Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    R

I think to do this, you'd better hook "filter:post.upvote", check user's reputation, then return error info if not satisfied.
    This hook source code is at file socket.io/posts/helpers.js.

See NodeBB how to do this for not-enough-reputation-to-downvote in src/posts/votes.js:

if (command === 'downvote' && parseInt(results.reputation) < parseInt(meta.config['privileges:downvote'], 10)) { return callback(new Error('[[error:not-enough-reputation-to-downvote]]')); }
  • How to install nodebb on Windows XP vps

Solved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    PitaJP

@Hsm909 you either need to run setup with a different database name, or delete the admin credentials from your existing database.

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    Lucas SeverynL

For the sake of completeness, here is how I solved it.

I'm not very proud of the solution but it works.

In the emailer plugin, I added this bit to mailOptions variable.
    Now I need to be very careful not to update the plugin and overwrite the index.js file

var mailOptions = { from: data.from, to: data.to, html: data.html.replaceAll ('src="/nodebb/','src="http://dash/nodebb/'), text: data.plaintext, // subject: data.subject subject: combinedTopic };
  • Documents upload

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    S

@yariplus Thanks so much, I had the permissions allowed in the categories but not in the uploads 😅 😅 😅

Working now! 🙂

• I got this error after v1.3.0 upgrade.

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

@humanmadeaccount turn off nodebb-plugin-custom-pages

• nginx error (solved)

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    feroomF

said in nginx error:
    comman for shell
    journalctl -xe

And post last log from /etc/nginx/error.log

Problem in webserver config files

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    โทนี่ ไทย

How can I show something like : "Hello xxxxx, you have xxxx reputation" on a welcoming html widget.

Is it possible to use these variables to do something else ?

For example :
    if(reputation>50){
    //SHOW SOMETHING
    }
    else{
    //SHOW SOMETHING ELSE
    }

• Global widget area in theme

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    GuraxG

No any error in console. It may be a bug?
    In src/widgets/admin.js the Global parameter is used

{ name: 'Global Sidebar', template: 'global', location: 'sidebar' }, { name: 'Global Header', template: 'global', location: 'header' }, { name: 'Global Footer', template: 'global', location: 'footer' }, { name: 'Group Page (Left)', template: 'groups/details.tpl', location: 'left'}, { name: 'Group Page (Right)', template: 'groups/details.tpl', location: 'right'}
  • How change loadbar color and hr in topics

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    A

@yariplus thank you!

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    Lucas SeverynL

Hi Guys,

Is there any way to make all users within a group to subscribe to certain categories?

• nodeBB setup {windows}

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    jheisenJ

@PitaJ said in nodeBB setup {windows}:

@jheisen try installing Node6 instead of the old version in the docs. Then try using cmd instead of PowerShell.

Shall do, I will post results later.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    R

Re: Apache 2.2.15 with websocket not working...already backported mod_proxy_wstunnel

So far I have installed and configured nodebb successfully and it is running on port 4567.
    But I am struck with the last step which is configuring web server as proxy. My server is running on CentOS 6.8 and I am struck with Apache 2.2.15 . I can see that I need to follow below procedure .
    https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/configuring/proxies/apache2.2.html

The problem is I am very new to linux and couldn't understand the steps mentioned there. Searched online but couldn't find any article with detailed steps.

Can some one who did this already help me with steps / instructions. Thanks in advance.

• {username} in emails

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    S

Hi @julian

I've sent some actual emails and the {username} works there but not on the test emails, so I guess problem "sorted". Thanks for the info! 🙂

• 0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    S

@julian thanks, but all properties on any VPS "permission denied on key":

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness 60 $ sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=10 sysctl: permission denied on key 'vm.swappiness'

And with the memory seems to be all right:
    0_1478632336050_Снимок экрана от 2016-11-08 22-12-04.png

• mongodb always down

0 Votes
    25 Posts
    9k Views
    xiduiX

@AOKP
    Thank you for your offer. After the change in this issue, my mongo db has not went down until now. It seems to be more stable.

• Not seeing changes in .tpl files?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    W

I was editing the wrong header.tpl file. The one I needed to be editing was within the node_modules path and in the specific theme. It works as you said @pichalite

Thanks!

• [Fixed] Topics are published in category -1

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@pichalite thanks a lot. It's fixed 😉

• NodeBB and ads - A never ending story (Part 2)

2 Votes
    39 Posts
    14k Views
    PitaJP

Can you identify the last commit it works on?

• Purge all avatars.

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    FiiilyF

@pichalite ^^^