Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• {username} in emails

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    S

Hi @julian

I've sent some actual emails and the {username} works there but not on the test emails, so I guess problem "sorted". Thanks for the info! 🙂

• 0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    S

@julian thanks, but all properties on any VPS "permission denied on key":

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness 60 $ sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=10 sysctl: permission denied on key 'vm.swappiness'

And with the memory seems to be all right:
    0_1478632336050_Снимок экрана от 2016-11-08 22-12-04.png

• mongodb always down

0 Votes
    25 Posts
    9k Views
    xiduiX

@AOKP
    Thank you for your offer. After the change in this issue, my mongo db has not went down until now. It seems to be more stable.

• Not seeing changes in .tpl files?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    W

I was editing the wrong header.tpl file. The one I needed to be editing was within the node_modules path and in the specific theme. It works as you said @pichalite

Thanks!

• [Fixed] Topics are published in category -1

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@pichalite thanks a lot. It's fixed 😉

• NodeBB and ads - A never ending story (Part 2)

2 Votes
    39 Posts
    14k Views
    PitaJP

Can you identify the last commit it works on?

• Purge all avatars.

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    FiiilyF

@pichalite ^^^

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 1 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    xiduiX

@julian

This is the peak today(about 75% of history peak).

Total: 13965 (kernel 0) TCP: 46823 (estab 13808, closed 32768, orphaned 231, synrecv 0, timewait 32768/0), ports 0 Transport Total IP IPv6 * 0 - - RAW 0 0 0 UDP 0 0 0 TCP 14055 10241 3814 INET 14055 10241 3814 FRAG 0 0 0

0_1478143628965_upload-11fe38fe-e73a-4561-a8eb-0ccceb91c223

Actually, the performance today is better and fast after I applied a change in config:

"socket.io": { "transports": ["websocket"] }

That issue was at this link.

• 0 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    devochkaD

Hi all, today I just installed a cloud version and I can't change files myself. Faced with the same problem. I've changed the theme back to Persona and now can open no frontend nigher backend. It forwards me to the nodebb website and shows this message:

Service Unavailable
    We couldn't reach the website you were looking to access. It may be offline temporarily, please try again later.

How can I deal with it? Thanks

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

What does node app --upgrade net you?

• 0 Votes
    25 Posts
    11k Views
    PitaJP

Try turning off all of your sso plugins, then enabling them one by one.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    W

Thanks for sending this @baris , I saw this too, but I'm not clear how to resolve the issue or what I need to do to get the error to go away.

• Cant save changes

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

What version of nodebb? Any errors on your logs or browser console?

• Group Notification

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    H

How do I send notification/message to the users I have added to a group saying for example (You are now a member of group X)?

• Import plugin, for version 1.0.0

1 Votes
    1 Posts
    Mac SawyerM

I want to convert my 500-600k post forum to nodebb. I'm a node newb, but have years of experience on PHP. Looking forward to learning something new on what looks to be the best next gen forum out there.

Anywho... the plugin seems to only support 1.0.0. When I install the latest version I have no problems getting nodebb up and running. However if I specifically install 1.0.0, just like I would the latest, it never wants to start. It seems to complain about comparability with plugins.

Is there something special I should do during the install of 1.0.0 to keep all of the dependencies in sync with what 1.0.0 would.need?

Thanks,
    Mac

• Where do I put my "style" element?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

A style element would go in Custom Header

However, as far as best practices, you should not use a style element and instead put the contents of the element into your Custom CSS

• Custom topic sort

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    M

@alff0x1f Thank you, will look into it.

• Advanced Search Dropdown

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

There's not really an easy way without editing theme files, but you can use CSS to hide the subcategories manually:

#posted-in-categories [value="13"], #posted-in-categories [value="6"], #posted-in-categories [value="5"], #posted-in-categories [value="17"], #posted-in-categories [value="18"] { display: none; }

The number in quotes is the category ID, which you can find in the ACP.

• Error: sendmail executable

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    E

@pichalite
    Ok great will check them out