Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Users unable to upload profile image

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    julianJ

Hey @WolfiiDev -- thanks for posting. We actually noticed this internally yesterday, but if only we'd known you figured this out yesterday as well, that would've helped.

That said, the latest version of NodeBB should resolve this.

• NPM Audit vulnerabilities

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    J

Thank you @julian , that's awesome!

• How to enter at site without WWW

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    J

@pitaj thx for answer but problem was at my cache.
    I cleaned cache and cookies and entered at site.

Mark this as SOLVED plz

• Help with nginx and VestaCP

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    PitaJP

You don't need to put it in public_html. It makes no difference.

• Need help with domain / nodebb installation

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    PitaJP

I don't know if you need to get rid of the domain folder, but you do need to set up the reverse proxy.

• Cannot upload any files anywhere

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

Are there no errors client side? Have you checked the settings in the ACP?

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    W

@juan-g hey hey, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Guess I gotta take a wild guess at which tool to use and try my best. I knew about the load testing tools, was just hoping to get a hint as to what tool or configuration is used by the nodebb team.

Nonetheless: Thank you for caring 🙂 I really do appreciate it.

• [Subfolder installation] with main firebase?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    bybosseeB

Hi there

Currently, my landing page is hosted on firebase
    the domain is hosehbo.com
    Like to ask if it would be possible to install nodebb on hosehbo.com/forum on another digital ocean server?

I am able to have nodebb up and running on a subdomain.

My thinking if that it is not possible because they are located in different servers. If this is the case, I should be moving out from firebase. Am I right on this?

Thanks

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    Sum1SolutionsS

Try removing the port from the url.

And if you are using a domain name, set it to the www.example.com version, as in:

"url" : "http:www.example.com",

(Within the config.json file in nodebb.)

• NodeBB Crashed after upgrade

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    2k Views
    D

Good to hear. Just in case you need it in the future.

MongoDB has very good documentation and you can find it here: https://docs.mongodb.com/

Dropping the database would be described here: https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/reference/method/db.dropDatabase/index.html

Thus probably would be something along the line of:

use nodebb db.dropDatabase()
  • Blocking IP checking

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

No, as viewing IP addresses are a core part of the moderation experience. Global moderators can access the account info page, and category moderators can view IPs per post in categories they moderate.

This is needed to see if particular users are sockpuppets, or other malicious types of users.

• Cannot install more than one SSO plugin

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    E

@pitaj you're right, I've just upgraded to the latest version (v1.10.1) and everything seems fine!

• Upgrade to 1.10 ip hash taking a long time.

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Mmhm, because we noticed it taking a long time we added progress bar support, so you can see that it's doing something 😄

We store the IP addresses going back to the installation of the forum, so it's possible that it's no longer needed. One could simply delete the entire ip:recent set with no ill effects... (well, except that you'd no longer have a historical record of recent IP addresses)

• [Solved] Access to my NodeBB by subdomain

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    TiiixT

So, with this configuration, it's ok !

<VirtualHost *:80> ServerName mydomain.com ServerAdmin [email protected] DocumentRoot /var/www/html # Available loglevels: trace8, ..., trace1, debug, info, notice, warn, # error, crit, alert, emerg. # It is also possible to configure the loglevel for particular # modules, e.g. #LogLevel info ssl:warn ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined # For most configuration files from conf-available/, which are # enabled or disabled at a global level, it is possible to # include a line for only one particular virtual host. For example the # following line enables the CGI configuration for this host only # after it has been globally disabled with "a2disconf". #Include conf-available/serve-cgi-bin.conf <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On RewriteRule ^[^\/]*\/(.*) https://mydomain.com/$1 [R=301,L] </IfModule> RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME} =mydomain.com RewriteRule ^ https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI} [END,NE,R=permanent] </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost *:4567> ServerName subdomain.mydomain.com # Basic security headers Header always set X-Content-Type-Options "nosniff" Header always set X-Xss-Protection "1; mode=block" # NodeBB header RequestHeader set X-Forwarded-Proto "https" # Static file cache <FilesMatch "\.(ico|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css)$"> <IfModule mod_expires.c> ExpiresActive on ExpiresDefault "access plus 14 days" Header set Cache-Control "public" </IfModule> </FilesMatch> ProxyRequests off <Proxy *> Order deny,allow Allow from all </Proxy> # Custom Error Document when NodeBB is offline ProxyPass /error-documents ! ErrorDocument 503 /error-documents/503.html Alias /error-documents path/to/nodebb/public # Websocket passthrough RewriteEngine On RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/socket.io [NC] RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} transport=websocket [NC] RewriteRule /(.*) ws://localhost:4567/$1 [P,L] ProxyPass / http://localhost:4567/ ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:4567/ # Log stuff ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/nodebb-error.log CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/nodebb-access.log combined RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME} =subdomain.mydomain.com RewriteRule ^ https://%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI} [END,NE,R=permanent] </VirtualHost>

The problem is that I had not put 2 different ServerName in the config, so all traffic was redirected and rewritten in HTTPS on the same ServerName : subdomain.mydomain.com

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Guest download permission

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

Not right now, feel free to open an issue for it on github page.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

Your reverse proxy is set up wrong, or not set up at all.

• How to increase Avatar's dimension?

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    yariplusY

Settings => Uploads => Profile Avatars

• Critical situation (Everything gone!)

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    M
    NodeBB version: 1.10.0 Database type: mongo Database version: 3.2.11

Hi, we have a critical situation here. In order to increase the speed, We replicated mongodb (master/slave mode; whotout sharding). It increased the speed for a few months But now it seems that the database is missing and all of the users, topics etc. ??
    I don't know what cause this problem. Can we find out whether the database is missing or not?