Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• clustering on one cpu

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    S

@julian said in clustering on one cpu:

@teh_g Keep in mind that the 503 threshold is conservative, it is likely okay for you to raise that number by a bit before having to spin up new servers.

We did that too, helped a lot.

• nodeBB integration in a web app UI

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

I am a web developer, new to nodeBB.

I am working on a web app where users can discuss a document (see the prototype here; I am in the process of simplifying the UX and planning for version 1). The UI looks like this:
    -- a main area shows the document,
    -- in other areas/windows/tabs, users can create topics to discuss parts of the document.

Does it sound feasible with nodeBB? My main concern is not OAuth/SSO, but client-side display.

• Category cards on Persona theme

Moved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@MJ it's neither. You will have to rewrite the template file to match that (it's vanilla theme).

• Deleting categories

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

@JKF80 what version of NodeBB? Disabling the category should remove it from that page. Are there any errors?

• Getting Version Number

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    R

Thank you @baris . Your tip didn't get me precisely what I needed but it got me on the right path. This is what I was looking for: config.version

• Google Tag Manager

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    E

they want it in the head / body fields.

footer.tpl doesn't have those. i'm going to try header.tpl

• Problems !

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    R

@PitaJ I will do

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    S

@PitaJ

run:
    sudo chmod 777 .npm/source-map/

then npm install again:
    $ npm install
    npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: Please upgrade to 2.2.19 or higher
    npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: wrench.js is deprecated! You should check out fs-extra (https://github.com/jprichardson/node-fs-extra) for any operations you were using wrench for. Thanks for all the usage over the years.
    npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
    npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
    npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: graceful-fs v3.0.0 and before will fail on node releases >= v7.0. Please update to graceful-fs@^4.0.0 as soon as possible. Use 'npm ls graceful-fs' to find it in the tree.
    [email protected] node_modules/require_optional/node_modules/semver -> node_modules/semver
    [email protected] /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/NodeBB

though still have warning, but installed succeed. Thanks very much! I will go for next steps.

• Skin not affecting anything

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    RoiEXLabR

My bad, The problem was, that I had a custom skin using the admin account... that's why the theme didn't seem to change!

• Xenforo to NodeBB

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

Link Preview Image GitHub - akhoury/nodebb-plugin-import-xenforo: nodebb-plugin-import-xenforo exporter for nodebb-plugin-import

nodebb-plugin-import-xenforo exporter for nodebb-plugin-import - akhoury/nodebb-plugin-import-xenforo

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

Maybe that could help

• socket.io connection error 503

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    HasanCH

Ok, i think nobody will answer that question.

After dig it i realised that the issue is about apache mod_proxy_wstunnel. When nodebb works on TCP port there is no problem but on unix socket it seems that mod_proxy_wstunnel is not meant to work with Unix domain sockets.

For example;
    ProxyPass "/ws" "unix:/tmp/nodebb.sock|ws://127.0.0.1/" not work.

Best Regards,

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    D

@Giggiux I resolve. My problem is that I close the console with ctrl+z and I must close the console with ctrl+c. I think that the first doesn't close all ports of nodebb !

• Unable to login after upgrade

Solved
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

Glad to hear it is resolved 🙂

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Ben RometschB

Anyone done this? I'm getting stuck - I think I need to get node running on the port defined by the env var PORT - is this possible?

Thanks!

• Can't get partial tpl render

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    jiangcaiyangJ

You know, all the public files are minimized into what we call nodebb.min.js file, in this case, try to search text from nodebb.min.js to see if anything are embeded into this file.

• fresh install after system reboot nodebb blank page

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    HasanCH

Yes, you are right, thank you. My redis.conf file was broken. As usual, at the end of the day redis error finds you ! Finally setup is done.

My nodebb setup experience = Hey nodebb ! if you want to grow you have to support MySQL. It isn't important how fast redis is because it does not give confidence any time.

Best Regards,

• Could not find admin login password

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

@smogulur the security of NodeBB makes it impossible to retrieve a password. This is by design. If you haven't gotten too far as far as installation goes, you should drop the database you chose and restart.

• Automating NodeBB Updates

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

@louisemcmahon something like this can work okay:

Have two git remotes: origin and fork

git remote rm origin git remote add origin https://github.com/nodebb/nodebb.git git remote add fork https://example.com/your/repo.git

Then you can used these named remotes for updating / pushing like so:

# pull and merge latest changes from NodeBB git pull origin # push latest changes to your repo git push fork

That will make updating things easier.

• Documentation for Settings and Managing Forum

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    M

Not that I know of. Aren't they self-describing?
    Could you explain where exactly are you stuck?

• Simplifying the URL

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    E

@PitaJ said in Simplifying the URL:

@etakmit unfortunately, multiple posts can have the same title, so some kind of unique ID has to be included in the url. It could be the pid of the post, either prepended or appended to the URL, or something else.

Fair point!