Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    xedomX

hi,
    I have a problem with nodebb-widget-r6stats-vrk.
    -> http://prntscr.com/ism7sg
    0_1521323245895_downlsadasoad.png
    how can i solve? someone can help me?
    Thanks

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • Question about NodeBB update

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    JenklerJ

You should always have a backup before updating anything in my opinion. Better to be safe. I dont see any problems to update from 0.7.1 to 1.7.5.

Download new source Copy over the config and static content (if you have any) run ./nodebb upgrade

Simple as pie, but remember. Always backup first 😛

• Avatars do not change immediately

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    floufilleF

I had a similar issue.

But the origin of the trouble seems to be the Nginx cache.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    coinarmyC

I'm able to to add on a global scale but I'm interested to make changes also to specific topics, not only the category.

• Add smart app banner to nodebb

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    C

We use the webview app of nodebb.
    I want to install this module https://github.com/kudago/smart-app-banner
    Please help me with steps or tell some other way to show an app installation banner on the website.

• Chat UI Persona Theme

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    C

Thanks. Works.

• Image and File Upload not showing in Composer

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@baris thank you so much. I tried to update the plugin via terminal but still didn't get this fix. How do I get this update?

• chat cannot add user to room

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Link Preview Image Unable to add users to chat room if using chat modal (modal doesn't open) · Issue #6366 · NodeBB/NodeBB

For immediate backport... It does work in the chat page, just not the modal.

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

• Live threads in sidebar

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    T

Hi all,

Is it possible somehow to have a sidebar widget that displays the live threads for the category the user is in when viewing a post in that category? So for example you are viewing this thread in the technical support category, in the sidebar now you'd see the latest threads (not individual posts) in technical support. If a new thread is posted as you're reading this, that widget would update with that thread at the top...

• Chrome mobile update broke NodeBB menu

0 Votes
    21 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

@teh_g Have your reporter try using the chat page vs the chat modal... ideally the modal should only ever be used on desktop (though I don't think we've made the transition yet)

• load Jquery?

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

@loopynid if you put a script in the custom javascript section of the acp, then that script can immediately use jquery.

• Are invitation tokens only valid 24 hours?

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    2k Views
    J

@pitaj I think just explicitly mentioning in the invitation that there is a timeout could avoid major confusion.

• SSL Sample Nginx configuration

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    J

@PitaJ, @yari, I had hard time with this myself.
    It turns out nginx may change the recommended setup from one version to another. Its best to follow:

Latest setup recommendations for security for your nginx version: https://mozilla.github.io/server-side-tls/ssl-config-generator/ Remove exploits by adding into the nginx config file:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/nginx-how-to-block-exploits-sql-injections-file-injections-spam-user-agents-etc HSTS header - it looks as though someone else (nodebb? nodejs?) is inserting this header, so don't include that header in nginx.

Check your site: go to: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ with the above you should get A+ 🙂

• Installon AWS Beanstalk

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    J

Maybe this will help:
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/12013/securing-nodebb-with-a-ssl-aws-linux2-letsencrypt-nginx-exploits

• Problem in Upgrade

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    C

Thanks. Works fine now.
    Could you please address this issue as well: https://community.nodebb.org/topic/12004/image-and-file-upload-not-showing-in-composer

• Custom favicon not being shown

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    XanthropX

Lodge this one under annoyances then for 1.7.x 😃 Glad I found this thread.

• Home Page theme

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    XanthropX

@PitaJ and @julian thank you so much!

• What's up with my header all the sudden???

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    ToddT

I don't even know how to view my current version... Looked in the admin panel and on ssh I type ./nodebb --version or version and nothin.

After that, I can establish whether I need any further upgrades or not but as it stands, I did a ./nodebb upgrade which was successful.

I'm going to also have to check and see if I had used GitHub to get NodeBB to begin with, I can't remember if I did.

• how to remote start and keep running NodeBB

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@julian

yes, it seems only service could get to work.

the "forever start app.js" or "./nodebb start"

cannot work.

because before i've changed url , but it has same error message.

when i changed to use service and change the url, it works.

so maybe only the way of config service could use in centos?