General Discussion

A place to talk about whatever you want

3.8k Topics 23.2k Posts
  • Problem with fresh install

0 Votes
    15 Posts
    4k Views
    X

Thank for the URL! Why i didn't think about it before...
    Yeah Websocket is not supported @ work, might be an old proxy running.

I found why this forum working and not mine : https.

So i've to host my forum on https@ssl

XaT

• Strange hang on iPad and Mobile

0 Votes
    17 Posts
    4k Views
    S

@a_5mith Eh I'll just use BrowserStack!

• Errors when installing a fresh NodeBB copy...

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    M

Could you post the full output from your terminal? That doesn't read as it should above. Everything from doing npm install downwards.

• Grabbing avatars from an external URL

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    A

@markkus Extending change picture inside profile to allow a URL would be a nice addition for this.

• Centering imgs?

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    P

you could enable HTML from the markdown ACP, although its not really recommended

• Read topics

1 Votes
    1 Posts
    R

I have only just started using nodeBB so I dont know if this is already in a hidden setting, but a feature I really like using in other forums is the ability to read upto a certain post in a thread, and then just be notified on new responses to that thread (having it take me to where I left off)
    At the moment the unread threads shows all new threads and not new posts to previously read threads

• How disable general local login strategy

0 Votes
    16 Posts
    8k Views
    A

Well, that was embarrassing, thanks @baris.

@julian, someone's got to test these sorts of things. 😆 All good now.

• Ayolan-Editor got his NobeBB Forum!

2 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Hmmm not really ^^

Ayolan MMORPG is my game project and Ayolan-Editor is an others projet to build game/map for all, free and online.

• The Magic of CSS

2 Votes
    1 Posts
    julianJ

Stumbled upon this on twitter this morning, learned a couple things already 🙂

http://adamschwartz.co/magic-of-css/

• Unique visitor stats

1 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    F

@frissdiegurke said:

It's pretty easy to increment the 'views' of a topic, by holding down F5 for about 3-4s I increased the views of this topic from 11 to 54

And by repeating the same for more than that time, the view count is now almost 400. Note, however, that if that is actually refreshing the page, it will get the perpetrator in trouble with Google, if the site is running Google ads.

• NodeBB exporter?

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

@Mruk perhaps I'm bring a little too optimistic/naive in hoping that all forum softwares could be exporting to a common format (and co-exist happily 😆), but even that comes with its own caveats, namely in that it'd only be able to support the lowest common denominator, so just posts, topics, and categories.

The Redis (or MongoDB) dump file would be the best resource for the data, though, yes...

• NodeBB log files

2 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    julianJ

@miksago Besides that, you should be good to go, please keep us apprised of your progress! 🙂

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    N

Opps, I had, but it turned out I was selecting the wrong database. 😛

• Site is not showing who's browsing

0 Votes
    10 Posts
    3k Views
    A

I can't actually watch/favourite, it gives me the "need to be logged in" error, but then redirects me to a 404. This forum doesn't have watch as a guest, but yours does, not sure if it's an ACP setting, but I don't recall seeing it. I've got a few bugs I've spotted whilst using my iPad that I'm going to put onto GitHub, but I'll do some more testing later into guest permissions.

Edit:sorry, when I said replying and voting are fine, I meant they don't redirect, I can't actually reply or vote. 😄 I need sleep.

• What framework do NodeBB use ?

0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    M

@julian hahaha, alrighty then 😛

• Multiple forums on one codebase

1 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

@lukelarris What you propose is definitely possible. We just haven't tried it.

Notes In app.js, we listen for a passed-in argument called config By default, it looks for a config.json present in the root directory If you ran NodeBB with ./nodebb start --config="/relative/or/absolute/path/to/another/config", it should correctly start NodeBB using the second config file. I don't know what would happen if you pointed --config to a non-existant file -- would NodeBB run through the setup script and save the new config? Beats me.

Let me know how you get on! 😄

• Multiple Instances

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    SurrealS

Alright, I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice!

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

@scottalanmiller Soon! Just letting the dust settle first 😄

• page has changed design by itself

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    R

thanks very much

• Julian Lam and NodeBB on Ghost Talk Podcast

1 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    eva2000E

Indeed interesting podcast and insight into NodeBB. Great that Ghost and NodeBB can learn from each other some stuff 🙂