Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

0.9.x doesn't have that code, you are probably on master. Try doing a git pull.

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    J

@ZenOokami said:

I don't think it was Mongodb's user or db being the issue ._.
    Pretty sure "host identifier" has something to do with either nodebb or mongo's hosting setup, but I think it was that of NodeBB

on the second time it wasn't accepting my webInstaller settings - not through the command line.

But thanks.

I wasn't talking about host identifier, I was talking about how to set up using auth and managing your DB's.

You having connection issues you should post all your logs, including nodebb, nginx configurations etc.

You said:

double colon in host identifier

Most likely issue with having a wrong syntax with the config.

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    A

Well idk how but it works: https://minova.co what's the case??? Did I break it or what?

• Users access to uploaded files

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@julian

Thanks mate...

I had a bit of a play with it.... Works as advertised... Great plugin.

I'd love the ability to share a copy of the assets folder somehow as well tho. But I know this wouldn't be very safe.

• 0.7.3 -> 0.9.x

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    julianJ

Possibly. Try this.

In src/meta/dependencies.js, change the beginning of the function definition for Meta.dependencies.check like so:

Meta.dependencies.check = function(callback) { return callback(); // ... rest of method
  • NodeBB installation in a directory

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    ?

First of all your NGINX config is incorrect. You want to access the forum under /community, but are using /forum in it.
    This is a simplified version of my NGINX config:
    http://pastebin.com/85TqUXyH

And here my config.json:
    http://pastebin.com/5QiE4EMF

• Does not work search

Solved
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    olegO

@agusputra yeah its truly, but it can update only from console via npm i nodebb-plugin-dbsearch

• Signed SSL Not Working NodeBB

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    ?

@Verpz share your Apache config. I suspect it to be wrong.

Also check the log files of NodeBB for any errors.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    A

@frissdiegurke Thanks!

Thankfully, Pichalite was able to talk me up to 0.7.3, now we're trying to get up from there.

• 0 Votes
    13 Posts
    5k Views
    InsI

Sorry for the ress, but I solve this in Persona with HTML and CSS, just declarating the Sidebar widget-area in categories.tpl and CSS to fix the categories width.
    I'm newbie with front-end, but this "fix" is functional atm.

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Yeah, the nginx config for subfolder installs is a bit tricky 😄 Glad you got it working!

• NodeBB logged in user details api endpoint

2 Votes
    1 Posts
    Usama HameedU

Hi,

I am a relatively new web developer, and wanted to know whether this was a good enough approach to my problem.

I have nodebb forums running on a subdomain, and want some of the details of the logged in user to be available to my main domain. I do not want a full fledged sso system or something like that, as I want minimum hassle. I was thinking of the following method, and wanted whether this is feasible from a technical and security point of view.

I was thinking of setting '.example.com' for my express cookie session so it is available on my main domain. From there, I can use this cookie to make a cURL request to a custom api endpoint on my forums, which basically returns the users details if the cookie can be authenticated.

I hope someone can help me, as I am unsure from a security point of view whether it is feasible.

Thanks

• Backup?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    GeraldG

Thank you.

Works like a charm. @Bri and @pichalite

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    MagicVishM

@Kowlin Hey, thank you for your time in response, and for sure i have done my research on this amazing software forum, i agree it is one of a kind 🙂
    i have VPS server,
    you know anyone that can possibly help ?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    R

@Pappmann https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/blob/v0.9.x/src/emailer.js

For a quick hack, just change the second 'direct' to 'sendmail' in line 17.

For a real patch, change the name in the array, too (rename the first direct to sendmail), and then change it in line 118, too.

• Unable to post, reply or make thread

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    GeraldG

Title basically says it all, I installed a plugin, then when I went try and post on my forum, I wasn't able to.

So I uninstalled the plugins using this thread - https://community.nodebb.org/topic/1270/disable-plugin-from-cli/5

Checked if the plugins were on the site and they were, event checked on root. Any ideas?

• Maximum password length: DOS Potential

4 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    P

@bentael said:

@psychobunny what about showing a captcha after 2 or 3 failed logins?

Yup that works 👍

• CDN for External Files

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    yariplusY

You need a plugin that uses the filter:uploadFile hook to do that.

It doesn't look like any exist yet.

What CDN did you want to use?

• How to fetch more data for Categories page

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    thuanpq.ioT

done, I can call a function when this hook is fired filter:categories.build

• Persona Theme issue after updating to 0.9.3

0 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    BriB

+1 on keeping it in English. It's hard enough to keep one language of the doc portal in sync.