Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    yariplusY

Just linking this related issue.

Link Preview Image ability to edit skin colors · Issue #3886 · NodeBB/NodeBB

I think it would be cool, but might take a little bit, if you made it so that admins could make custom skins by just changing the colors, and setting if it is a round or square skin, so like the Cerulean skin VS. the Cosmo theme. I know ...

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• 502 bad gateway

0 Votes
    20 Posts
    5k Views
    P

yeah, no issues here either running node v4.4.5LTS with nodebb 1.0.3
    I wonder if it is maybe a plugin causing it?

• 0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    W

@pichalite That fixed it. Thanks for your help!

• Russian Support Forum gone!

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

Link to that forum disabled for now 😄

• Invalid session error (no proxy)

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    ArcticRaz0rA

Problem was solved by leaving blank the Cookie Domain field in Admin -> Settings -> Advanced

• Crash on /search

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@Alexander-Craggs MongoDB, version 2.6 or greater is required

• Custom Paths

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    G

Thanks, I'll work on it and report here.

• (SOLVED) Pushing to Heroku

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    meshmellowM

I think I got it pushed to the Heroku app because it did the building process it does with my own app, and I can see nodeBB in the Heroku logs starting up, but it crashes right away now. I am thinking it might have something to do with the MongoDB connection? (It's a Sandbox MongoLabs connection, but it works for my other app and when I run NodeBB locally it makes changes to to the online MongoLab DB as confirmed through their administrative tools)

These are my Heroku logs:
    2016-06-15T00:00:56.420459+00:00 app[web.1]:
    2016-06-15T02:54:01.203018+00:00 app[web.1]: > [email protected] start /app
    2016-06-15T02:54:01.203024+00:00 app[web.1]: > node loader.js
    2016-06-15T02:54:03.280111+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Process exited with status 0

I might have done something horribly wrong when building but I am at a loss for what it could be. After cloning the NodeBB from your git, and then trying to push it to my app with a fresh repo clone, it tells me what the srcref for master isn't there when I try "git push heroku master", however if I try what the tutorial says "git push -u heroku v1.x.x:master" it says that it's up to date instead and nothing gets pushed. This is when I tried setting my git heroku branch to master and pushing anyway (it uploaded and the app crash)

EDIT: I am going to try and do a fresh clone later when I get back from work and create a new Heroku app to attempt this from Step 1, and I will detail my process for you guys so that you have a better understanding of what I might be doing wrong.

• My suggestion

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    JenklerJ

Thats nice, support in native language is good 🙂

• [solved] "Invalid Session" problem

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    PappmannP

solved

can anyone add it to official documentation?
    https://docs.nodebb.org/en/latest/configuring/proxies/apache.html

Thanks

• Send Email Locally

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    G

Thanks, guys! I got it to work.

• 'Category Privileges' does not seem to work

1 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

Fixed in latest master, the labels were swapped, so "Access" was actually controlling "Create", and vice versa.

• NGINX config problem ?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    julianJ

@yariplus said in NGINX config problem ?:

If a location is defined by a prefix string that ends with the slash character, and requests are processed by one of proxy_pass, fastcgi_pass, uwsgi_pass, scgi_pass, or memcached_pass, then the special processing is performed.

... this explains so much 😓

• 504 Gateway Time-out - nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    10k Views
    julianJ

Hi, have you guys tried using the master branch to see if this has been resolved already? It sounds.. familiar

• NodeBB forms - Howto?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    JenklerJ
    Yes, my server handels both nodejs and php as @yariplus said 🙂 Is the plugin option the only option. No hacks? It would be nice if i could use nobeBB core todo this.! This cant be a feature that is unique to med. Mailforms is pretty standard on webpages and has been for many years. Any plugin that i should know about. My nodejs coding skills is not that good 😞 php-dev here 😛

Note: The mail form I speak about is located on my frontpage at https://www.jenkler.se. (Page bottom!)

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    wktangW

@pichalite Yes. I have tested that if the user is not currently online, the user is able to receive email from executing the above code.

• Composer has no text alignment?

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    P

Threw something quick together based on nodebb-plugin-spoilers, I also looked into extending the existing markdown plugin using the extension support the parser has, but didn't really succeed. Would be great if we could just add markdown-it extensions in the admin panel to extend the syntax, cuz there are plenty existing ones

• Deliver mails locally

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    mechanixM

@frissdiegurke No no, root was actualy that user I was sudo in. The forum runs as a non privilged user. I created that symbolic link but mails aren´ t sent. 😞

Sending mails from the cli with the user www-data works also.

• Restart takes forever

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Jett WangJ

I clicked restart forum and the forum is still dead. It's been 5 minutes.
    Usually restart only takes 10 secs before the site is back up.
    I don't really have a development background so this might be a dumb question... help please...!

edit
    its been ~40 minutes I'm still getting the 502... should I give up...

• How to delete all topics from a Category ?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    assameseA

@pichalite said in How to delete all topics from a Category ?:

delete/purging topics from the client side does not remove the category

You are right....so I am left with a 'fake' category which I disable anyway