Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Fresh install got view 500 error

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    PJ LegendreP

I just ran into this after changing my theme and clicking rebuild and restart... any idea how I get out of this state?

Update: After running npm install and ./nodebb build the error changed to:

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/snarlynarwhal/nodebb/build/public/templates/footer.tpl' at Error (native)

Update/Solution: Running npm install nodebb-theme-<theme-you-want> then ./nodebb build then sudo systemctl restart nodebb fixed the issue.

• Upgrade v1.9.1 to v1.9.2 error

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

You must run git pull before running ./nodebb upgrade.

• Extensive load warning

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    A

I have the same issue, nothing relevant in the logs... I don't know what to do to fix it 😞 Any help? (I'm running on v1.9.0 but the problem existed before the upgrade)

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

@pj-legendre said in nodebb.service: Start request repeated too quickly.:

nodebb.service: Start request repeated too quickly.

This indicates that NodeBB crashed quickly upon starting. You should run the ExecStart command in terminal to determine the cause.

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

The readthedocs portal is an archive and is outdated. You can always rely on docs.nodebb.org 👍

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

@attis Thanks for debugging, I added a new config setting into config.json, you can set isCluster: true in your config.json and it should work now. It will be available in 1.9.2 so you can keep your change until then. https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/6509

• Blank Forum.

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    Crushed IceC

i "fixed" it. yea. it was a Redis problem. In the end probably my own fault.
    not used to redis/Node yet
    Thanks

• [Need help] Unable to get mailjet plugin to work

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    bybosseeB

Hi all

Managed to solve it
    I did a ./nodebb upgrade and it work
    Thank you very much

• config.json: url not asked when installing

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

That is correct. The port if not defined at all is assumed to be 4567, and should only be in the url if the port is required to access the site.

• Disable file upload entirely

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    baddingB

It seems that there is still the possibility to upload a profile cover picture, even though I disable "upload images" in privileges for registered users.

• Having issues with XenForo importer

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    Cyb3rC

@julian Happy to help! 😉

• Using Redis + Sentinel

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    baddingB

I'm using Redis with replication (slaveof directive) + Sentinel (for automatic failover).

It seems that NodeBB may not support this?

The problem is, that I need to be connected to the master, and it can be any one of the 3 nodes I'm running. It can change dynamically.

ioredis has support for sentinel: https://github.com/luin/ioredis#sentinel

Would it be possible to make this work somehow?

• Scaling NodeBB across multiple nodes

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB

Link Preview Image Scaling - NodeBB Documentation

favicon

(docs.nodebb.org)

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

Hi.

I'm currently using an Ubuntu server and I want to install Wordpress and NodeBB, for example:
    mydomain. com (Wordpress)
    forum.mydomain. com or mydomain. com/forum (NodeBB)

I tried some things but failed. NodeBB need to be installed with Node.js and Wordpress with Apache or Nginx, but there are some conflincts when I'm using both.

I've searched and read some topics but none helped me (not my situation or didn't understood them).

Thanks for your help!

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

Hello,

I try to confirm an account (email) with the API but it doesn't work.
    I try to do a PUT with email:confirmed but doesn't work too.

Is it possible with write api ?

Thanks

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    M

I have now managed to upgrade from 1.4.0 to 1.4.6, but can't get any further.

Plugin issue has been resolved from deleting it on filezilla

Any ideas on going from 1.4.6 to 1.9?

• 1 Votes
    19 Posts
    6k Views
    D

I tried this a while back and didn't get anywhere. Anyone know of a fix or something to disallow moderators to see certain categories. Would appreciate any help. ❤

• 1.7.5 to 1.9.0

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB

Yes it is, you can switch to v1.9.x and run ./nodebb upgrade

• Adding a column in MongoDB

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    G

You can just use the User.setUserField(uid, field, value, callback) function, by importing the module.parent.require('./user')

To set the value while creating the account, I suggest you to check the custom registration field (or something like that) plugin and use it, or taking inspiration from it.

• Big Newb. Need Help With CSS Customization

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    J

See also Where to put custom CSS file.. | NodeBB.

Another possibility is a custom css file overriding the others by having the last <link rel="stylesheet" href="..." /> line in the theme source.