Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Unable to create New Topic

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Is the plugin composer-default activated?

• 0 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    C

Nope i deleted the corrupted install, the only thing i have is the content of my output.log which i posted earlier.

There was this error :

TypeError: Parameter 'url' must be a string, not undefined

this error was repeating itself 3 or 4 times then the server crashed.

• Is my server migration process OK?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    N

@julian Great tips here, thanks.

• Outgoing links not working?

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    JamesJJ

Bump....?

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Thanks for the personal reply, @a_5mith .

Restarting initially appeared to fix the issue, and actually has fixed that issue, but suddenly now its turning every single link into an attempted imbed. I didn't change anything, at all, except run a restart, its worth noting.

http://coloradorks.com/topic/22/animas-river-no-longer-liver-failure-yellow-safe-for-use-again

It was working, then suddenly over a restart it stopped working, and now its gotten over eagar and is trying to pick up every link as an embed.

As for nodebb version and plugin version, they are respectively:
    NodeBB v0.7.1.

NodeBB Youtube Lite Plugin - Installed 0.4.1 | Latest 0.4.0

• Upgrade Errors v0.7.0 to v0.7.3

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    ?

Oh , I didn't realize that. They looked like error messages to me. Upon double checking my version of NodeBB is actually v0.7.2 not 0.7.3

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    PilvinenP

Yeah, that was it. Solved it myself. Only took like 6 hours. I hate Apache configuration so much ...

Here is the final solution for others in similar predicament:

How to remove ":4567" from your address properly with Apache + mod_rewrite

.htaccess:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} ^some.example.com/index.html
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://some.example.com:4567/ [NC,P,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^some.example.com
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://some.example.com:4567/$1 [NC,P,L]

Just replace the bolded addresses with your own domain, add into your root level .htaccess file and turn RewriteEngine on.

Explanation of what happens here:

The first line matches your address and if it contains some.example.com/ or some.example.com/index.html it replaces it with (on the seconds line) with some.example.com:4567

(without these two lines you will get errors when you try to display the main page because Apache adds "index.html" by default to the request which gets then handled by Nodebb because of the two lines below these first two - but there is no index.html to handle because of the way Nodebb is built)

NC = ignore case
    P = proxy, so that it is invisible to the user (they don't see the :4567)
    L = last rule, we stop if match is found

Third line matches only your host without the trailing /somepage.html or /images/someimage.png or what ever. And the last line replaces that with some.example.com:4567/ and adds the rest of the address with $1

This is rather useful if you are already running other websites besides the Nodebb forums with Apache on the same server. Because if you use the instructions in the documentation for ProxyPass you will get all of your web traffic rerouted with that configuration (unless you are running Nodebb from a subfolder, I think?)

Well, I hope this is of some use.

And remember to edit your config.json:

"url": "http://some.example.com",
    "port": "4567",

If you find errors in any of this please post here.

• Adsense Ads wont load properly

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    D

@baris Thanks for the tip. I did disable ajaxify for anchor tags as you said, restarted nodebb and it worked! It loads ads properly!!

Thank you so much, I was looking for this part since so long! 👍 😄

Will test more for whether it breaks other things or is all set and keep this thread updated.

• NodeBB Plugin-Mentions out of date?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    S

Thanks @julian and @yariplus I will hold off from clicking that upgrade button for now. 🙂

• Need admin rights back - Database hosed from smf import

Solved
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    A

You're more than welcome to submit a pull request so the plugin takes into account you deleting UID1. Until then, being ungrateful about someone giving up more than 96 hours of their time making a plugin others can benefit from seems a little shallow.

Your issues may have spanned from the plugin being old/out of date. This is an issue when making plugins during a forums infancy, as development goes on, changes need to be made. But again, pull requests can be made to combat this.

• Having issues with composer buttons

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    JenklerJ

Any updates on the issue?

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

@prog At current, no. Our servers are based in a New York datacenter, but we do not use CDN for global delivery of assets like the client js and css.

• Nginx config: Redirect www requests to non-www

Solved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    H

@Kowlin some of their tutorials are confusing but some I've found to be excellent. I think it depends on the tutor perhaps?

• Can't restore nodebb

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    C

I fixed it using https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/1163

and setting to todays date, so now it says "Schema is up-to-date" and all works perfectly.

I hope its ok now? xD

• User/ Profile settings button or link

Moved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    yariplusY

@Ziggy said:

Maybe the online status in (2) should be on the profile photo at (1).

This. 👍

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    tfraleyT

Thanks for looking into that for me @pichalite

• Wrong topics and posts counting

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    barisB

Yeah the calculation doesn't work for subcategories, one reason is we don't have a recursive function to get all children and calculate the counts also we don't have a list of children category ids per category so without adding that this is difficult to achieve.

• .htaccess files and NodeBB

Unsolved
    2 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    H

Please forgive my newbie question but can .htaccess files be used with NodeBB?

I usually enable them via Apache and then place one in my project's root directory but I have no idea where that is with reference to NodeBB.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    M

I think I figured this out after trying to run it locally,

The Heroku install steps say to add the follow dependencies to you package.json:

"dependencies": { ... "nodebb-plugin-dbsearch": "0.0.10", "redis": "~0.10.1", "connect-redis": "~2.0.0" }, "devDependencies": {

But looking closer, nodebb-plugin-dbsearch is already in the package.json at a higher version. This conflict seemed to cause the crash.

I am guessing that recent versions of nodeBB have changed so this part of the doc is no longer applicable. Here is a pull request to adjust the docs, if I am correct in this assumption:

https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-english/pull/51

• How to add Recent Topics to homepage?

Solved
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    5k Views
    JenklerJ

Yeah! I have this plugin on all my sites 😉

https://www.nodebb.se https://forum.tummenur.nu http://forum.mammagrupper.com

I just love it 😛