Be able to flag your own post

• I think we should be able to flag our own post, specially since we can write the purpose to the admin.

Sometimes there is a problem that we can't solve (like that we had mistaken the subcategory) and we need a moderator. In those cases it's easier flag it than looking for a moderator online.

• @Pixel I'm- a little worried by the prospect of the flag button becoming a "call flight attendant" button.

• Global Moderator

@Arc said:

@Pixel I'm- a little worried by the prospect of the flag button becoming a "call flight attendant" button.

Wish I could up vote this more than once. Better options for moving a topic in the wrong category than flagging it. Only because if someone could flag their own posts. If X flags before ban was implemented. They could in theory ban themselves.

• Translator

@a_5mith @Arc This is correct, why just don't drop a chat message to any member that has moderate privileges. Besides there is this current thing about the flagging system that wasn't 100% planned in my opinion, and that is that users with the moderate privilege can't see the reason that a topic is flagged for.

• In my experience, people will abuse that option to get moderators to answer their question. I already seen it happen too many times elsewhere.
    If nothing else, it is a sure-fire way of pissing off over-worked moderators, and could even get you banned 😛

• @Jacob-Moen said:

In my experience, people will abuse that option to get moderators to answer their question. I already seen it happen too many times elsewhere.
    If nothing else, it is a sure-fire way of pissing off over-worked moderators, and could even get you banned 😛

If that happens they should be educated, I guess we are talking about very different kinds of forums.. where I am it's just entertainment so it's not weird that they mistake the sub or something.

@Kowlin said:

@a_5mith @Arc This is correct, why just don't drop a chat message to any member that has moderate privileges. Besides there is this current thing about the flagging system that wasn't 100% planned in my opinion, and that is that users with the moderate privilege can't see the reason that a topic is flagged for.

Now you can say the reason why has been flagged, that's why I'm proposing this now.. otherwise would be a imposible to find out what that auto-flag means.

@Arc said:

@Pixel I'm- a little worried by the prospect of the flag button becoming a "call flight attendant" button.

Maybe but that depends on the moderator, whether he is a "call flight attendant" or not. If you flag your own post in a forum about smartphones and ask the mod "Hi, can you help me to unbrick my mobile phone" that must be ignored.

Another example, if it's a forum about DIY you ask whatever question through PM to the mod/staff that mod/staff must avoid it and try to speak in public...

But all those things I believe that should be solve by educating (a.k.a. ignoring wrong ways of communication) the users, not avoiding new channels of communications (like auto flag)

• @Pixel I am sure that we don't want new ways to educate people. There are enough already.
    I am referring to the Yii Framework forum and the Ogre3D forum - not exactly small communities.
    Where people are already sending PMs because they want you to debug their code, or give them an answer.
    I don't think that behaviour should be encouraged.
    And adding the option to flag your own post is exactly that.

• Translator

@Pixel Note that only Administrators can see the flag reasons, not the moderators who don't got access to the ACP.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.