Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.1k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    597 Posts
    phenomlabP

@frontendjulien Always happy to help.

• 25 Topics
    196 Posts
    phenomlabP

@baris updated to 3.7.2 and now just waiting for the plugin to be updated.

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    J

@baris said in Changes to theme .tpl files don't show live:

@Jarko Yes the id field in plugin.json is not used, you need to change the name field in package.json

...and that was the issue indeed! Thank you! 💃

• add some new attributes for the users?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    JackLJ

Hi everyone, just set up my nodebb, and there are two problems I cannot fix on my own, It will be great if I can have some help here.

1 > Is there any way for me to add some new attributes for the users myself? Like, forum coin, every time a new account created, attribute forum coin=0 attach to that account.

I don't have too much experience on the web development, so my first thought was to create a new schema in the database for the user, and try to implement the new value, and make it visible on the page. But immediately I realized that the mongodb don't have a fixed schema, so apparently it is a wrong way to go to start from the database.

2> I accidentally deleted the user uid=3, is there any way for me to regain the number, 3? I created user uid=4, and tried to update the _key and uid into 3 in mongodb, but eventually the account uid=4 just disappear from the forum altogether. I know this is kind of dangerous so never mind if it's difficult.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    사다리하하

@광수김 솥ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

• Install NodeBB on Amazon Ec2

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    T

Thanks @PitaJ

I installed Node manually this way which worked perfect. Then continued with NodeBB guide & NPM install worked

curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/creationix/nvm/v0.32.0/install.sh | bash Reboot machine . ~/.nvm/nvm.sh Determine what version of Node to install nvm install 6.10.3 check version is installed by running
    node -e "console.log('Running Node.js ' + process.version)"

Thank you

Todd

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@julian said in [Question] Custom Theme Development without Bootstrap?:

we might not stick with bootstrap at all

sure about that?

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Only Steam login

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    A

I think it will be the theme, I'll try later

• 1 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    yariplusY

@suparomana said in Websocket connection problems via ssl on special port:

Apache 2.2 can not handle websockets

Ahh, thanks. Okay, that makes sense now. It sounds like it's failing because of the special port. Since that port is sending directly to NodeBB and not through the Apache proxy, NodeBB does not know the SSL key, so it will fail the connection.

I think there used to be a way to feed the SSL Key path to NodeBB in config.json, but I don't see any docs on it anymore, and I'm not even sure if that would work.

I think your best bet is to try getting websockets to work through Apache2, there seems to be several methods even though there's no official support.
    https://serverfault.com/questions/290121/configuring-apache2-to-proxy-websocket

• about sounds

Solved
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    fstdeskF

it fixed. but i do not know how, i did not do anything.

• MongoDB wont connect

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@PitaJ said in MongoDB wont connect:

Make sure mongo is running

Ahh fuck. That's what it was. I thought I set that up to automatically start.. Thanks!

• Best way to change colors of persona theme?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    4k Views
    JenklerJ

Up, up and another up! What the hell that means 😛

• Weird error

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    A

Sorry, I forgot to update this thread. I have fixed it now. Thanks for trying to help me though! @PitaJ

• Error when upgrading from 1.4.5 to 1.5.0

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    M

@azeus said in Error when upgrading from 1.4.5 to 1.5.0:

@Michael-Pfaff said in Error when upgrading from 1.4.5 to 1.5.0:

@azeus I'm also about to upgrade from 1.4.4. to 1.5.0. What steps did you take to install? I'm kind of nervous!

Like usual

$ cd /nodebb_Home
    $ git fetch
    $ git checkout v1.5.x
    $ ./nodebb upgrade

And of course backup before 😉

Worked perfectly! Thank you!

• Keeps losing connection

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    A

I would have posted earlier, but I dont have 3 rep.

Jesus im stupid. I just realised Im running "localhost" whilst trying to access it from an external PC. Changed it and it worked......

And also the bind address part. I wanna access it from other places aswell. But I got it sorted now. Thanks for your help!

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • your connection to NodeBB was lost

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    PitaJP

Your url value in config.json has to be the url at which you access your forum

• nodebb does not work, i can not reset

Solved
    0 Votes
    34 Posts
    11k Views
    fstdeskF

Thank you very much @PitaJ . now it is ok. but i remember that i had same problem two days ago after configure ngnix and config. site was good also i entered some categories and soon suddenly i got above errors. i hope it wont give error again.

• Setup Error

0 Votes
    13 Posts
    5k Views
    PitaJP

Your version of Node.js is too outdated for NodeBB. Please update your versi

In case it isn't obvious what you should do, install Node.js version 6. You can Google how to do this.

• Recent Topics Blocks

Moved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    Y

I am new in nodebb, but I really like it. The only problem I have encountered so far is the card slider. Could you tell me how I can add this so my "Recent topics" look exaclty the same way as in the community.nodebb.org?

• Assets missing on subfolder install

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    H

I hope it helps someone:

I wanted to do this, so I landed upon this thread. I had already created nginx proxy for my domain. So I basically just added /discuss (or whatever location you want)

server { listen 443; listen [::]:443; server_name site.com; access_log off; error_log /var/log/nginx/site.com-error.log; open_file_cache max=2000 inactive=20s; open_file_cache_valid 60s; open_file_cache_min_uses 5; open_file_cache_errors off; ###################################################################### ## SSL Configuration ## ## Only use this block if you are setting up the SSL (HTTPS) server ## definition of your site. ###################################################################### ssl on; ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/site/fullchain.pem; ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/site/privkey.pem; ssl_session_timeout 5m; ssl_protocols SSLv3 TLSv1; ssl_ciphers ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv3:+EXP; ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on; location /discuss { proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:4567/; proxy_redirect off; proxy_set_header Host $host; proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr; proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for; proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme; } # Custom 404 error_page 404 = /404.html; }

However, there are many other issues.

If I specify in config.json url as site.com/forum or something, css files don't load.

If I don't, if you click on anything, it will try to go to site.com/post/2/something instead of site.com/forum/post/2 etc.