Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• Classic Home view

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    E

👍 cant wait 🙂

• Using page fields in widgets

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    A

@sergej-saveljev said:

@a_5mith \{posts.editor.username\} not work in widgets

Is that available in the api on the page you're viewing the widget on. I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Pinging @psychobunny as it's his templates.js. 🙂

• [nodebb-plugin-dbsearch] Erro invalid-tid

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

Try with 0.2.5 and let me know if it works.

• Additional resource variables

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    S

@sergej-saveljev said:

Show these fields widget, for example {myfield}

No, widgets are displayed after the page loads, they will not be visible to the search engines.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    S

@julian said:

Pagination may be a bad idea because we make the categories sortable on this list.

I not understand, but thanks, you everytime help for me. I created issue.

• Forgot password email sends invalid link

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

You need to cut the port out of the url within the config.json, put it into the port attribute.

{ "url": "http://example.com", "port": 8080 }

see https://community.nodebb.org/topic/3392/config-json-updated-base_url-and-relative_path-no-longer-exist/10

• New topic button not working.

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    5k Views
    A

@LeeM said:
    hopefully the dev version will become stable at some stage.

The dev version isn't stable, that's what the stable branch is for. 👍

• Search not working

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    M

Sure:

Ubuntu 14.04 on the server, OS X 10.10 on the client v0.6.1 - 6858a250c96c6cf757fde2fd2f06bf30fb0fe647 [email protected]
  • Apache 2.4.7 as proxy...

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    nhl.plN

You can use nginx as a proxy.

Phusion Passenger can be useful, too.
    https://www.phusionpassenger.com/
    https://github.com/phusion/passenger

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    nhl.plN

Yes, it will work in the background.

• Turn off warning in console

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    L

I am not using this for production, and have no clue why you think I do 😄

I am just developing some plugins and themes & would like to focus on the important errors my plugin / theme throws. Right now I can't even see my errors sometimes because they pass by so fast due to the large amount of warns.

@julian yeah I think that would be a great idea.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    LeeML

@Reik

awesome many thanks, that solved it 😄

+1 for rep

• 0 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    F

@psychobunny the thing is that a lot of controllers (e.g. users: https://github.com/FokkeZB/NodeBB/blob/patch-2/src/controllers/users.js) don't have hooks.

Since it's Express's default behaviour to merge res.locals I wouldn't know why you shouldn't apart from that with NodeBB this will end up on the client side as well if the template will be rendered there. So yes, then maybe res.globals would make sense to allow a plugin to set global variables for all templates to receive. But then.. that wouldn't allow you to do so only for specific templates. Which again means overhead.

• Widget Essentials not working

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    LeeML

@baris

thanks again, your previous advice resolved the issue, I updated Nodebb which reverted to the previous version of WE (0.2.18), I'm going to leave it as it is, really don't like messing around with the back end stuff, I'm still a noob.

many thanks appreciate your help 😄

Best, Lee

• Not able to create an account

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    JenklerJ

It works fine when in 0.6.x. So it must be a bug in 0.7.x

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    S

I just pulled the latest commit and it seems to be working now. Yessss, thank you. (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

• Installing nodebb on openshift

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    ahwayakchihA

Hi,

It looks like rhc app create nodebb nodejs-0.10 command did not create nodebb directory.

Please make sure, that you're running commands on your own computer, not through ssh on OpenShift side.

Try to remove nodebb from your OpenShift account and start from scratch.

Calling git init may seemed like it helped, but it created local only repository, which was not connected with any of the others (OpenShift, NodeBB and openshift-nodebb). That is why git push origin master did not work - origin remote was not configured.

• Help with DNS

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    LeeML

@nhl-pl and @julian , all is cool as they say, got help from digital ocean and am good to go now, thanks again to you both for helping - the post is here for anyone else that's looking.

regards, Lee 😁 😃

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    DimD

Perfect thanks

• Typo in MongoDB installation

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

If you install mongo via apt, I believe it is mongod, but via the 10gen repository, it is mongodb