Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• Problem of Internal Server Error

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    Per0xP

@pummelchen Thanks for the response.
    Ok for the solution, but If that's true, it's still strange behavior. My forum is in a test period so indeed it doesn't have much traffic, but I come by at least once a day to see just how frequent the error is. It means that if we go on vacation and nobody visits our forum for a few days, when we get back all the owners of a forum under nodeBB have chances to see this error? That's annoying.

• Issue after port forwarding

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    Anthony GencarelliA

I got it working

• 1 Votes
    2 Posts
    B

with now nodebb 1.9.3 it's possible. wonderful !

0_1528914478088_Screenshot from 2018-06-13 20-25-47.png

• How long will it take before I could use my nodebb setup?

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    G

@dravere Thankyou. That worked. Configuring my forum now. NodeBB looks solid. Will update when it is live.

• Error: Invalid Data while viewing edit history

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    barisB

@dravere I think the bug only happened if the user's system time was off.

• Pass UID or other variables on route?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    PitaJP

Well you could maybe use a javascript: link.

javascript:window.open('paypal.com/.../?uid=' + app.user.uid)
  • Session Mismatch

1 Votes
    15 Posts
    3k Views
    I

@julian said in Session Mismatch:

@isag said in Session Mismatch:

Other way would be that nodebb can handle ldap integration out of the box...That would be damn awesome!

Heheh... unfortunately for you that won't happen because not everybody wants or needs LDAP integration, so we encourage the use of plugins so that a NodeBB can be customised to the exact needs of the admin.

Thats great but ldap plugin seems to be outdated, no one answers for issue on github, so development somehow has been stopped and local users can't be used at the moment.

• Event loop lag threshold clarification needed

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    D

There is the traffic management settings and the option to set the threshold for the event loop lag. Under the value you can set there is a short help text that confuses me a bit:

Lowering this value decreases wait times for page loads, but will also show the "excessive load" message to more users.

Why does lowering of this value decrease wait times for page loads? I went through the code and I didn't feel like this value would change anything in regards to the page load time. What am I missing?

• Elasticsearch Search for NodeBB

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    J

@atayz said:

Yet the dbsearch doesn't support non-Roman alphabet languages for some reason

You can try the NodeBB plugin for Solr search (open source), that supports a large number of languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc. See step by step details.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    3 Posts
  • This topic is deleted!

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    0xA4B160

I run into the same issue with nginx without any Cloudfare rules set for the forum and without any CDN active, so the webserver serves content directly.

Fix:

NodeBB
    config.json

There should be no forward slash at the end which complies with the documentation:

"url": "https://blabla.com/forum",

nginx.conf

here note the double slash on the first line /forum/

The double slash solves the issue, at least during initial testing on different browsers and devices.
    Not sure if this is a Windows/nginx specific thing as the path's are set a bit different.

[...] location /forum/ { proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr; proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for; proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme; proxy_set_header Host $http_host; proxy_set_header X-NginX-Proxy true; # proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:4567; proxy_pass http://io_nodes; proxy_redirect off; proxy_http_version 1.1; proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade; proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade"; }
  • 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    D

Hi

I m trying the Nodebb free trial . Love the forums.

Could you please help with basic set up for dev on windows, like what javascript IDE I should use and repository set up etc.

I haven't done proper development for so many years, last IDE I used was eclipse I guess

I want to override some stuff, like Changing text 'New topic' to 'Submit'

I understand plugin the only way to do as I m on nodebb cloud ?

Also how do I install my own plugins ?

Hope I can get some help with these, thanks much for your time

Thanks guys!

• 1 Votes
    16 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

👏 Well done, that's some thorough investigating @Dravere !

• Need help with nodebb-plugin-import

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    2k Views
    RogerLevyR

@pitaj Ah. Then I guess that was what happened for me.

• Rebuild error

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

This is when you rebuild from the ACP, right? What if you just rebuild with ./nodebb build

• 1 Votes
    12 Posts
    2k Views
    A

thanks its very useful

• Pass parameters from one custom page to another

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    1k Views
    J

Thank you so much @baris and @yariplus - will give both options a try 😉

• Error in console.

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

@RikoDEV

Why shouldn't I use sudo to run NodeBB?

You do not want to run NodeBB using sudo because this causes NodeBB to be run via the root user. This superuser has complete access to the entire system and should NodeBB ever become compromised, then a malicious user can utilise NodeBB as an attack vector to take over your system.

Secondary effects from running NodeBB under sudo include the changing of ownership of some files to root, which would complicate administration of your NodeBB further as future starts of NodeBB will fail with an EACCES error, simply because some files could not be written to, as they are now owned by root instead of the regular user!

Best practice security recommends running NodeBB with as few privileges as possible (ideally, nobody:nogroup), but practically an unprivileged user is perfectly fine.

By the way, this also means running NodeBB as a user that has sudo access is also insecure. Just some food for thought.

• NodeBB don't see plugins/themes updates.

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    yariplusY

Persona version is a little different from other plugins, it is fixed to your version of NodeBB. If you update your NodeBB, you should also get the newer Persona version.