The philosophy behind our plugin ecosystem

  • Global Moderator Plugin & Theme Dev

    @cytrax Facebook has PM? I thought they only had chat...

    I just made a quick search, and I don't think Facebook has PMs. They have chat (Facebook messenger), but not PMs as far I can can tell.

    My main concern with PMs and chat is that then there will be just one more way of communicating with people, and I think oversaturating the communication routes is bad for the software. I think a unified system would be best. JMHO

    If chats were plugosphered, you could implement it either way 🙂

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    @pitaj Facebook has chats and private messaging integrated into one. There are two interfaces but they all plug into the same backend.

    Facebook pushes the chat aspect, even going so far as hiding the ability to create new chats with someone you already chat with (fb will just open the same chat window then), but if you have a group convo, you'll see a new chat session made. That's what would be nice with NodeBB, I'd think


  • @pitaj said:

    @cytrax Facebook has PM? I thought they only had chat...

    I just made a quick search, and I don't think Facebook has PMs. They have chat (Facebook messenger), but not PMs as far I can can tell.

    My main concern with PMs and chat is that then there will be just one more way of communicating with people, and I think oversaturating the communication routes is bad for the software. I think a unified system would be best. JMHO

    If chats were plugosphered, you could implement it either way 🙂

    @julian said:

    @pitaj Facebook has chats and private messaging integrated into one. There are two interfaces but they all plug into the same backend.

    Facebook pushes the chat aspect, even going so far as hiding the ability to create new chats with someone you already chat with (fb will just open the same chat window then), but if you have a group convo, you'll see a new chat session made. That's what would be nice with NodeBB, I'd think

    Admittedly, I've been off facebook as user for over 3 years. But I still have an account that I use for the API. I've checked out what you both mean and you're absolutely correct that it is now part of a single system. That's definitely changed from years ago. I believe that revolution is related to when FB decided to ditch the isolating mailing system idea or could have been part of preparation to create a complete separate mailing system for @facebook.com. That didn't gain traction due to fears over privacy from users. But let's digress from there..

    I still think that a functional piece of forum is PM system. Just looking at Facebook's new integrated system, it is obvious that there are limitations. One, I can't choose to delete messages related to a thread in one shot. I have to hand select each message or simply completely remove the conversation. I don't see how scales when compared to threaded system.

    Maybe there is a way to still control it from single backend but enable threading? I dunno.

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    The thing I am afraid of is building out a feature that becomes too much like another existing feature.

    IMs are scarily close to "emails", what with the "one message at a time" method of communication, the automatic prepending of "Re:" when you reply... etc.

    ... and emails, I feel, are a bit outmoded, even if it's not going away any time soon.

    I will say I do like the Google Hangouts' way of managing conversations... similar to chat rooms.

    Granted, NodeBB's expanded chat system can be used in more of a "private message" way, no?

  • Community Rep

    A discussion about PMs, IMs, chat, email, etc. would be a great one to have at MangoLassi Day on Friday because most of the folks on there come from a background with some very intensive communities and have a lot of experience with what they've liked and disliked in real usage.

    I know that there are going to be a lot of people pestering you about "real time" email alerts too 🙂

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    @scottalanmiller Would you be happy to know we have that working here right now? :shipit: (enable it in the user settings!)

  • Community Rep

    Is that part of the 0.7.0 chain?

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    I believe it made it into 0.6.1, look for the option there. The second part
    of it, replying via email, currently is in development and testing via the
    mandrill plugin.

    In fact, I'm using it right now 😄

  • Community Rep

    We found it and everyone is jumping all over it 🙂


  • @scottalanmiller said:

    We found it and everyone is jumping all over it 🙂

    Screenshots?

    Are we talking about group chat in the forum interface or some kind of mailer?

Suggested Topics

| |