Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• In-Topic Searching: no-plugins-available

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    P

@KitsuneSolar nodebb-plugin-dbsearch does not support In-Topic searching. You will have to use nodebb-plugin-solr

• Notification Alert Bug

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    jareyJ

Reported same here a while ago, thought it only happenned on pushbullet:

Link Preview Image Pushbullet notfication without translation

A notification received just now in this community, emitted by the puhbullet plugin comes with no translation in the message. Could be that strings are no pu...

favicon

NodeBB Community (community.nodebb.org)

• SMTP timeout

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@Bastien you will either need sendmail installed on your server to be able to send email from local or use one of the available emailer plugins. Those third party emailer services do have some free plans.

nodebb-plugin-emailer-mailjet nodebb-plugin-emailer-sendgrid nodebb-plugin-emailer-mailgun
  • This topic is deleted!

Moved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 403 Forbidden

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    B

Ok i understand its because i use serverpilot on this server and he use apache

• 0 Votes
    18 Posts
    6k Views
    yariplusY

@Jam haha yeah, google translate figured it out. It just took me a minute to realize I had to type it in Chinese characters.

• Invalid session

0 Votes
    23 Posts
    10k Views
    julianJ

Honestly? The purpose of cookiedomain is to let you "genericise" the NodeBB cookie so you can read it (and its session) in another app sharing the same express secret. It's useful, but 99.999% of admins probably don't use it, and setting it can definitely cause problems.

• 0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    greenmoonG

@yariplus Great thanks for these insights.

Actually I see two types of groups:

Settings > Group (in our case these are Guests and Registered-user for example) Manage menu > Groups (in our case these are Ambassadors and Administrators for example)

So when I manage the category I can only manage the first type of group but not the latter that interests me the most.

For example, I wish I could have a private category for Ambassadors. As we have a group of over 100 volunteers and I'll have to add them manually already once to the second type of group, I wish I didn't have to repeat that process to add them to the private category.

Is there a way to avoid that process?

Also why are the two groups name similarly when they are two different things?

• 403 error when trying to login

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    C

In my particular case, this seems to have been caused by one or all of:

Missing the following request header in Apache: <VirtualHost *:80> RequestHeader set X-Forwarded-Proto "http" … </VirtualHost>

I added the above apache directive and restarted apache..

2.Having the cookieDomain set in the admin panel

If you cannot log into your forum, the only way to do remove this cookieDomain value is to manually run a DB query to remove it. In my case this was Mongo and I used a GUI client to remove the value.

A raw query would look something like this:

db.objects.update({_key: "config"}, {$set: {cookieDomain: ""}});

More info here - https://community.nodebb.org/topic/9196/invalid-session?_=1470286431609&page=1

• Unable to change Current Theme

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    P

either run ./nodebb log from the console or check the file output.log under the logs folder in NodeBB's installation directory or got to ACP -> advanced -> logs

• 1 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Hello there!

NodeBB is designed to work best under a virtual private server. Using a traditional hosting service is not recommended as they do not have the capabilities to power NodeBB effectively.

The code and instructions can be found here at our project repository Full instructions can be found in our Documentation Portal We recommend DigitalOcean to host your NodeBB, you'll get a month free just by registering with this link.

Thank you for your interest in NodeBB!

• Elastic Beanstalk Deployment Issue

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    S

thanks @julian

• Don't allow users to delete posts

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    JenklerJ

There is a lot of settings 😉 I am using this my self. My settings is about 1 week

• Unable to Install Plugins

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Looks like you do not have write access to the volume your NodeBB is installed in.

• Notification will not go away

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    R

@phit Thank you. A solution that is obvious once pointed out.

• resize problem

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    P

@pikshub fixed on master https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/pull/4864

• Any experience on deployment automation?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    W

Great idea, didn't think of npm update, thanks 🙂

• Voting issue on v1.1.0

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    Marc Boisvert-DuprasM

@pichalite Thank you!

• Extend invite token validation

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    C

Hi all,

I really need to extend invite token validity duration.
    As by now when I invite someone, the token is valid for only 24h.
    How can I change that ?
    Would be possible to extend for a week ?

Thanks in advance,
    Fred

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    BriB

On this forum? What browser and OS are you using?