Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Invalid CSRF token on 0.7.1

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    Theodore PhamT

It seems that some users had to clear cookies (and maybe html5 localstorage) to get pass the Forbidden error, even after it was fixed for me. When I was having the problem initially, clearing cookies didn't seem to help, but at least one form of the error is due to having outdated cookies. This may have been caused by changing the secret key in config.json.

• Widget area's Persona and wide button

Moved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    maniM

@julian how can I add other area to Persona ? I just want some in the Home, other in the Detail.

• Problem installing NodeBB

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    BriB

Also it looks like the redis version is a little old, you might want to upgrade that too: https://community.nodebb.org/topic/5935/problem-with-redis-upgrade

• 0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

@Juxtapo What do the MongoDB logs suggest is the problem?

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    Zig.gyZ

Thank you @markkus and @jarey for your replies. I did what you suggested about re-installation and the problem persisted. I then discovered something...

...the installation manual may be outdated. The file in question on Step 7 is mongod.conf instead of mongodb.conf.

Step 7 Corrected.png

step7.png

Can @psychobunny or whoever in charge of the Doc double check this and make the proper correction?

• Broke everything trying to mess with persona

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    A

As I am a irreparable idiot, in the pursuit of messing with my Lavender/Persona hibrid theme I in some likely unrelated way totally destroyed everything.

I was messing around with CSS, hit restart, and the server went down, hard. And hasnt come back since. I've tried restarting the server, running nodebb resets for widgets, themes, and plugins, restarting nodebb what must be 50 times.

The log output I'm getting is:

Clustering enabled: Spinning up 1 process(es).

26/7 19:57 [1252] - info: Time: Sun Jul 26 2015 19:57:53 GMT-0400 (EDT)
    26/7 19:57 [1252] - info: Initializing NodeBB v0.7.1
    26/7 19:57 [1252] - error: [meta.dependencies] Could not read: nodebb-plugin-spam-be-gone
    [cluster] Child Process (1252) has exited (code: 0, signal: null)

and when I try to access the page, I get a:

This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

I assumed this was a redis issue, so I tried restarting redis to no efffect, I know I disabled the emoji plugin so tried to reinstall it via SSH but it didnt help.

Any suggestions for getting this back up and running?

Edit 1: Tried running npm install to see if it could be some update issue, will update with results.
    Edit 2: running npm install appears to have fixed it. Future people with this issue, use NPM install and dont be an idiot like me resetting everything.

• Lavender theme masonry on Persona

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    yariplusY

Hmm, That should work, as long as you changed all the identifiers. I've done the same thing with my own themes.

• Quit admin group when I am the only user

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

Try removing vanilla theme with npm r nodebb-theme-vanilla then try again.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    drewD

@julian the inherited themes didn't work before, but is it possible that now you've made this commit:
    https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-theme-lavender/commit/7f8e9e4df0f0d20e8b83ab096c1443544df9bd4c
    There is scope for the template inheritance to be used there instead of the hardcoded rule 'nodebb-theme-vanilla/templates'?

Right now I'm maintaining an entire theme that's a fork of lavender just so I can restyle one or two pages.

• Cant setup Nodebb on my Website that uses centos vpn

Unsolved
    1 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    F

Yea now mongo cant connect to my databse god 4th day i reinstalled my vps 5 times..

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    T

Thanks for all the help!

For anyone else with this issue, the end solution was setting up the server via SSH not using the web console, shutting down nodebb with ./nodebb stop

running:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:chris-lea/redis-server

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install redis-server

to update redis, then starting nodebb back up using

./nodebb start

• 0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    A

Will take a look when I get home. Or just use firebug inspect element for the topic li.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    theflickxT

@noder said:

https://community.nodebb.org/topic/4312/how-to-install-nodebb-on-my-website

@julian said:

Hello there!

NodeBB is designed to work best under a virtual private server. Using a traditional hosting service is not recommended as they do not have the capabilities to power NodeBB effectively.

The code and instructions can be found here at our project repository Full instructions can be found in our Documentation Portal We recommend DigitalOcean to host your NodeBB, you'll get a month free just by registering with this link. You can also try applying the 10TOSHIP coupon to get another two months free.

Thank you for your interest in NodeBB!

@julian said:

To answer your last query, NodeBB supports both 😄

Thank you to both of you 🙂

• headers already sent

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    _

aye, the first error that i had was causing the problem. i fixed the issue with redis, and everything else fell into place.

• Failed migration of NodeBB

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    7k Views
    F

@julian said:

Ensure that the config.json still points to the same database... if it's a blank site, then NodeBB is reading an empty database...

Before upgrading, config.json was pointing to Redis DB 0. After upgrading, it's still pointing to Redis DB 0. The configured Redis password still matches.

So not sure, how to proceed from here.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    E

No problem @julian , thanks for letting us know 🙂

• 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    7k Views
    jareyJ

@jinx glad to hear you got it working :).

• NodeBB stuck at v0.7.0 - Says no update is found

Locked Solved
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    4k Views
    julianJ

Please refer to the latest instructions here: https://community.nodebb.org/topic/6088/update-merge-issue/7

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    Charly86C

Julian,
    Yeah I saw this, but in fact it's more the way it's showed that I would like 😉 I know it's just presentation but this make it easy to show which category is the most active