Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Thank you very much, this seems to have done the trick

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

This may be intentional. Guests do not receive the same real time benefits that registered users do, as it is a not-insignificant cost to the server.

Perhaps that would explain it.

• Javascript errors in latest 0.7.x

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    barisB

We haven't figured out why this is happening yet, relevant GH issue https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/3200

• 0 Votes
    11 Posts
    4k Views
    P

I just updated you to the latest core + theme 🙂

• npm install mmmagic

Solved
    1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    leksarL

Just spent 3 hours trying to resolve it. You are my hero !

• Files suddenly deleted...?

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Thanks @julian I am using a Mac at the moment to run this locally on my machine. The config you're referring to is the config.json found in the root folder?

I can "redis-server" in the root of my nodebb project with a config.json file inside it.

Sorry for not providing enough info, still new to this

• Forbidden and invalid csrf token

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    A

I got this error when didn't apply x-csrf-token header to the request. Is there any custom requests?
    It should be done like this: https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/blob/master/public/src/client/login.js#L28

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

Yes socket.io announces to all clients, it does this by using redis pubsub. So if you have more than one nodebb instance it is advised to setup redis.

Link Preview Image NodeBB/src/socket.io/index.js at master · NodeBB/NodeBB

Node.js based forum software built for the modern web - NodeBB/src/socket.io/index.js at master · NodeBB/NodeBB

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• Custom pages break

0 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    yariplusY

@Fez-Vrasta Hey

It sounds like you may be misunderstanding what the custom-pages plugin does. (I assume that's the one you are using.)

You should not be creating a page for it route too. You are meant to add HTML widgets to the page on the Widgets panel. Then whenever you restart, it compiles that page for you.

• Transfer Localhost Files to Hosting Service

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    codejetC

upload the files to a directory,
    put dump.rdb in /etc ..
    make sure the file has right perms, or it will get nulled when you restart redis.

restart redis check dump.rdb hasn't changed. start nodebb

I would think it would work unless npm install compiles differently during the setup phase on another OS 🙂

• 0 Votes
    27 Posts
    15k Views
    W

@BDHarrington7 Thanks a lot man, you've done some great enlightening regarding switching those tags 😉
    /sbin/cheers

• Template changes on refresh

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    boxhockB

@psychobunny said:

Could be a caching issue, try ctrl-del and clear? I notice this seems to be a problem when people develop themes on a production environment

This fixed it. Thank you!

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    M

I noticed there are many bug fixes on master branch, are those bug fix code also merged to v0.7.x branch?

which one is more stable? master branch or v0.7.x ?

also for plugins, how do i know whether those plugins working on v.0.7.x or master ?

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    5k Views
    Y

Hi folks,

I used the 2.4 proxy instructions from the docs. But it's not working correctly for me. I assume because I want the proxy to only work on '/community'.

Here's my current setup:

I have a proxy here: https://openrct2.com/community (HTTPS) NodeBB actually runs on: http://delia.limetric.com:4567/community/ (just normal HTTP)

The proxy itself works great, but socket.io keeps complaining about not being able to connect using websockets: "WebSocket connection to 'wss://openrct2.com/community/socket.io/?EIO=3&transport=websocket&sid=OORktGqFRszzHMQNAAWr' failed: Error during WebSocket handshake: Unexpected response code: 400"

Here's a pastebin to my Apache config: http://pastebin.com/UMMadXVR

What should I change to my config to make websockets work correctly?

Thanks in advance.

• Hide navbar title?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    leksarL

Could you make a screenshot ?

• How to import Allura exports (json)

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    M

Thank you for the links. As the "how to import" question will be important for many users I'd highly suggest to add this information into the docs and wiki.

Did no one (including the "paid support") wrote this importer before?
    If not I'd even suggest the "paid support" have at least a thought if an official import option for Allura exports would help nodeBB in general to grow - especially now as SourceForge (which uses Allura and has the same export) looses users which look for alternatives which are able to import the old forum data with as less as possible effort.

• Getting Error while searching an User

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    A

Hey Baris,

tried to update still same version. Got some special command for me?

• bug: Stopped working in animation avatars.

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    ?

@psychobunny Strange, but even after the animation is not working.

Well, everything was working after I removed gm from node_modules.

Why on this forum is a module nodebb-plugin-imagemagick not install?

• Ordinary timestamps

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    P

I think it would take a little bit of magic but not overly complicated. You'll have to basically override the timeago lib on document load

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    ?

444.png

555.png

I pressed the button "Mark all notifications read" but the notice still active.
    It is necessary to update the page.