Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• Issue with invited users

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

@sohpingting For hosted instances, please email us directly at [email protected].

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

That is quite bizarre 😦

Unfortunately I do not have experience with Apache, so unless you want to try nginx (which I think is kind of overkill of a solution), you'll have to see if anyone else can help...

• warn: [socket.io] Empty method name

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

I'm getting this error in the nodebb log when I try and create a new post/topic:

warn: [socket.io] Empty method name

I recently moved the forum between servers. When I hit submit on the new post/topic, the submit button dims to a lighter blue and becomes disabled but the post is not created.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can troubleshoot this further?

I am using the redactor composer v 1.3.6. NodeBB version is 0.9.0 (I plan to upgrade soon but would like to fix this first)

composer default is disabled - I have a dim memory that this was required in order to use the redactor composer.

Would be grateful for any ideas on what might be causing this as I am crying into my cornflakes 😞

• Deassociate with SSO

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    JenklerJ

Yeah, thats true indeed. So a Deassociate function would be great 🙂 It much easier to get people to signup with SSO 😉

• uploads for non admins/mods

2 Votes
    11 Posts
    3k Views
    C

sent it again, try checking spam folder, the email its coming from is [email protected]

• Search limitation for guest.

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    JenklerJ

Yeah, but this is only for guest searches to minimize abuse!

• Post-list in user profile all grey

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    vukidrockV

hi Baris, thank you for your support

I use git fetch and ./nodebb upgrade

It's OK now

• How to modify the TAGs' name?

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    JamJ

@pichalite because some topics i synchronized from GHOST's blog through nodebb-plugin-blog-comments, and the TAGs were synchronized too, but it would appear that some TAGs' symbol were escaped by the system, just like musician's equip was escaped to musician&X27S equi....

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    N

@pichalite Thanks. I appreciate the knowledge.

• Duplicate Thread Prevention

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    P

@jtwanke no

• users reputation

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    barisB

@pichalite Yes please file it in the repo, that would just increment the reputation in the user hash but their order in the /users/sort-reputation page won't change.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    C

@Dravere I tried this but it didn't seem to resolve the problem for me. I don't have the sites in sub-folders - I'm using different ports instead i.e 4567 and 4566

I added the code here:

Link Preview Image Made the session cookie aware of the possible relative path by Dravere · Pull Request #4663 · NodeBB/NodeBB

When you run two NodeBB forums on the same host but in different subfolders (e.g. http://example.com/tf1/ and http://example.com/tf2/) the session cookies will interfer with each other, because their path is set to '/'. This small change sets the path of the session cookies to the relative path if the relative path is set. The cookies for the socket.io have their path already set correctly. So no change is necessary there.

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    JenklerJ

Petty advanced code that bugs like 😉

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    2k Views
    JamJ

@pichalite ok, got it, thanks so much ~

• Restricting a single user from a category

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    1k Views
    Z

Well, phooey.

What would be a good way (Mongo statement, I suppose) to add every user to a group?

• 1 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    JamJ

@pichalite wow, i see it, thanks so much for your reply !!! 👍

• Avoiding the post_bar.tpl after the first post

0 Votes
    19 Posts
    4k Views
    barisB

Maybe we can remove those checks now, they were added before we had the placeholder element in the template.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

@Shaun Yeah, the master branch... might have been fixed already.

• Issues with Redis

Solved
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    8k Views
    markkusM

@yariplus Nope, I just moved away from DO. And yes, for me also it was probably the 3rd time where I had to install a database package manually as previous attempts to apt-get install had failed or installed an outdated version. I really wish they updated database packages more often on Ubuntu repos, since my problem occurred only due to an outdated redis package on Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) repo. 😠

• Change user profiles display

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    J

gonna look, thanks again!