Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• How to delete theme? duplicate error

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    J

i installed new themes (based at persona) and deleted it.

And now at my theme list i see 2 persona themes instead of one.

If i delete persona theme - remains only 1 persona theme at theme list BUT i cant activate it.

I tried to see folders at node_modules and i dont see any persona theme.
    When i copy persona theme from my PC into node_modules - FTP send me alert that some files in nodebb-theme-persona exists (rewrite it?)
    But this folder DOES NOT exist.

How i can delete persona theme and install without duplicate?

Here my theme list.

0_1532780684268_indexx.png

• Can't find SSO settings

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    Macrow WillsonM

found it:

needs ./nodebb build needs to open dev console to flush cache
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Persona theme need some tweaks

Unsolved
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    J

And slick theme have some bugs.

!0_1532680283695_grid222.png

i need this yellow line to be like line at top..
    or post to be boxed (to see where post begins and where ends).
    Here as u see - post have not top border and design are broken.

• Help before to install please

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    ramon lopezR

I'm cleaning one server to make a fresh install of Centos for nodebb, any suggestion?

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    S

Thinking about this further, it seems like the functionality of this plugin should probably be merged/maintained with master since it's such a core component influencing adoption of NodeBB.

• HTML sanitize (dont working)

Solved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    J

@frgilb Thank you so much.. i am so stupid) dont seen it.
    Already workin)

• too slow

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    S

1.10.X is the stable branch. Master is the development branch which might have bugs and other stuff. Why are you running the master branch?

• Installing on Ubuntu with AWS EC2

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Use vi or nano to edit the file. Nano is probably going to be easier for you.

• mongoBB aws ec2 windows error cache

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

Yes some things are different, but did you actually encounter any errors when using it? The NodeBB guide clearly says to use the official MongoDB guide if you encounter issues. Did you do that? Did that result in errors as well?

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    A

Hello,

I am attempting to use the nodebb-plugin-sso-oauth plugin to implement SSO with CAS into my forum.

We are based on Apereo CAS.

My CAS is using Oauth2. I have POST methods with urls for request code (authorization), request access token, and request profile.

I have installed the plugin and set up nconf to use my constants.

I activated the plugin and refreshed my nodebb forum.

It is now crashing upon starting and I get the following error.

24/7 00:37:39 [29650] - error: message=Cannot read property 'length' of undefined, stack=TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at pathtoRegexp (/root/nodebb/node_modules/path-to-regexp/index.js:63:49)
    at new Layer (/root/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:45:17)
    at Function.use (/root/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:464:17)
    at Function.<anonymous> (/root/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/application.js:220:21)
    at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
    at Function.use (/root/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/application.js:217:7)
    at module.exports (/root/nodebb/src/routes/index.js:139:7)
    at /root/nodebb/src/webserver.js:99:4
    at fn (/root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:746:34)
    at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1213:16
    at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:166:37
    at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:706:43
    at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:167:37
    at Immediate._onImmediate (/root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1206:34)
    at runCallback (timers.js:810:20)
    at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:768:5)

My guess is that for some reason, path is being passed as undefined.

I am stuck and in need of help.

Please provide feedback or recommendations for how I can implement CAS Single Sign On into my nodebb forum.

Thank you,
    Abraham

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    arrankaA

What is the manual that you use?

• Making the USER page private

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB

Turn Hide user list and data from guests on in /admin/settings/user and hit save. You should also remove find/read privileges from guests if you don't want them to see content.

• noddebb upgrade script timeout

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S
    version: 1.10.1 Node ver: v8.11.3 git hash: c1e98eefa7fe93431ac312ecc0d90314db2c49b1 database: mongo version: 3.6.3 engine: wiredTiger Parsing upgrade scripts... OK | 4 script(s) found, 53 skipped → [2017/6/22] Hash all IP addresses stored in Recent IPs zset... [########### ] (686800/802153) 85% Error occurred Error occurred during upgrade: MongoError: cursor id 23654971494 not found at /home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/pool.js:598:61 at authenticateStragglers (/home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/pool.js:516:16) at Connection.messageHandler (/home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/pool.js:552:5) at emitMessageHandler (/home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/connection.js:309:10) at Socket.<anonymous> (/home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/connection.js:452:17) at emitOne (events.js:116:13) at Socket.emit (events.js:211:7) at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:263:12) at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:250:11) at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:208:10) /home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/lib/utils.js:132 throw err;

Link Preview Image noddebb upgrade script timeout · Issue #6661 · NodeBB/NodeBB

version: 1.10.1 Node ver: v8.11.3 git hash: c1e98eefa7fe93431ac312ecc0d90314db2c49b1 database: mongo version: 3.6.3 engine: wiredTiger Parsing upgrade scripts... OK | 4 script(s) found, 53 skipped → [2017/6/22] Hash all IP addresses stor...

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    E

You guys are very helpful 🙂
    I've been in Open Source "stuff" for nearly two decades and have learned many things... but node.js and friends is completely uncharted waters for me.
    I will make this forum work for us. It's just too darn cool to overlook.

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    J

@julian Perhaps, instead of “Guest 2839” for a user who deleted the account but not the posts, something like “Former 2839” or similar.

It‘s more respectful than “deleted” for former users that chose to go and weren’t spammers, but on the contrary wrote valuable posts that were kept.

Of course, in the case of spammers, account and posts are all deleted, so no need for “deleted user”.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

That's not actually what's wrong, your config.json was correct. The problem is your nginx config is wrong. Follow the docs here.

Link Preview Image Ubuntu (Recommended) - NodeBB Documentation

favicon

(docs.nodebb.org)

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Users unable to upload profile image

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    julianJ

Hey @WolfiiDev -- thanks for posting. We actually noticed this internally yesterday, but if only we'd known you figured this out yesterday as well, that would've helped.

That said, the latest version of NodeBB should resolve this.