe I have to find out how to tweak / change the home page (categories overview).

• Created a new theme, now what?

Moved
    1 Votes
    18 Posts
    7k Views
    A

@julian 😛 If you view his avatar in a new tab, he has a cool tattoo. 😄

• Template Logic Question

Moved
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    barisB

It is loggedIn everywhere now. https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/1900

• Need some advice on theme creation

Moved
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    R

@psychobunny with regards to your suggestions on stripping out features, I'll have the devs take a look at the disabling options you pointed out.

Integrating with my application:

We have integrated to some degree using the SSO plugin and hopefully it will continue to be as problem free. We are integrating this with a custom Laravel application. I am really not keen on using iFrames and would prefer a proper theme integration but if push comes to shove, I guess I'll have to settle for an iFrame integration.

At this stage, we're doing development in-house but of course if we run into issues I will shoot you guys an email. As for the theme design, I will definitely keep @trevor in mind. I have looked at his work and it does in fact looks very nice.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me and give me your advice on where to start looking; it is very appreciated.

Regards

• So I want to create a theme.

Moved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    esiaoE

Hello NodeBB users. Since I've chosen NodeBB to replace my current free hosted and created forum I need to create the custom theme that will go with it.
    Since it's a graphic community we have some features needed and that's why I've taken a look at plugins and the API to see if NodeBB is ready to answer our problematic. Mostly it's the case and the modular aspect is very appreciable.

So first question, how to do a child theme ? I've the quickstart theme and it seems that only importing the less of another theme do the job. (Vanilla in that case). But for instance if I want to use Lavander that is a lot more developed is that the same way ?
    Isn't that a bit ugly cause I assume it will be CSS replacement over imported CSS with new one too.
    Is there a best way to do it ?

Is a theme capable of interacting on templates and add features to the control panel like a plugin. For instance I absolutely need the sub category feature, because my forum today use a structure like :

Category Forum Sub forum Sub forum Archives (occasional)

So there's at least 3 levels needed and I'll need to figure out if there's a way to do so since it doesn't seem implemented in the actual NodeBB version.

Is it possible to add a new navigation, I think it's possible with a widget it doesn't seem like there's an existing one I might take a look on this.

I think this is not theme related so I'll stop here but these are the direct questions I have.
    Also I doesn't seems that this forum have a support category, I think it could be nice to add one in order to filter actual themes from requests/question ect... (same for plugins).