Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.8k Topics 26.5k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ
    One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy. Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active. After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser. Sign up to SendGrid Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard. Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time. SendGrid should now be working for your forum. [image: youtubelogo.png] Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB
  • NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

83 Topics
    601 Posts
    Z
    not sure the plugin worked for firefox. saw a-z in the sort icon. when i used it, i expected the topics in the category would be sorted a-z. they werent
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE
    I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues. I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects! Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.
  • Help before to install please

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    ramon lopezR
    I'm cleaning one server to make a fresh install of Centos for nodebb, any suggestion?
  • Import from SMF failing with "callFn.apply is not a function error"

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    S
    Thinking about this further, it seems like the functionality of this plugin should probably be merged/maintained with master since it's such a core component influencing adoption of NodeBB.
  • HTML sanitize (dont working)

Solved
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    J
    @frgilb Thank you so much.. i am so stupid) dont seen it. Already workin)
  • too slow

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    S
    1.10.X is the stable branch. Master is the development branch which might have bugs and other stuff. Why are you running the master branch?
  • Installing on Ubuntu with AWS EC2

0 Votes
    11 Posts
    2k Views
    S
    Use vi or nano to edit the file. Nano is probably going to be easier for you.
  • mongoBB aws ec2 windows error cache

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP
    Yes some things are different, but did you actually encounter any errors when using it? The NodeBB guide clearly says to use the official MongoDB guide if you encounter issues. Did you do that? Did that result in errors as well?
  • Using nodebb-plugin-sso-oauth for CAS Single Sign On

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    A
    Hello, I am attempting to use the nodebb-plugin-sso-oauth plugin to implement SSO with CAS into my forum. We are based on Apereo CAS. My CAS is using Oauth2. I have POST methods with urls for request code (authorization), request access token, and request profile. I have installed the plugin and set up nconf to use my constants. I activated the plugin and refreshed my nodebb forum. It is now crashing upon starting and I get the following error. 24/7 00:37:39 [29650] - error: message=Cannot read property 'length' of undefined, stack=TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined at pathtoRegexp (/root/nodebb/node_modules/path-to-regexp/index.js:63:49) at new Layer (/root/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:45:17) at Function.use (/root/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:464:17) at Function.<anonymous> (/root/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/application.js:220:21) at Array.forEach (<anonymous>) at Function.use (/root/nodebb/node_modules/express/lib/application.js:217:7) at module.exports (/root/nodebb/src/routes/index.js:139:7) at /root/nodebb/src/webserver.js4 at fn (/root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:746:34) at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1213:16 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:166:37 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:706:43 at /root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:167:37 at Immediate._onImmediate (/root/nodebb/node_modules/async/lib/async.js:1206:34) at runCallback (timers.js:810:20) at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:768:5) My guess is that for some reason, path is being passed as undefined. I am stuck and in need of help. Please provide feedback or recommendations for how I can implement CAS Single Sign On into my nodebb forum. Thank you, Abraham
  • Systemctl configuration on AWS EC2 + AWS Linux2

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    arrankaA
    What is the manual that you use?
  • Making the USER page private

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    barisB
    Turn Hide user list and data from guests on in /admin/settings/user and hit save. You should also remove find/read privileges from guests if you don't want them to see content.
  • noddebb upgrade script timeout

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S
    version: 1.10.1 Node ver: v8.11.3 git hash: c1e98eefa7fe93431ac312ecc0d90314db2c49b1 database: mongo version: 3.6.3 engine: wiredTiger Parsing upgrade scripts... OK | 4 script(s) found, 53 skipped → [2017/6/22] Hash all IP addresses stored in Recent IPs zset... [########### ] (686800/802153) 85% Error occurred Error occurred during upgrade: MongoError: cursor id 23654971494 not found at /home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/pool.js:598:61 at authenticateStragglers (/home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/pool.js:516:16) at Connection.messageHandler (/home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/pool.js:552:5) at emitMessageHandler (/home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/connection.js:309:10) at Socket.<anonymous> (/home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/node_modules/mongodb-core/lib/connection/connection.js:452:17) at emitOne (events.js:116:13) at Socket.emit (events.js:211:7) at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:263:12) at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:250:11) at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:208:10) /home/alaa/Nodebb/forum/node_modules/mongodb/lib/utils.js:132 throw err; https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/6661
  • Plugins and child theme (my own) gets magically removed. How to avoid?

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    E
    You guys are very helpful I've been in Open Source "stuff" for nearly two decades and have learned many things... but node.js and friends is completely uncharted waters for me. I will make this forum work for us. It's just too darn cool to overlook.
  • Guest is able to create topic and was able to post in a topic

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    J
    @julian Perhaps, instead of “Guest 2839” for a user who deleted the account but not the posts, something like “Former 2839” or similar. It‘s more respectful than “deleted” for former users that chose to go and weren’t spammers, but on the contrary wrote valuable posts that were kept. Of course, in the case of spammers, account and posts are all deleted, so no need for “deleted user”.
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY
    That's not actually what's wrong, your config.json was correct. The problem is your nginx config is wrong. Follow the docs here. https://docs.nodebb.org/installing/os/ubuntu/#configuring-nginx
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Users unable to upload profile image

Solved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    julianJ
    Hey @WolfiiDev -- thanks for posting. We actually noticed this internally yesterday, but if only we'd known you figured this out yesterday as well, that would've helped. That said, the latest version of NodeBB should resolve this.
  • NPM Audit vulnerabilities

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    J
    Thank you @julian , that's awesome!
  • How to enter at site without WWW

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    J
    @pitaj thx for answer but problem was at my cache. I cleaned cache and cookies and entered at site. Mark this as SOLVED plz
  • Help with nginx and VestaCP

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    PitaJP
    You don't need to put it in public_html. It makes no difference.
  • Need help with domain / nodebb installation

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    PitaJP
    I don't know if you need to get rid of the domain folder, but you do need to set up the reverse proxy.