Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    C

Ok I found pfff...

My "Parent" had as parent, "Parent". So I removed it thanks to http://.../admin/manage/categories/* urls...

Would be great to be forbidden or something logged 😉

Regards.

• Hook for group.join and group.leave

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    J

Thank you @baris !
    For anyone else looking for the same, action:group.join and action:group.leave provide a single uid, and one or more group names (as array).
    Have fun developing 😉

• Delete/hide user profile element

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    D

Is it doable to delete or hide some elements, i.e. signature or website from the user profile?

• Redis or MongoDB?

0 Votes
    34 Posts
    12k Views
    S

@scottalanmiller my support forum has pretty low traffic, so it’s not really an issue 😊

Actually the version of postgresql I had to install on my server doesn’t seem to be compatible with my install of Plesk either.

But it works well, and I don’t have to mess around learning how to support mongodb.

• Custom page not found

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

I want to enable facebook login on my forum and Facebook asks for a site policy page for the login app.

Installed custom pages plugin, made a custom page and when I try to acces it I get this error You seem to have stumbled upon a page that does not exist. Return to the home page.

I don't know what could go wrong and really need the Fb login. In build/public/templates I see the files mypage.tpl and mypage.js.

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    J

Thank you @baris !

• Trim username on login

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    J

Wow thanks @julian !

• limit new topics to only administrators?

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    julianJ

@sweetp Yes, this seems to be a recurring theme. We should be addressing this at some point...

https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-theme-persona/issues/434

• Favicon vs. Homescreen/Touch icon

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    julianJ

@plebivac Sadly some bad news --

favicon.ico is largely deprecated but is still supported Browsers will actively use <link rel="icon"> if found, superceding favicon.ico, this is why the wrong favicon is seen in browser There is no way to specifically serve one icon for the browser and one icon for mobile devices, at least on Android. There is the apple-touch-icon, but in NodeBB, we just lump it along with the "home screen icon" setting.

So I think you're going to want to just upload the same image to both fields 😕

• Forum slows down to unusability during events

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    2k Views
    W

@Dravere thx for the reply. Sadly it couldn't be more true.

The reason why I chose this setup (for now, certainly won't stick around as I hate it) is because I have a Plesk installed to manage the standard websites on the server. Plesk comes with Apache and (at least in my plesk version) can put an nginx in front as a reverse proxy to all its features. Sadly the version that it brings with itself is an nginx < 1.3.13 as would be required for nodebb to be usable as a reverse proxy.

I have tried manually updating nginx but, as Plesk brings its own custom repo to pull its own images from, this is non-trivial and has rendered my setup unusable until it was reset. So currently I am stuck with Apache until I can get that figured out 😕

The only solution I could think of right now is to put a small machine in place that works as a sole loadbalancer and reverse proxy to which all domains point in the first place. That one can then distribute requests to the real server. That would enable me to run an additional nginx (not the plesk one) on a "non-80" port, allowing me to use any nginx. But as this is a sideproject that doesnt generate any income yet, putting a machine in front is not a viable option 😕

The Server is running on full SSDs. I would need to ask them which ones specifically are being used if it's of relevance. I figured "as long as it's SSD, it should be fine" up until now. Let me know if I should inquire and I will.

Thanks again for your time. Cheers!

• No more disable local login

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB

It is a global privilege now on the privileges page.

• Stuck loading after Login

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    brian4021B

@julian This is before the login
    0_1540609836332_before.png

Now that I try to recreate that issue, it's working fine.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    S

drag and drop works for me, it can be a little fiddly though

• Server running on 0.0.0.0:4567

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

0.0.0.0 is the address which stands for "accepting any incoming connection on port xxxx". You can indeed just visit your-droplet-ip:4567 to access the installer. Or, you can run ./nodebb setup from the shell.

• administrator notifications for all posts?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    S

@baris awesome!
    thx

• We need someone to install NodeBB

1 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    S

@pottla woah - 60hrs is extreme...
    I migrated from an old myBB forum to NOdeBB, and it took waaaaaaay less than that.

It was less than simple too, I had to set up a droplet on Digital Ocean as an intermediate forum so I could migrate my data across.

MyBB (mySQL database on my VPS) -> Mongo(Digital Ocean)
    Mongo -> Postgres(Digital Ocean)

then import from DigitalOcean to my own VPS
    I also needed to install postgres etc on my own server, and I themed my forum.

support.sweetpproductions.com

• How to use NodeBB on PostgreSQL

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

Yes. I don't think there is a guide right now, but it shouldn't be too hard. You just need to select postgresql in the setup step.

• Can't edit profile template

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    PitaJP

Oh sorry I wasn't paying attention. Those two aren't in any templates afaik. They're added by the widget system.

• How to visualize data using special programs?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    PitaJP

It looks like you've misunderstood the purpose of this forum. This is the community forum for the Node.js-based forum software known as NodeBB.

For general Node help, you might want to try StackOverflow, SpeakJS on Discord, or /r/node and /r/javascript on Reddit.

• Dashboard understanding problem

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    D

Left Y axis is page views (gray), right Y axis is unique visitors (blue). A page view is just what it say, a visitor looking at a page. A unique visitor is identified by IP. Thus it is a unique IP visiting your site. They are summarized over a day in the graph. Thus every value is per day.

The total you see below is the sum of all page views over the last seven days.