Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• Could use some help Facebook Error.

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    tfraleyT

Wow.. Awesome guess I missed that.
    That did the job, thanks again.

• Proper HTTPS with user content.

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    nhl.plN

NodeBB Secure Images plugin:
    https://github.com/psychobunny/nodebb-plugin-secure-images
    https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodebb-plugin-secure-images

• Seems to stall on Android/Chrome

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    4k Views
    P

Tried on chrome, this is the result

The forum continues to work as normal, but ad doesn't appear

EDIT:

is causing some server side or client side rendering / blocking?

More importantly, I'm not getting an issue like this. The only issue is that the sidebar is empty, for me

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    S

Agree, just have to get used to the differences between what you have in NodeBB and PHP temptate engines like Smarty and vBulletin's built in engine.

• Raspberry Pi

0 Votes
    14 Posts
    5k Views
    P

I had a fairly smooth setup going with version 6..... Just email dramas.

Seemed more than stable.

I couldn't believe how fast it served the forum. I was amazed lol

The worry was building out the forum then it come unstable once too many users and posts clogged up the system.

Seemed fine with basically no posts and 3 users on at once. PM etc was all fast.

Using a cloud system to build it all out for now. Once I get the backing up and restoring all sorted I'll have a look at moving back to the Pi. Extreme Noob. Still haven't worked out or researched backups lol.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    R

Sorry, but no. 😦
    The responsible code is quite strict about that:
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/blob/ed173e0a32/src%2Fmiddleware%2Fmiddleware.js#L434

Do you have a GitHub account? I would make it a feature request, but I can't say anything about its chances.

• Error on setup + Domain clarification

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    V

@julian Hi! so I got everything going. The forum was up for like...2 minutes on forum.plus1forcharisma.com...and not it's showing bad gateway :C

• The Theme Advertised on Nodebb Github Page

Moved Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@chrismccoy said:

lavender im pretty sure

This

• Unable To Upload Avatars

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    S

@rbeer That did the trick, thanks a bunch!

• User managment with flask

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    K

Thx for the quick reply 👍

Kobold

• Redirect subdomain to NodeBB IP with nginx

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Thanks @SimonQ! I'm sure that will be very helpful 🙂

• 1 Votes
    13 Posts
    5k Views
    S

@julian This may sound silly but, if I were to place the dump.rdb file back into /var/lib/redis (from my NodeBB install) and reset my server from there would anything horrible go wrong?

• Help - Name of a specific theme

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    reidR

You're looking at an older version of Majestic. It's very outdated now, but you can purchase newer versions on the forum.
    v4: https://community.nodebb.org/topic/3279/majestic-4-5-final
    v5: https://community.nodebb.org/topic/4017/majestic-5

• 1 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

@sonia @baris we should launch shouldn't we... :trollface:

After 0.7.0 I think we wanted to launch weekly or something

• Creating a Page and Altering Templates

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    C

i decidede to fork the recent cards plugin, and modify it to have the html markup i want only on the category page.

• TeamSpeak Plugin

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    D

Moved to: https://community.nodebb.org/topic/5998/nodebb-plugin-teamspeak-0-5-to-0-7

• Can't move one category to another

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    leksarL

Sorry for your time. Was too forgetful to check server logs. It's my mistake, I didn't deactivate the nodebb-plugin-ns-slugify which made for 0.7.1 version, not for 0.7.0. 😐

• Getting variables (eg total post count, etc)

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    reidR

@psychobunny thanks!

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Thanks @baris that did the trick

• unknown error while updating vanilla theme

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    Blue-OrangeB

@julian That's very stupid of me....i was thinking the time in Canada is 5 hours later then here but i have been mistaken with the time in Indonesia Where my daughter spent her trip. In Indonesia it's 5 hours later then Europe [Netherlands] My apologies for my mistake