Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    198 Posts
    eeeeeE

@루루 said in NodeBB + ReactJS:

Are nodebb + nextjs compatible?

Is anything Nextjs compatible? lol
    Unless Nextjs has changed in the last 3 months, it is super complicated to work with. Even then you have to use it on Vercel to have any hope of it working, as using Nextjs on another host is even more problematic.

I'm waiting for someone to tell me my past experiences are no longer valid?

On the wider-point of de-couplement, then yes, in principle modularity is a good principle to aim for. Im not a CSS fan so a year ago I did try making a pure js front end using nodebb API as a backend!
    Unfortunately that project went by the wayside as it was a lot of work!

• Nodebb Theme quickstart

Moved
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    6k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

@mkarmocha that special route is to be set within the "ACP -> General -> Home Page"; It's categories by default.

• Skins Menu item under appearance seems broken

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@pichalite in case its relevant, network console shows that
    http://bootswatch.aws.af.cm/3/?callback=bootswatchListener&_=1459933996289 is returning a 404.

• How to disable/enable themes from cli

Moved Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    M

@pichalite Hail bro!!! thanks.

• Cosmetic changes in login page - help needed

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    N

@julian Thank you. I got it done, yes, I realize during upgrade it may get over written,I hv to do it again.

• Cannot Get /

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

How did you retrieve the contents of the log (as in, what command did you run)?

• LetsEncrypt with NodeBB

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    W

Buddy I'm not following at all. The letsencrypt files are in the .well-known which are inside of the /var/www/nodebb webroot.

I added the try_files $uri =404;

It says "The client lacks sufficient authorization"

I've been through this procedure at least a dozen times now. Minutes prior to attempting with nodebb, I used it with discourse & flarum without issue. There's some sort of goof, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Thanks for the reply.

addition:

Okay it's fixed. The verification fails if using a symlink. I should have realized that wouldn't work. Just another goof. Removed the symlink and moved the folder.

• Domain name in password reset email

2 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    P

@codecowboy

Same issue I had....

I don't think I did end up solving it as fixing this issue broke emoji.....

I'm small enough to deal with password resets manually for now but can't live without emoji hahahahahaha

• Emoji Pics - Reverse Proxy

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    P

My forum hasn't gotten big enough to worry about password reset emails so I'm not sure it's working. Have to double check.

Crap. Not enough rep to double post.

Some rep please lol

• Second try at Install still not success

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    W

xenial beta 2

Yes, I installed mongodb. I've got it all sorted. Thanks for replying.

• Help

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    Hartman2508H

my new version is the new yes i disable plugins and i tried to downgrade it into old version but keep me this error

• My Node BB 502 Getway error

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    Hartman2508H

yes tnx man 🙂 for the help

• docker build 404 error

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    C

has this been abandoned?

• Upgrade from v1.0.1-auto.0 to v1.0.2

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    ljhardyL

I reinstalled and am successfully running v1.0.2.

• internal Error

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    Hartman2508H

hi i got this error on my nodebb how can i fix this problem ..

0_1459565095330_Untitled.png

and sometimes allways say
    socket eerro 127.0.0.1:2700
    and i got error
    how can i fix this

Thank you
    More Power

• BG issue

1 Votes
    14 Posts
    6k Views
    Gaurav Grv RobinsonG

@yariplus WOW! You're the man. It seems to be working fine.

• Problems installing

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    xAzX

@pichalite Yes, I see..

• What theme is this?

Moved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    xAzX

@yariplus Thanks! ❤

• Chat ... name is typing ...

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    nhl.plN

I think it was remove because of this:
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/7880/what-happened-with-the-users-viewing-a-topic-feature

• Is a 1GB DO droplet good enough?

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    4k Views
    ?

@Gaurav-Grv-Robinson ever thought about clearing it manually by dropping unused tables?

If you want feel free to PM me and I will take a look at it. But lets discuss this in the Chat as it is unrelated to the actual topic 😉

• Problems after upgrading NodeBB to 1.0.2

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    Boris DragosaniB

Thank you!