Skip to content

General Discussion

A place to talk about whatever you want

3.8k Topics 23.2k Posts
  • 2 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Site isn't breaking a sweat even with the five fold bigger load than normal busy days. We are really impressed.

• Flipboard: 60fps on the mobile web

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

http://engineering.flipboard.com/2015/02/mobile-web/

This is really interesting and awesome. React is awesome, and this is awesome for React.
    The following is an except from the above article:

The DOM is too slow.

It’s not just slow, it’s really slow. If you touch the DOM in any way during an animation you’ve already blown through your 16ms frame budget.

Enter <canvas>

Most modern mobile devices have hardware-accelerated canvas, so why couldn’t we take advantage of this? HTML5 games certainly do. But could we really develop an application user interface in canvas?

• How to change /category/ to /channel/?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

As it currently stands, category is hard coded into NodeBB. It will require a lot of work to make the paths custom, but it is a planned feature. So, you will either have to just not change the path or get somebody to change all of the hard coded areas that need to be notified in the site code.

• 0 Votes
    13 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

If it was a patch upgrade (that is, only the right-hand-most digit changed: 0.6.0 -> 0.6.1), then you should be safe from broken plugins, as all changes are backwards compatible.

The real fun stuff happens when we go from 0.6.x to 0.7.x 👿

Edit: I jest. 0.5.x to 0.6.x was harder than we expected, since we changed the static:app.init hook, which practically every plugin uses.

0.7.x has comparatively fewer breaking changes, but it is a long way out yet... :shipit:

• Any idea?

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    2k Views
    C

Yes sorry i just meant was wondering why it was popping up, the plugins still work. I'll just wait 😄

• 0 Votes
    16 Posts
    8k Views
    barisB

That's an unrelated bug check here https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/2711

• Installation of NodeBB ABORTED

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    S

@a_5mith said:

@So-Confused Don't use the dev version, it's not guaranteed as stable.

Follow this guide for Ubuntu. It's more up to date. Include v0.6.x in your git pull as per the instructions.

Awesome, I got it set up. Thanks!

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    1 Posts
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

@Scuzz Depending on the package distributor's default setting, but yes, it should default to a sensible localhost access only.

Redis is the same -- Ubuntu binds to localhost only, whereas if compiled from source, will listen on all interfaces, which is... erm... not as good.

• 1 Votes
    1 Posts
    Byung Suk JangB

Question: Can each topic have cover image to look topic list page like image gallery?

I'm not sure if I explained properly but I really wanna use this feature.
    I think it's possible but I'm not sure if I can do this by myself lol

What I'm saying is that it's normally list of topic subject Text Only when you click any forum categories.
    But it will be much better if topic list showing with each topic cover image(preview image), for example, for viral photo categories.
    Just like pinterest grid layout.

Can I know if this feature is easy to implement?
    And can anyone possibly show this feature if already using on your forum?

Also looking for developers who can help me forum modifications.

• Node.js v0.12 released.

1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

I think NodeBB works on io.js as well, although I ran into some socket.io issues... not sure if that was related or not, though.

Nice to hear node 0.12 is finally released 😄

• 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    julianJ

If this is spam, why are we keeping it around 😆

Just to troll the video I suppose?

• Using NodeBB with custom SQL User database?

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    MegaM

If I understand you correct, you don't want to convert your database, but want NodeBB to work with users, that still will be in your existing database (MS-SQL).
    It's possible, by creating your own database driver for NodeBB.
    But, actually, it's not so easy. If you don't have high skill in programming, it's near to impossible.

@livefromheaven said:

has anyone run NodeBB using a custom SQL user database like this?

Maybe, but I never heard about it. You could try to wait for the NodeBB core developers. They, probably, know something, that may helps you.

• Set fixed width to default on toggle

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    M

@baris Thanks for the help! I had no idea it was that simple. I am glad you like the theme!

• 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    MegaM

related https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/2695

• openshift deployment

1 Votes
    17 Posts
    8k Views
    T

The guide has been updated since last we read it.
    Apparently the caveat was to set the bind_address (I'm pretty sure I tried it but only with 0.0.0.)

Link Preview Image nodebb-english/installing/cloud/openshift.rst at master · NodeBB/nodebb-english

English documentation for NodeBB. Contribute to NodeBB/nodebb-english development by creating an account on GitHub.

favicon

GitHub (github.com)

No need for hacks!

• MongoDB 3.0

2 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    S

Awesome, looking forward to that. Even more performance from the current architecture!! Love to see that. Although even now, the site screams.

• Skins Tab

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    frissdiegurkeF

those are the bootswatch-themes applied over the theme.
    but since bootswatch-themes mainly overwrite bootstrap-variables it gets overwritten again by any theme other than vanilla.

I don't think this order is intended since I'd apply the bootswatch-variables after the theme-styles therefor it's in the admins control. But maybe the devs thought that the theme-developers shouldn't overwrite skin-able variables...

Also (currently?) not working: @julian @baris @psychobunny

hide "revert skin" from themes-list when no skin is applied theme-change (to vanilla) after selecting skin doesn't persist skin no indicator which skin is selected as of runtime less-compilation the alert to restart NodeBB after skin-selection isn't necessary, is it?
  • Nodebb constantly restarting!

0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    TaLocheT

Bloody hell! I took out the recent replies option on the category causing trouble. I changed it from 2 to 0 and that solved the issue. I was able to activate the category again and everything is back to normal.

I'm guessing the poll was bothering the preview on the homepage.

• Keeping the stack alive

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    L

Well.. For the nodebb application himself you could use "forever" .... but when it turned 5x i stopped using forever (@julian posted somewhere that nodebb application can do the forever job himself)

for the database.. well.. dont monitor it YET cz the volume of my transactions is low...

But any service monitor application could do it.. like nagios ...or newrelic