Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Using {user.username} in "Custom Header"

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    P

@Harry-Nikolov You will have to move it to the theme templates

• Create a custom page within NodeBB application

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    L

Opps I think I figure it out XD I just have to go to the widget section and select the custom page i created. 🙂

• Forum down

0 Votes
    31 Posts
    10k Views
    R

@AOKP THx for your help -- I have a new instance of NodeBB (on Ubuntu 14.04) up and running.

The testing continues.

• Server crashes when viewing posts

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    GaryBuseyG

I rolled back to mongo 3.0.8 and that seems to have fixed it for now.

• Remove accents from URL

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    Ne HoN

is this a solution?

Link Preview Image GitHub - andrewrk/node-diacritics: remove diacritics from strings ("ascii folding") - Node.js module

remove diacritics from strings ("ascii folding") - Node.js module - andrewrk/node-diacritics

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• I'm having the same problem

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

Fixed on latest master.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    2 Posts
  • NodeBB Startup Error // 502 Bad Gateway

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    S

Alright, problem fixed, thanks guys.

It was because of the template whitespace/indents messing up since I was copying from a file into the terminal.

Thanks 🙂

• Changing the path of upload center

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    S

@julian
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/pull/4007

I have added this feature to the forum, we can now add nice features,Like FTP and SFTP support!

• unable to add users to chat room

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    L

Baris thanks for the reply, I updated it with your latest commit and it works perfect! Thanks for the fast reply and fast fix 🙂

• Disable Ajax?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    ?

We all know the cool Ajax effects on NodeBB. However I would like to disable it.

I already commented the last few lines on the ajaxify.js, but then people will end up on a page without the posts, after they have posted or edited a post (only occurs on mobile).

• Getting errors doing npm install --production

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@Lettuce run this sudo apt-get install libkrb5-dev

• Can I restrict tags to a specific set?

1 Votes
    1 Posts
    D

I think I've seen this feature on other forum software (Discourse maybe) and definitely on Stack Exchange. You basically are not allowed to tag a topic unless the tag already exists.

• Fresh install ?

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    4k Views
    djcyryD

@pichalite said:

@djcyry paste the contents of your config.json

{
    "url": "https://www.nodebb.es",
    "port": "4568",
    "secret": "86df865a-c4a2-4060-be42-be1cdbf1b3cd",
    "database": "redis",
    "redis": {
    "host": "127.0.0.1",
    "port": "6379",
    "password": "pass",
    "database": "1"
    }
    }

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    A

Any ideas?

• Soundcloud embed not working anymore

0 Votes
    21 Posts
    9k Views
    M

@julian said:

@MJ Would recommend only activating the minimum number of plugins.

Run ./nodebb reset -p and then start NodeBB. Activate the following:

composer-default markdown soundcloud-embed

Then see if it works.

I have only these plugins

nodebb-plugin-composer-default
    nodebb-plugin-markdown
    nodebb-plugin-mentions
    nodebb-widget-essentials
    nodebb-rewards-essentials
    nodebb-plugin-soundpack-default
    nodebb-plugin-custom-pages
    nodebb-plugin-dbsearch
    nodebb-plugin-emailer-local
    nodebb-plugin-google-analytics
    nodebb-plugin-imgbed
    nodebb-plugin-youtube-lite
    nodebb-plugin-soundcloud

do you think it is to much?

• Error after update to 0.9.3

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    10k Views
    djcyryD

I have run again ./nodebb setup , update the system , run in dev mode ...same problem .
    The database is crashing , not loading the topics .

0_1450788721810_AVlOT8t.png

I dont know ..is strange , i have update both forums , and nodebb.es , have this problem .... 😥

@julian can you please help me with this ? i am stuck .. 😞

• Unable to initialize MongoDB! Is MongoDB installed

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    F

@pichalite said:

npm ls connect-mongo

I started the instalation from scratch, now using the answer from:
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/7302/fatal-error-nan-h-no-such-file-or-directory
    after npm start and database configuration I received the message:

make: Entering directory /root/nodebb/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/kerberos/build' CXX(target) Release/obj.target/kerberos/lib/kerberos.o In file included from ../lib/kerberos.cc:1:0: ../lib/kerberos.h:5:27: fatal error: gssapi/gssapi.h: No such file or directory #include <gssapi/gssapi.h> ^ compilation terminated. make: *** [Release/obj.target/kerberos/lib/kerberos.o] Error 1 make: Leaving directory /root/nodebb/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/kerberos/build'
    gyp ERR! build error
    gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
    gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/root/nodebb/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:276:23)
    gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
    gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:172:7)
    gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:200:12)
    gyp ERR! System Linux 3.13.0-71-generic
    gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/nodejs" "/root/nodebb/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
    gyp ERR! cwd /root/nodebb/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/kerberos
    gyp ERR! node -v v4.2.3
    gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.2.1
    gyp ERR! not ok
    [email protected] node_modules/connect-mongo

so I ran: sudo apt-get install libkrb5-dev and finally ./nodebb start

Now everything worked like a charm.

Thx.

• How to translate a theme? - Need help

Moved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    kacemlightK

@pichalite Thank you 🙂

• Noob questions about upgrade 0.8.2 to 0.9.2

1 Votes
    17 Posts
    4k Views
    Jacob MoenJ

@MJ I haven't tested it yet because my installation works and I don't feel like reinstalling just yet 🙂
    However, from what I've read, doing a git hard reset is what 'you should do', apparently.
    My problem was that I thought I could perform a ./nodebb upgrade on an install that I did from a downloaded archive. You need to have checked it out from git. (I reckon). 😉