Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• Problem in Upgrade

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    C

Thanks. Works fine now.
    Could you please address this issue as well: https://community.nodebb.org/topic/12004/image-and-file-upload-not-showing-in-composer

• Custom favicon not being shown

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    XanthropX

Lodge this one under annoyances then for 1.7.x 😃 Glad I found this thread.

• Home Page theme

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    XanthropX

@PitaJ and @julian thank you so much!

• What's up with my header all the sudden???

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    1k Views
    ToddT

I don't even know how to view my current version... Looked in the admin panel and on ssh I type ./nodebb --version or version and nothin.

After that, I can establish whether I need any further upgrades or not but as it stands, I did a ./nodebb upgrade which was successful.

I'm going to also have to check and see if I had used GitHub to get NodeBB to begin with, I can't remember if I did.

• how to remote start and keep running NodeBB

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    C

@julian

yes, it seems only service could get to work.

the "forever start app.js" or "./nodebb start"

cannot work.

because before i've changed url , but it has same error message.

when i changed to use service and change the url, it works.

so maybe only the way of config service could use in centos?

• Markdown rowspan or colspan?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    PitaJP
    colspan `>` or `empty cell`: | a | b | |---|---| | > | 1 | | 2 ||

colspan > or empty cell:

a b > 1 2 rowspan `^`: | a | b | |---|---| | 1 | 2 | | ^ | 4 |

rowspan ^:

a b 1 2 ^ 4

Doesn't seem to work

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    1k Views
    K

@pitaj Ok, Thank you!

• Admin>extend>widgets giving error

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    C

Update: It was the custom wigets plugin causing the error.
    Solved.

• Export Posts From NodeBB > BuddyPress

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    M

@pitaj Thanks for replying Pita.

I did ask quite a while ago now, I will try and find my post later 🙂

I am not moaning in anyway, this software is free and it's been great to be honest.

I am not sure what's causing the issue exactly, when I download the o2Auth plugin and then also enable on my forum, both parts go offline.

I then have to FTP into my site and remove from both ends.

• Authentication Failed

0 Votes
    17 Posts
    3k Views
    ArkomaA

Fixed it. addresses didn't match. between my actual ip and the config.json file

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    kazariK

@chrisb said in How to add global background image? (Desktop and Mobile):

/* Smartphones */
    @media (min-width:320px) {
    body {
    font-family: "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
    color: #ffffff;
    background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0);
    }

html {
    background: url(https://9854.moe/assets/uploads/system/background.png) no-repeat center center fixed;
    background-size: cover;
    background-color: #000;
    }
    }

/* Desktop */
    @media (min-width:1281px) {
    body {
    font-family: "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
    color: #ffffff;
    background: url(https://9854.moe/assets/uploads/system/background.png) no-repeat center center fixed;
    -webkit-background-size: cover;
    -moz-background-size: cover;
    -o-background-size: cover;
    background-size: cover;
    }
    }

Thanks that worked! Didn't fix the issue in safari mobile but that seems to be a bit more complicated but it does work on other mobile browsers

• Cant setup or build on new Ubuntu 16.04 server

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    kazariK

@baris That seems to have solved it, Thanks a lot.

• Persona Mobile Menu Not Opening

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    fabianF

@mj
    I had the same problem and this trick still worked for me! Thanks 🙂

• Some questions

Unsolved
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    A

Hello, first of all I clarify that I am using the google translator. I apologize for that.

After some time of knowing this great forum system, I decided to explore in these totally new places for me. After spending many hours and days trying to understand its operation to install and then be able to use a domain with ssl certificates, I have many other questions that I will try to tell next:

A - From both trying things I do not know if I did other things and now have problems with the security of the site and the server. Some of the things I remember:
         1 - I added a non-root user.
         2 - Change the authentication of public keys (although I do not know how it works)
         3 - I activated (I think) the firewall
          What do you recommend me to do?
    B - After so much work with nginx and trying to understand the configuration steps, now entering through my IP address is impossible. Is this really like this?
    C - In this guide: https://docs.nodebb.org/configuring/proxies/nginx/
    What are the files that must be created and / or edited?

I hope you can understand me and help me.

Thanks so much for reading!

• Importing from Discourse to NodeBB

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    N

Hello all!

I've been recently looking into NodeBB and I'm now considering switching my current Discourse forum to NodeBB. Both are self hosted.

However, I haven't been able to figure out a way to do that successfully.
    I've tried using https://github.com/akhoury/nodebb-plugin-import and https://github.com/BenLubar/nodebb-plugin-import-discourse to no avail.

I'm not well versed in SQL (Postgre or Mongo), so the instructions on https://community.nodebb.org/topic/6818/switching-from-discourse/4 are a bit challenging - especially where you need to prefix all of the table names.

If you have the time to help a beginner, I'd be grateful!
    ntsc

• Nodebb in Kubernetes cluster

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

Unfortunately I have no experience with Kubernetes 😞

When the containers keep restarting, what do the container server logs say? Is NodeBB crashing?

• Synology + Docker

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    T

it works
    some help
    https://jingyan.baidu.com/article/219f4bf78465d3de442d38b6.html

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    J

It worked! Thanks!

• Google Analytics manual copy paste?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    julianJ

What was the npm issue?

You could try pasting it into a footer widget. That should work.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    PitaJP

@sebastian-marinescu alternatively you could set defaultPlugins as an environment variable, then run ./nodebb setup [config json]. I'll re-add an actual option for passing in a set of default plugins.