Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• A simple way to colorize nodebb?

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    PitaJP

@evgeniy-onegin like change the colors displayed in the UI? There are many NodeBB themes you can try. If you want to customize yourself you can use custom CSS in the ACP.

• Theme problem

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    Evgeniy OneginE

somehow decided lol. probably theme config was is wrong

• SMTPConnection._formatError

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    PitaJP

@kayrah none of that looks particularly wrong to me. Have you tried restarting nodebb between changes?

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    Evgeniy OneginE

I solved yet. Problem was in config.json 😄 Please give me rep I'm tired of waiting 300 seconds

• Integration like this

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    PitaJP

They used a custom theme and added the extra navigation items that way. You can already add custom nav menu items in the ACP.

• wtf xd

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    Evgeniy OneginE

127.0.0.1 in mongod.conf did not let run mongod ;d
    i replace it to localhost and restart mongod

• non-working keys in ubuntu installing docs

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    Evgeniy OneginE

thank you man but specify in the documentation that the keys can become obsolete for such as I xD although I took the key from here http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/ . I have some problems but more about this later

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    H

Admin > (SETTINGS) User > Default User Settings

0_1522515616060_0065BAAC-7326-484C-9B3E-9AFDC9FA6247.png

• Username length

Unsolved
    1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    H

Long usernames are generated when using SSO at registration (all good).

• topic template in nodebb

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    pritamsP

Anyone please give little bit of clue. How a topic works in nodebb?

• Moving a NodeBB mongo DB from one server to another.

Solved
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    J

@scuzz said in Moving a NodeBB mongo DB from one server to another.:

Once the database has been restored correctly you can run the NodeBB installer.

When it asks for the database you will just tell it the database name of the database you just restored.

This should then install NodeBB with your old database.

Yes, this has worked for me as well.

Making a backup of the nodebb database on the old server, for example:

mongodump -u nodebb -p [password] -d nodebb -o dump/nodebb-2018-03-30

Restoring the nodebb database from that backup, after copying it to the new server:

mongorestore -u nodebb -p [password] -d nodebb dump/nodebb-2018-03-30/nodebb/

And then installing NodeBB on the new server.

• Internal Error - Not authorized

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    PitaJP

@naifu yeah that means the mongodb permissions for the nodebb user aren't exactly what they should be. It's a non-fatal error but if you want to fix it you need to give the nodebb user the clusterMonitor role for the admin database:

$ mongo admin > db.grantRolesToUser('nodebb', [ { role: "clusterMonitor", db: "admin" } ])
  • NodeBB doesn't start anymore, bugged after update

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    Delcea AndreiD

I managed to solve it, reinstalled from scratch.

• error: [acp] Failed to fetch latest version

0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    PitaJP

@TLINDEN @Kayrah can you post or PM me your Site Title as set at ACP > Settings > General ? I'm thinking it could have something to do with it.

• No response from Mobile menu button

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    R

I am currently running v1.8.1 which I believe is the latest version? I will try you other solution once I get back to my home computer

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    K

@pitaj

Thanks, There is no solution if im not mistaken, because i have no firewall issue.

Everything was working fine until 10-15 min later of setup.

I am getting error on GCP VPS but im not getting on digitalocean VPS.

That is really odd.

• Installing on Digital Ocean

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    K

It is okay to see that package.json is there.

use this command npm install -g http-server@latest

or

npm init -y

and populate package.json file later with your taste.

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 1 Votes
    12 Posts
    3k Views
    R

@julian Thank you. I will try that out. ☺