How to Reserve Screen Space for the Global Sidebar



  • Using the global sidebar puts things exactly where we want them and works great. The only issue that we are experiencing is that when doing so the page renders and then the sidebar... which is great we don't want to hold up the page load experience. The issue is that the space for the sidebar is not reserved and loading causes the page to load at one width and then later to resize causing it to jump around for users.


  • Admin

    We have a widget system refactor planned, and for ex. that's why persona doesn't utilize the widget system at the moment until we figure out the details. It's a 1.0 thing, we have a bunch of other things to sort out first, just to give you an idea of the timeline



  • So maybe Q1 2016 time frame, if all goes well?


  • Admin

    I'm assuming yes, the idea is we plan to release 1.0 end of December 2015, but you can add the "blizzard tax" (Blizzard the company that is, not because we're Canadian) which buys us a few months or so. End of Q1 is more than feasible IMO, we want to jump to 1.0 soon and then start pushing major versions often as a habit (see Chrome)


  • GNU/Linux

    @psychobunny said:

    we want to jump to 1.0 soon and then start pushing major versions often as a habit (see Chrome)

    Sounds like someone has read the semver specs :+1: Nice to know


  • Admin

    I haven't read it. That's what Baris and Julian do #backtoduhsign


  • Admin

    @frissdiegurke said:

    @psychobunny said:

    we want to jump to 1.0 soon and then start pushing major versions often as a habit (see Chrome)

    Sounds like someone has read the semver specs :+1: Nice to know

    We've been following semver for quite some time, the 0.x branches have been us practicing :)



  • @psychobunny said:

    I'm assuming yes, the idea is we plan to release 1.0 end of December 2015, but you can add the "blizzard tax" (Blizzard the company that is, not because we're Canadian) which buys us a few months or so. End of Q1 is more than feasible IMO, we want to jump to 1.0 soon and then start pushing major versions often as a habit (see Chrome)

    How much does the blizzard tax (little b for being Canadian) cost you on top of the big B one?


  • Admin

    Depends how many of us make it through the winter :grimacing: :maple_leaf: :cold_sweat:



  • @julian said:

    Depends how many of us make it through the winter :grimacing: :maple_leaf: :cold_sweat:

    Maybe you need to reconsider the location of your operations. Life is much cheaper and warmer here in Central America :)



  • That maple leaf looks suspiciously not like a maple leaf.


  • Admin

    Now that you mention it... but there's no :marijuana: or :weed: emoji, so now we'll never know if it was a simple recolour.



  • Sorry for the ress, but I solve this in Persona with HTML and CSS, just declarating the Sidebar widget-area in categories.tpl and CSS to fix the categories width.
    I'm newbie with front-end, but this "fix" is functional atm.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.