Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• WebSocket 403 Errors

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    PitaJP

You must set the url value in config.json to the URL at which you access your site.

• Firing off client side javascript in a partial

Moved Unsolved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    ShardS

@pichalite said in Firing off client side javascript in a partial:

@Shard take a look at this plugin as reference

Link Preview Image File not found · NodeBB-Community/nodebb-plugin-reactions

Reactions plugin for NodeBB. Contribute to NodeBB-Community/nodebb-plugin-reactions development by creating an account on GitHub.

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

That function is setup to run on the topic page. You can do that similarly for profile page.

Well, I was part wrong. Seems that runs kinda inconsistently that way.

I discovered I couldn't pass the array as above from ( {myplugin.thearray} ) as the argument, found I couldn't iterate through that array unless I converted it to an array of objects.

But it won't launch in the iterated loop...

Augh.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    3 Posts
  • Questions about moderation in NodeBB 1.5.1

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Hey there,

I believe bans can only be levied by Admins and Global Mods, this is intention as mods should only ever have power over the categories they moderate.

Flagging users can be done from the user's profile, under the dropdown:

0_1498245754176_9edb9364-5225-423f-befc-b66616fb074a-image.png

(Don't worry, I didn't flag you 😄 )

Assignees should also list all users with the Moderate privilege. If it doesn't show them, then it is possibly a bug...

• upgrade command not working

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

@horridbumblebutt ./nodebb upgrade doesn't upgrade the version of NodeBB.

Link Preview Image Upgrading - NodeBB Documentation

favicon

(docs.nodebb.org)

• 0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    D

Another thing ..

If the option Enable authentication via JSON Web Tokens is checked in the admin panel of the Write API, the request to /v1/users/:uid/tokens with password in the content body never gets hit, so it's not possible to choose between the two.

So either

uncheck authentication via JSON Web Tokens and use password based request for tokens or .. configure JSON Web Token Secret to request tokens and forget about password based generation.

It doesn't say anything about it in the API's documentation

POST /:uid/tokens
    Creates a new user token for the passed in uid
    Accepts: No parameters normally, will accept password in lieu of Bearer token
    Can be called with an active token for that user
    This is the only route that will allow you to pass in password in the request body. Generate a new token and then use
    the token in subsequent calls.
  • Sticky footer

Moved
    1 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    Esteban ConstanteE

@phit Yeah, I made a new footer with a different id, set the css to that id and it's working now 🙂

• 0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    A

@Giggiux That is correct. It will keep restarting until mongo/redis has started. I added mongod.service in the After parameter and does startup normally. I know mongod takes a minute or 2 to start, as I have tested this and nodebb is in the failed state until mongod has fully started. Sometimes mongod will show that it has started but nodebb fails to start. I just waited a couple of minutes and checked nodebb again (systemctl status nodebb) and it was up/active, without my intervention 🙂

• multiple url support ?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    yariplusY

I believe you'll need an nginx server block for each domain. In the second domain, use the nginx rewrite directive to change the url, anywhere before the proxy_pass directive.

• Heroku nodebb problem ... 500

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    M

heh but locally I have the same issue 😞

• Simple CSS Problem

Moved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    M

@baris said in Simple CSS Problem:

I just tested on this forum and it seems to work fine. What version are you on?

I got it working....

Helps if I enable Custom CSS. :shame:

• Custom favicons

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    J

@phit thank you, it worked. I've also added some alternate stylesheet tags in header.tpl for different devices. I can still see NodeBB messing with it in some cases but overall it's ok.

@frgilb thanks for the tips. I tried but it didn't really improve the situation for us.

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    J

@btw6391 are you using Nginx in front? Search this forum for the error and check those posts for a tweak to Nginx.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    D

Suppose that we have in the username's edit page and I want put a text after header, up the box where user put username and password. So I create:

define('forum/account/edit/username', function(header) { if($('#element').length) { $('#element').remove(); } $('.edit-form').prepend('<div id="element" class="alert alert-warning">HELLO</div>'); });

The problem is that in this way , the button with id"submitBtn" that let me ti change username is not work. I can't click it. Anyone can help me to resolve this?

• Redis Error

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    M

Yeah, it was a RAM issue. Upgraded the server and all is well now.

• 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    Lucas SeverynL

I want the latest post at the top, and with the default settings, the post at the top is the first post in the thread. Is there any way to disable that behaviour?

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    A

Wasn't lwip used in 0.7.x/0.8.x?

• replace login page with auth0 sso widget

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    John HogenmillerJ

I do understand I can make a custom page with the custom-page-plugin. I should be able to get the widget and login buttons to appear there. I'm just not sure how to make the login button go to that route.

I don't necessarily need to replace /login, I just want to make sure that clicking login or doing something requires login (such as replying to a topic) takes them to my custom login page.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    G

@rod Ohh I see what it does...
    mhm since is in nodebb try:

$.get('https://fsadwork.com/show.php?z=32&pl=99&j=1&code='+new Date().getTime(), function(data) { document.getElementById("YOURTAG").innerHTML = data.replace('document.write(','').replace(')','') }); <noscript> <iframe src="https://fsadwork.com/show.php?z=32&pl=99" width="920" height="120" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" hspace="0" vspace="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe> </noscript>

But this probably will not work because they'll have cross-origin ajax control.

And of course you need to change "YOURTAG" with the id of where you want the ads to appear.

If it doesn't work.. I don't know then how could you change it 😛

• NodeBB instalation - centOS

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    A

@julian said in NodeBB instalation - centOS:

@Adam-Poniatowski Which page is that? We can get it resolved on the docs...

Oh I meant @JaredBusch tutorial, it is just the one point that is (sort of) obsolete, but one can add that to the mongod.conf file. The nodebb docs is fine. The only thing I can suggest, is to note down, that it is assumed that selinux is either permissive or disabled. in https://nodebb.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing/os/centos.html
    And maybe add @JaredBusch semanage commands there as well 🙂

@Shard Centos 7.3, it is full systemd, hence mongod does not install/copy anything into that folder. one can still use it, but its just a drag at this point. Hacking a systemd system into a systemv... I got accustomed to the change.