Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Error during upgrade

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    barisB

Nope that upgrade can be run multiple times without side effects.

• HTTPS with External Let's Encrypt Certificate

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    The WormsT

you use proxy hosted externally ?

• I need online user avatar on forum stats

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    T

Hello. How to add avatar user instead of the name?

0_1541699322301_useronline.png

I

• Can group name have translation?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    J

Hi Devs,
    Is it possible to use translation in group names, so for example if I have "developers", internally (that is, in the database), the group is called "developers", however in the user homepage, or for example in mentions the translation will be used.
    Thank you!
    JJ.

• External api

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    J

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me or get me in the right direction.. I want to request data from a external api and post the content on a custom page or in a widget ... just trying to figure out where to start ... the externalapi is https://documenter.getpostman.com/view/4499368/RWEjoGqD

Any advices?

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    A

I just reinstalled the forum and everything is working fine.
    The links have the right url, I did not have a 403 error even without modifying config.json with socket.io origins.
    While at the installation I did not change anything.
    But hey, everything works fine, it's the main lol.

Thanks, i love to use NodeBB !

(I just put the url of the site when setting up the forum and not by changing config.json later as I had done the first, it may be from there?)

• Configure sendmail: email throttling

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    J

Hi @PitaJ ,
    Done: https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/6911
    In the meantime, is there a way to modify said js code without it being over-written on each update?

• Fresh install freeze after a while

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    SimosS

This is the current situation after a while i'm using it https://imgur.com/a/caC0ju2

• First time setup failure.

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    J

Hey guys! Thanks for the help!

I finally got it working. Basically, I used @PitaJ link, and also had to do a bit more research on what file I had to point ssl_certificate to.

Thanks so much!

• Plugin config not loading

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

Did you rebuild and restart, or did you just restart?

You have to rebuild after installing plugins.

• Social media sharing with post previews

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    Vamsi KrishnaV

@PitaJ Thanks. will try!

• cannot post topics or reply on nodebb v 1.10.2

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    Oladokun Horlar-sunkanmiO

@PitaJ yea..its working already..i just did a fresh installation..thanks

• Detect root parent forum

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB

To get the root parent you would have to write a plugin and traverse up until you hit parentCid=0, this isn't available in core.

To detect page changes listen to the action:ajaxify.end client side event.

• New Bug Hit This Morning in Chat (1.10.2)

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

Happened on the MangoLassi community. Appears to have happened in someone's chat session. The result didn't bring down the forum, but did break some things like quotes and replies and we could no longer find the end of threads. But mostly the forum was intact. A restart fixed everything, and we've never seen this bug before. But didn't want to fail to report it, either.

We are on NodeBB 1.10.2, all plugins fully up to date (and very few in general), and NodeJS 10.8.0.

2018-11-02T15:50:41.288Z [14501] - error: /user/donahue/chats/2255 Error: [[error:no-privileges]] at /opt/mangolassi-1.0/src/controllers/accounts/chats.js:34:17 at nextTask (/opt/mangolassi-1.0/node_modules/async/dist/async.js:5324:14) at next (/opt/mangolassi-1.0/node_modules/async/dist/async.js:5331:9) at /opt/mangolassi-1.0/node_modules/async/dist/async.js:969:16 at /opt/mangolassi-1.0/node_modules/async/dist/async.js:2806:17 at /opt/mangolassi-1.0/node_modules/async/dist/async.js:473:16 at iteratorCallback (/opt/mangolassi-1.0/node_modules/async/dist/async.js:1064:13) at /opt/mangolassi-1.0/node_modules/async/dist/async.js:969:16 at Immediate._onImmediate (/opt/mangolassi-1.0/node_modules/async/dist/async.js:2799:21) at runCallback (timers.js:694:11) at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:664:5) at processImmediate (timers.js:646:5)
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Theme not found, from local folder

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    C

@yariplus Looking at the main package.json I notice that although my theme from local folder works untill something happens - and I have the problem described here - it's not listed there.

Before deciding for Nodebb tried another app relying on composer and I had to manually add my local plugins, templates to main composer.json. I have to add my local theme to package.json the same way, here?

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    G

I've finally managed to do it going to a origin branch and doing a pull of the source branch "v1.8.x". I've executed the nodebb upgrade script and it worked fine, but now there are some npm libraries that are missing, so i'll need to do some tweaks there.

Thanks!

• nodebb-plugin-calendar - delete post issue

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    1k Views
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    1k Views
    JsonHiveJ

@TaLoche
    I'll test it. Thanks for answering!

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    C

Ok I found pfff...

My "Parent" had as parent, "Parent". So I removed it thanks to http://.../admin/manage/categories/* urls...

Would be great to be forbidden or something logged 😉

Regards.