A place to talk about whatever you want

3.8k Topics 23.1k Posts
  • NodeBB upgrades became worse since 0.7

0 Votes
    20 Posts
    4k Views
    S

@pichalite said:

Every time I do an upgrade it does not go well. There is always some kind of error even though I am following the upgrade process from the docs.

Same here. Haven't had one work yet, actually. Not since 0.3 I think.

• Upgrade help

0 Votes
    17 Posts
    4k Views
    tfraleyT

Thanks for all the help, as usual Nodebb support top notch

• Create / call a group is faulty

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    ogerlyO

So I've found the problem.
    on an online server of "mongodb-server" was installed.
    when I changed it into "mongodb-org-server" He has shown the groups.

So it could be because it is located on the MongoDB.

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    S

Is there a way to set the default daily digest settings for all current users and any future registered users for the site? The default seems to be off but, I would like to change that to weekly if it is possible.

Thanks!

• Infinite scrolling search

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    ?

Why is not implemented in the search for the infinite scrolling?
    https://community.nodebb.org/search/

• Anybody based out of CA?

1 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    BriB

I actually just read this article about how there's a strip club frequented by the local tech scene O_O ... for the food. (well, not JUST the food I guess)

And yes, there are between 7-10 coffee shops on my 1.5 mile walk to work, and a Blue Bottle and Philz just opened up on the same block as my building! XD

• Installing Nodebb On my server

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    A

@priyapinkyz No.

• One collection vs several collections

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    barisB

If you are only going to use mongodb definitely have multiple collections with indices that make sense. For example your users collection can have indices on username whereas your posts collection can have indices on content and userid etc.

Well, remember that NodeBB is firstly designed with redis in mind (a simple in-memory key/value store) so that might affect the document design decisions they made for their mongodb collection.

This is why we have one collection in our mongodb implementation. To make db.delete db.rename easy to implement. From the db perspective there is no difference between a post and user object they are both indexed by the _key field so finding them is easy. For sorting and querying we use sorted sets, they are implemented in mongo using indices on value and score.

if embedded documents in my collection persons is more efficient than saving them in the same collection with a different key.

I wouldn't suggest embedding lots of documents, mongodb has a document size limit of 16mb so it won't let you insert more users after some point.

• 5 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    KowlinK

Well, congratulations. NodeBB has come far and its only going to get better.

• language switcher

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    yariplusY

@noder said:

To be clear, i'm talking about localizing the navigation and the back-end (not the content) so non default language speakers will also be able to join and there will also be a section dedicated to English/other language speakers.

Ah, okay! That makes sense.

• nodebb 0.7.1 sensational

2 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    codejetC

I didn't think that Nodebb could be improved much more but once again I am surprised and enjoying !

Well done guys 👊

• nodebb localhost migrate online

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Thank you 🙂

• Upgrading NodeBB 0.7.1 Merge Conflicts?

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    S

@julian Thanks! everything is great now!

Upon npm i I received this at the end

npm ERR! npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in: npm ERR! /home/user/nodebb/npm-debug.log npm ERR! not ok code 0

Is that normal?

• JavaScript edge cases

1 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    R

Duh! Of course! That annoying ;-insertion. Nicely done!

semi: [2, "always"] 😉

• Idea: the minimum number of tags

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    yariplusY

@XenTerSeO

In core now. 👍

Thanks @baris for helping.

• how to get this?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    Blue-OrangeB

Thanks for your help

• How create a table

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

I don't know any way and it would surprise me if there was since it's an aim of Markdown to get rid of bad markup.
    What does justify text to be centered? Mostly you do this for some kind of header-text, use #, ##, etc. for this.
    Maybe you want to use it as some kind of footer, use --- (hr) for the separation.

Centered text is just meant for esthetic reasons but the text doesn't really have a justification for this, so Markdown doesn't support such usage in order to keep a clean standard.

If it's images you want to be aligned centered I can understand your sense of esthetic. But you still need the admins help to allow this (e.g. using this hack).

• Concept - Subtopics

2 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    agd1A

As another thought (and totally brainstorming here), what are the thoughts on a feature where when a user replies to a post they are given the option to reply in a forked thread? Very much like the "comment on comments" you see in mainstream social media.

UPDATE -- just found some older discussion on this, and was glad to see it!

• Help: alternative login - redirects

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    tfraleyT

@julian
    You are the man that did it.
    And thank you for the github refresher I will make sure to make notations for future updates..

• Problems with plugins update

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    K

Ah, ok.
    Thank you 😄