Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Show child categories in category description

Moved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    A

Well, I have upgraded to v1.1.2 and now it is shown.

Regards.

• Problem installing plugins on hosted demo

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    D

Hi,

I am vision impaired and use a screen reader so maybe it is just an accessibility issue.

I have just signed up for the hosted demo and looking into different solutions for a forum such as NodeBB, Muut, Vbulletin etc.

I am trying to install a new plugin and get to the page where you can search for plugins under the admin menu.

There is no labelled search button so I type in a search phrase such as "question answer" without the quotes as I want to check out the question and answer plugin. I then hit enter to presumably submit the search request.

The page refreshes but no plugins are shown.

Am I doing the search process incorrectly or is adding plugins banned in the demo perhaps,

Thanks,
    Dale.

• Getting rid of guest users

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    5k Views
    E

solved, the removed users were still present on username:uid
    the id 0 and global guest comes from trying to search non existant users on user:uid

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

On top of what @baris said, if you are using a reverse-proxy like nginx, you can add that location to redirect to the same place.

• Topic Tools?

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    K

yes the link is play.gayming.xyz

• 0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    yariplusY

@Claus perfect 🙂

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    deiden26D

So I found a solution that approximates my desired behavior. In the admin panel, go to Extend > Rewards. Create a new reward with the following rules

If User's: Post Count
    Is: > 0
    Then: Award Reputation
    Amount of reputation: 1

This will add 1 reputation for a user on every post, but each post will still start with 0 votes.

• Running nodebb on Plesk Onyx..

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    SmirS

So... hello 🙂

I was wondering if anyone has setup nodebb on Plesk Onyx succesfully?

from what i can tell, everything is setup and working as it should, but I can not connect?...

3/9 19:13 [7] - info: NodeBB v1.1.2 Copyright (C) 2013-2016 NodeBB Inc. 3/9 19:13 [7] - info: This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. 3/9 19:13 [7] - info: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. 3/9 19:13 [7] - info: 3/9 19:13 [7] - info: NodeBB Setup Triggered via Command Line Welcome to NodeBB! This looks like a new installation, so you'll have to answer a few questions about your environment before we can proceed. Press enter to accept the default setting (shown in brackets). URL used to access this NodeBB (http://localhost:4567) > [email protected] start /usr/src/app > node loader.js 3/9 19:14 [36] - info: Launching web installer on port 4567 3/9 19:14 [36] - info: Web installer listening on http://0.0.0.0:4567 npm info it worked if it ends with ok npm info using [email protected] npm info using [email protected] npm info prestart [email protected] npm info start [email protected]

anyone have any experiance?

• Change redirect link for /login when already logged in

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    K

I ended up creating an oauth plugin for my app based off of this skeleton:
    https://github.com/julianlam/nodebb-plugin-sso-oauth

and instead linked it to https://forum.mysite.com/auth/myapp and it performs the intended functionality.

• 1 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    C

@Calum122 Nevermind, I simply did not have it configured correctly

• 1 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    julianJ

@deiden26 That said, you're not going insane, the package manager has been delayed in updating packages simply because npm resets their counter every once in awhile, and doesn't automatically notify nbbpm in any way. Will code a fix for it today so hopefully this is the last we'll hear of it.

• Widgets Drag & Drop

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    Z

Thank you very much 🙂 👍

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    spicewieselS

thanks, I will reset all plugins for the next update to test which one causes the trouble.

• howto: enable ES6 compilation?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    yariplusY

The minifier NodeBB currently uses does not support ES6 compilation, you will need to transpile your code into ES5 using Babel.

• Errors upgrading from 1.1.0 to 1.1.2

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    G

Problems in the permission of the files.
    chown -R [nodebbUser] [nodebbFolder]
    solved it 🙂

• Center text

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    CygnusC

Hello,

One question, how can I center text?

Thanks!

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    deiden26D

@exodo Thank you for finding that for me. That will be perfect

• Edit/remove tags

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

That's correct.

• Installing on ubuntu 14.04 - impossible?

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    CygnusC

@HolyPhoenix My test forum is on Digital Ocean, and they have SSD disks. Thanks for the info!