Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • StopForumSpam Plugin

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

I've opened an issue for it on the spambegone plugin page

https://github.com/akhoury/nodebb-plugin-spam-be-gone/issues/61

• nodebb-plugin-youtube-lite

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    DeepSeaD

Let's try: https://github.com/boomzillawtf/nodebb-plugin-youtube-embed#readme
    plugin was forked from nodebb-plugin-youtube-lite.

After installation restart and refresh browser or clear browser cache - CTRL + F5

• Login and register Unsuccessful

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

Are there any errors in the browser console?

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • The inscription "Catigories"

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    P

How can I change the inscription catigories, as well as add one more inscription?
    Screenshot

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    1k Views
    DukeD

@lewis-belton your site is very slow and I tried to access the calender and it doesnt work. Maybe disable the plugins one at a time and see if it comes good. Remember to restart the forum after disabling each one.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@rrt No problem. It might be worth setting up the reverse proxy, it offers some performance benefits and allows you to use SSL for your site (which please do since passwords get entered to login).

Take a look at the docs for config instructions: https://docs.nodebb.org/configuring/proxies/nginx/

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    A

Moved things by my managements request to be externally managed users only. But there are a large number of postings for a few local users that would like to be moved. I tried doing some database edits with mongodb, but was not successful in changing the UID of a posting. Anyone have a method for this? Thank you from a Nodebb nuwbie.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

We've had issues with this in our hosted service too... specifically, the IP used by one of our clients was used by a certain X-rated site 😞

In our case, we ended up blocking requests at the firewall level using ufw, although you could potentially also use nginx and block requests at the offending hostname...

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    T

This is all dependent on how each server is configured.

• NGINX not working

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    E

Sorry my fault, I have that, just sent the wrong file. When I get home today I can take care of it. I deleted the last post with the error log because of the spam, but require a moderator to remove it.
    @PitaJ

Thanks

• How to auto start nodebb on ubuntu server reboot

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    A

In nodebb's case it will just need the A (or E... which will be nginx. Don't ask me why the E stands for nginx, as that is how they named the stack. Maybe because it is pronounced engine-x) and the M... for mongodb

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@baris said in How to reset the counting of topic and post each categories:

In mongo cli, for each category you have to run the below query replacing the correct values.

db.objects.update({_key: "category:<replace_category_id>"}, {$set: {"topic_count": "<replace_correct_topic_count>", "post_count": "<replace_correct_post_count>"}});

This works like a charm

• I made a mistake doing the upgrade to 1.6.0

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    P

@baris dude ! thank you very much, it work

• api encrypt plugin

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    T

@nsuchy said in api encrypt plugin:

Is that all I need just to proxy through nginx, that's what I'm currently doing, I saw that plugin in settings and thought I was doing something wrong. I just wanted to confirm I'm doing everything properly.

Yup! I used the instructions here: https://docs.nodebb.org/configuring/proxies/nginx/

There is an example block with SSL in use there. No plugin needed. I use LetsEncrypt for free certs.

• Console errors after upgrade

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

You used the wrong one, this is the right one:

types { application/javascript jst js; text/css css; }
  • Dark skin for default theme?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    N

I'd really appreciate if someone could get the dark skin on default theme working perfectly. I'm new to using NodeBB and am not sure how to get started with Skin Development 😕

• Help merging a MyBB Forum into NodeBB

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    64k Views
    N

It's kinda sad that I can't import old content / users. The site is running behind Nginx so apache issues aren't really a thing. All requests are proxied to NodeBB so I'm assuming the importer just doesn't work. Anyone wanna help me import topics and posts manually?

• Really quick question on CSS Color

Moved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    J

@pitaj thanks again, heres what i've got so far.

0_1506019887827_Screenshot from 2017-09-21 11-48-05.png

Thinking of doing maybe a floating footer but duno how that would work with continuous loading of the posts/threads. Maybe ill do a small marquee with crypto price ticker under the floating menu bar instead.