Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    W

@PitaJ Thanks for the info.. This is the material light library right? Yeh doubt they will change their policies for storage sites.. My company was bought by another and they even blocked SD card \ USB writes. Thanks.

• Where is the template parsing logic?

Solved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    Q

@jiangcaiyang I meant to say siblings, the (misleading?) path syntax '../' lead me to saying parent's siblings. I don't mean parsing them either, I only intend to reference them.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    jiangcaiyangJ

@PitaJ Tried, but still 403.
    Is there any convenient way to check if the rules are valid.
    And there are few instances on regular expressions for nginx valid_referers.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

@CJ-Infantino you can disable plugins from the command line:

./nodebb reset -p nodebb-plugin-sso-wordpress
  • Delete topic setting confusion

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    B

@BuZz 1 is the correct answer,as the number of replies includes the first post in the topic which isn't technically a reply, which I think adds to the confusion.

Also with the reversed logic from the 2 settings before (which are how many seconds someone is allowed to do something, rather than how many until they are disallowed)

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    G

@jiangcaiyang when I go to QT's forum I get redirected to https

• Outgoing link changes to lowercase in upload folder

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    G

So, I started uploading files in the public/uploads/file via scp.
    The topic I created/create with the write-api have as content more or less only a link with code:
    [file-to-download's name](/uploads/files/timestamp-File-To-Download-s-Name).

The link in the first topics works perfectly, but in the latest 4/5 topic (and in the new ones I create) the link, when clicked, change automatically to lowercase, resulting in an error "Not Found". But if I copy the link from the HTML (where is not lowercase), it does download the file.

What can be? That changes those links?

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    S

Hi, see this example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cpq54296zzhggn/Screenshot 2017-01-27 11.14.26.png?dl=0

I've shared a post, and it showing the site logo which looks terrible on a shared post. I found the og:image setting in the admin area, so I hope that it fixes that part.

But the URL - I set the DNS of my board to show the URL as boards.babygrande.com. So I'm confused why when I share a post, it shows the nodeBB address.

How do I set a og:URL property, or in simpler terms, how do I have the URL display as boards.babygrande.com, and not the nodeBB address?

Thanks
    S

• It does not work administrative panel

Solved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    S

@hukadan THANKS!!!

• Weird nodebb 502 bad gateway

0 Votes
    15 Posts
    5k Views
    W

@PitaJ said in Weird nodebb 502 bad gateway:

at version of NodeBB do you have?

currently running 1.0.3
    After making backups, I ran the ./nodebb upgrade which did some stuff but the problem was still there and I rollebacked and decided to run it via forever.
    just wondering why it would not work the way that it did for 2 years 😮

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    5k Views
    P

@rod it's not displayed anywhere on the theme.

• Chats not updating

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

It is only required if you are running more than 1 process.

• How do I get rid of NodeBB?

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    E

@tedbaker said in How do I get rid of NodeBB?:

@etakmit isn't this the 'Site Title' under Settings > General, you can either change the text or turn it off

I was so worried about the icon section that I entirely missed that field. Thank you!

• [Solved] Socket.io 400/500 Errors

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    hekH

Done...

Link Preview Image Socket.io 400 errors · Issue #5393 · NodeBB/NodeBB

After spending a few days debugging a problem on our forum/nginx, I've finally found a solution to a massive amount of http 400 errors we've seen when loading the nodebb forum. These problems normally only manifest itself on high load.. ...

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• Error when trying to start NodeBB

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    PitaJP

@SparaxVenator try running npm install

• Prova de pregunta

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Octavi RodriguezO

Prova de pregunta

• 0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    N

I just tried out 1.4.2 on my docker image. The result: No Google fonts error and it starts up.
    So, whatever caused the problem is gone in 1.4.2. Very nice.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    T

@baris Thank you, it explains a lot. 😁

• Upgraded NodeBB To V1.4.2 Errors

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@pichalite Thank you for the response.

That was most peculiar, but I reset the config.json to be how it was and it stopped having this error.

Besides I still think it's best to check data.config, before extracting data.config.loggedin anyway.