Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• Old thread with dash-character can't be opened

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    hekH

One of your community members tried to open an old thread with the following title: "Relay actuator sketch - auto off function"

But NodeBB refuses to serve this to the client.

I suspect the url-rewrite gets mocked up but nothing is reported in error/output log.

We're still running v0.7.0-dev something

commit 9165da3b26a044c288d5db73c4933ca2b29e6a78

EDIT: Upgrading to 0.8.2 seems to fix this.

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    ?

@rnovino said:

@julian documentation is not even clear on how to use the plugin is there any tutorial on how to import the wordpress post to nodebb

The question would be what your actual question is. I do not want to offend you, but the doc is quite clear for me.

• Script to install NodeBB

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    R

is there any script to automate all this installation procedure similar with the RTCAMP when installing an NGINX base WORDPRESS server

I followed the instruction in the installation documentation but as a non-developer user I find it hard to follow.

it's not in detailed format and it's just on the NODEBB installation, can anyone help me create a documentation with the following

Installing NODEBB NGINX procedure to make my own domain as the primary url securing the server

although this tutorials is helpful but still lacks the nginx part procedure and the security http://burnaftercompiling.com/nodebb/setting-up-a-nodebb-forum-for-dummies/#comments

hoping for a reference to finish installing my nodebb site

thanks

• Redis Databse, Fresh Linux Install.

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    KowlinK

@julian @zombie for some reason my server decided to be evil and completly ignore the repository, thats why I included the manual compiling. Anyways good luck.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    3 Posts
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    13 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    19 Posts
    8k Views
    S

Thanks a lot for updating, and information !

• Cannot upload images - invalid-refresh-token

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    I

I resolved this. I had an invalid code. Thanks for the help.

• Sometimes it turns out 502 bad gateway error

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    L

nodebb-plugin-composer-default 1.0.14

nodebb-plugin-dbsearch 0.2.16

nodebb-plugin-desktop-notifications 0.2.0

nodebb-plugin-emailer-mandrill 0.2.4

nodebb-plugin-emoji-extended 0.4.13

nodebb-plugin-google-analytics 0.5.5

nodebb-plugin-markdown 4.0.5

nodebb-plugin-mentions 1.0.2

nodebb-plugin-pushbullet 3.0.3

nodebb-plugin-recent-cards 0.0.9

nodebb-plugin-soundpack-default 0.1.4

nodebb-plugin-spam-be-gone 0.4.2

nodebb-rewards-essentials 0.0.5

nodebb-widget-essentials 2.0.1

• How to delete a specific database redis

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    X

@ApfelUser Thank you, it works.

• Disabling skins

Moved
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    P

@Fastidious said:

Of course I saw it. My finger got tired of clicking on it, while observing no results at all.

Oh? Feel free to reply to the issue I closed, my bad. From the original report I assumed you didn't notice the button as opposed to that button not actually working.

EDIT: Minor victory for me, because our team thought I sucked at UX because you didn't see the button. I just suck at coding then 😛 Please post git hash and stuff on the issue thread, will try and reproduce myself. FWIW, it does work for me on latest.

• Restarted NodeBB - Everything went poof.

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    apilorussoA

@yariplus

I also think it was MongoDB as well because I noticed that the database was set to "0" (default MongoDB on NodeBB setup) and when I changed it to the nodebb database it was as if it was default. Very frustrating but considering the forum was relatively new, not much was lost.

• My admin user profile "doesnt exist"

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

Hmm, that sounds like a bug, you shouldn't be able to create two users with the same name.

When you delete the account, it removes it's entry in the 'userslug:uid' set which that route uses to lookup your profile info, as well as a bunch of other sets. But it doesn't delete your user object at 'user:{uid}' (because your other account has a different uid). You would have to re-add your username to the sets it's removed from in user.delete. I'm unfortunately not sure the exact command you would have to use in mongod though. 😞 You should be able to find your original users uid in /api/users though. 🐦 Renaming the account from the acp may also work.

• Sidebar Widget Error

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    apilorussoA

I noticed when using the Recent Posts widget for the Global Sidebar if I click on the 'Read More' button under individual posts I got the following error:

WidgetError.png

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    ?

@lulzdevlol said:

Hey thx for the update. its never too late. 🙂

Before I forget you must restart NGINX and nodeBB so the changes take place, but I hope it is clear to you.

Lastly it would be interesting to know, if you were able to resolve the issue.

• plugin-custom-homepage wont load

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    A

In 0.8.x, any plugin that appears in the ACP plugin list is compatible. Or if you're on GitHub, in the package.json will be something like:

"nbbpm": { "compatibility": "^0.6.0 || ^0.7.0 || ^0.8.0" },

note the ^0.8.0 part. If a plugin is missing this, it's deemed not compatible.

• Copy from Redis to MongoDB

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

😆 That's the real deal, they use better chocolate over there too.

• nodebb-plugin-rss errors

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    X

@baris Yes thank you. Now works.

• Skins neglect?

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    BriB

Ah looks like someone's just reported it! https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona/issues/156

• Guest can not see "Image"

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Possibly related to this admin option:

Selection_057.png