Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Hooks help

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    P

@Whiplash174 don't think it's a problem with the hook. The warning on the startup is just an indication that the hook will be removed in the future but it works now.

Looks like the problem is with the plugin when it tries to delete the awards for the deleted user. Create an issue on the plugin github page.

• Problem terminal

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    ?

@Gerald you put a password into your config.json, even though Redis is not using one.

Also try running:
    npm i [email protected]

• Changing names votes?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    KowlinK

After digging into this is appears that there's actually no language strings for like and dislike, however there's a alternative to the default reputation system, and that is @Nicolas his likes plugin. This will work with the latest version of NodeBB.

• can´t upgrade -> Unable to initialize MongoDB

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    PappmannP

i treid some things now i have folowing error

error: Unable to initialize MongoDB! Is MongoDB installed? Error :Cannot find module 'connect-mongo' 9/1 03:56 [23336] - error: Error: Cannot find module 'connect-mongo'

i tried

npm i connect-mongo

but that does not help

i had to run

./nodebb setup

before i can start nodebb again.

• Domain Not Updating

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    KowlinK

Issue is solved, seemed to be a wrongly set Allowed-from setting under Settings->Advanced->Headers

• Templating question: users.lastonlineISO?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    W

It works great @pichalite

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    L

Hi guys.
    I receive the following error after follow the instruction to install the plug in. It seems like there are some people also not able to fix it. However I saw in this post it is being solved. Can anyone that experience this share their solutions? 🙂

0_1452213318337_upload-33050886-5079-46af-bb45-a2f41ba43bd9

It also came with the following error in log

8/1 04:13 [204] - error: /api/admin/uploadlogo
    Error: invalid-refresh-token
    at refreshToken (/app/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-imgur/index.js:102:20)
    at Request._callback (/app/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-imgur/index.js:216:13)
    at Request.self.callback (/app/node_modules/request/request.js:198:22)
    at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
    at Request.emit (events.js:172:7)
    at Request.<anonymous> (/app/node_modules/request/request.js:1035:10)
    at emitOne (events.js:82:20)
    at Request.emit (events.js:169:7)
    at IncomingMessage.<anonymous> (/app/node_modules/request/request.js:962:12)
    at emitNone (events.js:72:20)
    at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:166:7)

• Global plugins - help

1 Votes
    16 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@Gerald sent a PM

P.S: I am not one of the "GUYS". Just a fellow user helping.

• Image loss issue

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    P

@linan2332 after you install and activate imgur plugin, site logo and category image upload also uploads to imgur.

• Create a NodeBB installation test on localhost

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    DakoomD

Ok, I installed Git, now the command works. Currently cloning... and finally installing dependencises... and I received these erros:

It also ask me now for a redis database name. What should I write for it?

npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: lodash@<2.0.0 is no longer maintained. Upgrade to lodash@^3.0.0
    npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: lodash@<2.0.0 is no longer maintained. Upgrade to lodash@^3.0.0

[email protected] install /Users/Dakoom/NodeBB/node_modules/bufferutil
    node-gyp rebuild

xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance

xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance

CXX(target) Release/obj.target/bufferutil/src/bufferutil.o
    SOLINK_MODULE(target) Release/bufferutil.node

[email protected] install /Users/Dakoom/NodeBB/node_modules/utf-8-validate
    node-gyp rebuild

CXX(target) Release/obj.target/validation/src/validation.o
    SOLINK_MODULE(target) Release/validation.node

[email protected] install /Users/Dakoom/NodeBB/node_modules/heapdump
    node-gyp rebuild

CXX(target) Release/obj.target/addon/src/heapdump.o
    SOLINK_MODULE(target) Release/addon.node

EDIT: Ok, installed. Then I suppose that when I entered the db name it automatically created it. Ok, I have it installed and I'll try it a little bit! 🙂 Thank you all for your suggestions!

• Topic Errors in logs, crashing app

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    W

Yes master branch (accidentally but dont want to have to downgrade) 😄 Thanks

• Problem with upload image

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    S

okay, just a problem with the format : i convert my jpg on png and all is ok (with or without redactor)

• Selecting Custom Theme in Heroku

Moved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    danielflippanceD

Or perhaps there is some way to specify which theme to use when starting the NodeBB server? I can't see a way to do this in the config.json file. Can it be changed on the command line? I'm starting it on Heroku by just running the app.js:

node app.js
  • Distinct Forum/Subforum templating

Moved
    1 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    ShardS

Aside from building some pretty if/else blocks, is there any way to specify a distinct template for a particular forum or subforum?

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    L

Figure it out 🙂 just do
    .shoutbox .panel.panel-default .panel-heading .panel-title {visibility: hidden;}

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    ?

For some reason I do not even need the anti spam plugins (yep I got all of them disabled).

However, I would simply disable Askimet and enable the other spam filters instead.

• Cannot change user's full name, sorta

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

The change was actually happening but the fullname wasn't being displayed to admins/regular users if the setting display fullname is off.

• pull my translation from transifex,how

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Please apply once again in Transifex 🙂

• 502 Bad Gateway (Shut down all leet websites)

-1 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Try this: http://leet.cc/#section-contact