Skip to content

General Discussion

A place to talk about whatever you want

3.8k Topics 23.2k Posts
  • high cpu?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

Depends... if your forum has no load, then something's causing it to churn... check server logs, is it crashing?

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    L

@Jesse-Pulfer You're a new member of the NodeBB Team I guess? Thats cool 👍

• Do we care about number of views?

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

@Xiph, now there's a novel idea... with bookmarks now saved on the server, this is actually quite doable...

• Does /recent need timestamps?

1 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    BriB

+1 I like knowing when the last post was made on the recent items view. Is your wireframe idea trying to be as minimal as possible?

• I switched to Nodebb from SMF: my experience.

5 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    PitaJP

@julian a plugin can add a >=0.5.0 and say it's compatible with every version of NodeBB, while really not being so. You should make developers tell exactly what minor versions their plugin is compatible with, so they can't just put the wildcard in there and leave it.

• RSS feed of the entire board?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    lxgL

I think the /recent one will be good enough. Thank you!

• The alphabet avatar name game

4 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    barisB

Well I will do my part.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    T

I'm sure its possible.
    There's a Q&A plugin, rewards system, etc to make all of this happen.

• Performance on T2.Micro

2 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    barisB

One possible problem with this testing is since you use ip_hash in the nginx config and run the locust/siege/ab etc from a machine all the requests will be directed to a single nodebb instance. So having 2 nodebb processes does't help since all requests are coming from the same IP. You can confirm that by checking cpu usage in top during the bench.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    James Edward Barlow IIIJ

yo yo - so - i'm digging this software big time. i was posting late at night yesterday bc I'm officially obsessed. I have it running hard on nginx and redis - had to drop the varnish config for it - it was getting cached wayyyy to hard with my setup already.

Anyway my question is about you guys - have you thought about moving into the investment realm yet? Angel.co or angel list - kickstart etc.? I think you have got something here. Only suggestion is to watch the plugins that are being put out.

I'd be willing to get a few campaigns going for you guys - (opensource of course) if you want. Let me know.

I was thinking about using npm to write a few provisioning builds using the plugin dev plugin (that sounded weird as hell) - but was having issues with it - I can totally see one click deploys of like 1000 different stacks/software packages. I'm not a front end guy so I often rely on other people's stuff to build what I want. I wish I was more creative.

Is the graph on the admin side accurate? I took the server down yesterday because I wanted to map out a perfect deploy for this with nginx and a few other packages. Anyway let me know if you guys are interested in "selling out." Node was just bought for quite a bit and this is definitely (in my opinion) other than ghost - the number 1 reason nodejs and npm are so great.

• How to display subcategories of subcategories?

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Marc Boisvert-DuprasM

Hello all, I know my choice of title might sound a bit confusing but let me explain further. Basically, I'm trying to display links to subcategories under a parent category a bit like this:

Now, after a bit of digging around, I did find a sort of solution to this which resulted in this which is what I want, however not there:

This is fine except it only works for the topmost parent categories with the code that I've found which I simply inserted in my templates/categories.tpl

Essentially, I would like to display the links to subcategories of the subcategories (2 deep) of "Exode" and "Eternal Dragon Nest" which I believe should be in the templates/category/subcategory.tpl or templates/categories/item.tpl templates but I am not sure.

Can anyone enlighten me with their knowledge? 🙂
    Sorry for being such a n00b!

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Ionic

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    BriB

Cool, I'll take a look. The only reason why I was going with Pushbullet in the first place was because I had heard of it before, and because community.nodebb.org uses it, lol

• Your top five videogames

0 Votes
    16 Posts
    5k Views
    BriB

@psychobunny heh yeah the water temple is probably my least favorite one. I'll have to try Link's Awakening! But first things first I need to obtain a gameboy..

• Following link to removed comment.

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    jareyJ

@Kowlin said:

Yup, this behavior is odd in my opinion, and I think that NodeBB should hide the thread from the list once its deleted, (not purged) but still show it for the thread creator and any staff with the privileges.

In this scenario i wasn't admin neither i have more privileges than standar user, but i still think i shoul be able to navigate to the thread following the link to the removed message.

• Let's have a talk! About NodeBB, of course 🙂

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    P

Cool 🙂 I don't really have any material that's not on this forum already. We did one for the nodejs meet up in Toronto two years ago, but that's when we were just starting up and I'm pretty sure whatever I was talking about is either now outdated or simply BS 😛

• Star icon appears then disappears

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    H

@BDHarrington7 Thanks for the info!

• SSO with other Rails system

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    jareyJ

As psychobunny suggests with the referenced links, you cant elaborate your own SSO plugin to gain acces from nodeBB to the user stored on your own database, making your Rails system to act as the SSO provider.

The other link is the write API nodebb provides. You would have to install this plugin in order to have it working.

• FreeBSD installation procedure

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    hukadanH

Hi FreeBSD users and everyone else.

I read the documentation concerning the FreeBSD installation procedure and I was wondering if an alternate solution could be added. I have NodeBB running on FreeBSD but I did not need gcc at all. The packages I needed to install where the following.

% pkg query -e '%a = 0' %o devel/git devel/gmake www/nginx www/npm databases/redis

So what is the technical reason to install gcc? Did you in the past encountered problem while building without it ?

Thank you.