Hooking Up to Mail

• What's the normal or simple way to support mail for NodeBB? Am I supposed to install Postscript?

• Global Moderator

NodeBB had several ways to do email.

1. Emailer plugins

There are a few plugins like the MailChimp plugin which operate directly with various email providers.

1. SMTP transport

NodeBB has built-in support for SMTP, so you can use a Gmail account for instance to email your users.

1. Sendmail

NodeBB supports using sendmail on Linux to send emails. To do this you just turn off the SMTP transport and make sure no email plugins are enabled.

• @PitaJ, thanks for the response. Does NodeBB process incoming mail? If I have 'sendmail', how does each NodeBB instance become aware that there is mail for it?

• @PitaJ, if I use the SMTP support that is included in NodeBB, can I configure it to send the mail directly to the destination rather than via gmail or another intermediary?

Is there no manual section about mail? I couldn't find it.

Why isn't this a frequently posed question? Doesn't everyone who installs NodeBB have to connect it to outgoing and incoming mail?

• Global Moderator

Does NodeBB process incoming mail?

Some emailer plugins do. The built-in transports for sendmail or SMTP do not.

If I have 'sendmail', how does each NodeBB instance become aware that there is mail for it?

AFAIK, sendmail is a very simple utility that sends mail directly to the destination. It doesn't have the capability to receive mail like a proper email server such as postfix.

Note: NodeBB multi-instance setups only send mail from a single instance.

Is there no manual section about mail? I couldn't find it.

I'm not sure if there is, but the admin control panel makes it pretty easy to set up SMTP (and sendmail is the default transport when email is enabled). And emailer plugins are pretty much plug and play.

if I use the SMTP support that is included in NodeBB, can I configure it to send the mail directly to the destination rather than via gmail or another intermediary?

I don't think SMTP works that way, it requires an intermediary mail server. What you're talking about is exactly what sendmail does my default.

Why isn't this a frequently posed question? Doesn't everyone who installs NodeBB have to connect it to outgoing and incoming mail?

Most just do outgoing, I assume through built-in SMTP + a free email service like Gmail, or with sendmail.

Suggested Topics

| |