Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• 0 Votes
    14 Posts
    8k Views
    M

What I did was, I installed the lobby app. Some feature are working but most them are not. Like when I tried to change the app setting in admin configuration, I got this Error.

orbiddenError: invalid csrf token
    at verifytoken (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/csurf/index.js:269:11)
    at Object.csrf [as handle] (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/csurf/index.js:97:7)
    at next (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/proto.js:174:15)
    at methodOverride (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/method-override/index.js:79:5)
    at /home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/methodOverride.js:41:7
    at methodOverride (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/method-override/index.js:79:5)
    at Object.handle (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/methodOverride.js:39:5)
    at next (/home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/proto.js:174:15)
    at /home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/node_modules/express-session/index.js:433:7
    at /home/maycel.casilag/Lobby-App-master/sqlite-store.js:65:15

Please help me because I'm stuck.

Thank You!
    POST /docusign_test 403 19.811 ms - -

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    W

solved 🙂

found the solution with the help of this post:
    https://community.nodebb.org/topic/7046/nodebb-with-apache2-proxy/5

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    BriB

There's some information on debugging in the docs.nodebb.org portal

• Limit domain name used in registration

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    W

Hello, Is there anyway to limit the domian name used to register (email). I tried adding a pattern to the registration template (register.tpl) but it didnt help:

pattern="[\w.%+-][email protected]"

Thanks,

• Remove category image

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    W

Never mind.. when i went back into change something in the category the remove image button showed up 🙂

• User Account Settings Only Working in Chrome

0 Votes
    20 Posts
    5k Views
    P

I just recently upgraded my forum to version 0.9.0 and have the same issue.
    Firefox shows no Settings menu, additionally the user name is not only halfway under the profile picture, but also rendered in white so that it is not shown.
    0_1447946225848_bug.png

When selecting a custom skin the hamburger button appears in the area marked with the top left red circle.
    This could at least help as a workaround for users experiencing the problem.

Edit: I realised from the github discussion that this should be fixed in the current persona master.
    I'll wait for 0.9.1 then.

• 1 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    Michael Joseph AubryM

@baris Holy shit it actually worked but I dont see it in the console.log?

• Avatars all broken since 0.9.0 upgrade?

1 Votes
    5 Posts
    2k Views
    E

@julian said:

@ExperienceOz Are you using a custom theme or fork of a theme? That may explain the user icons not working.

I notice you have gravatar forced on at the moment, so I can't test user icons.

Thanks @julian , yes ended up forcing Gravatar as a stopgap just so something appears rather than broken image links. We are just using Lavender that has a few CSS modifications to it but nothing that should affect core functionality.

They were working fine before the latest update is all. Would you like me to deactivate Gravatar temporarily so that you can have a look?

Appreciate the help.

• NodeBB With Apache2, Proxy

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    jbobJ

@mttprvst13 It probably failed because you don't have mod_rewrite enabled.

Do

a2enmod rewrite systemctl restart apache2
  • Cannot install nodebb on Cloud9

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    kacemlightK

I cannot install nodebb on c9. Can someone help me ?

I got this after "bash: nada-nix: command not found" after this command
    nada-nix install redis.

• Object #<Object> has no method 'indexOf'

0 Votes
    18 Posts
    5k Views
    L

@Leonardo-Galani YEP... avatar removed.. and post now working fine...

• How can websockets support be disabled?

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

Also, long polling should not be consuming your CPU 100%. It sounds like something else is going on.

• 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    R

@JaredBusch said:

A quick firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=4567/tcp --permanent and firewall-cmd --reload later
    And there we go.
    img

Thanks @rbeer for the information about nodejs versions. I did not see the indicator that you did obviously.

Very nice! Glad to see it working now. 👍
    And, don't you worry! I was tearing my hair out for about an hour, when I stumbled upon that error some weeks ago. 🙂

• Steam SSO Plugin problem

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    F

Still need help, it could be awesome if the plugin could do something like discourse does https://github.com/defaye/discourse-steam-login

• 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    kacemlightK

After uptgarding (reinstallation) of nodebb, this plugins return error and don't work at all.
    After app starting, I got this warn message:

7/11 12:20 [31705] - warn: [meta/dependencies] Bundled plugin nodebb-plugin-dbsearch not found, skipping dependency check.
    17/11 12:21 [31705] - warn: [plugins/nodebb-plugin-sso-github] Hook filter:user.delete is deprecated, please use an alternative
    17/11 12:21 [31705] - warn: [plugins/nodebb-plugin-sso-google] Hook filter:user.delete is deprecated, please use an alternative
    17/11 12:21 [31705] - warn: [plugins/nodebb-plugin-sso-twitter] Hook filter:user.delete is deprecated, please use an alternative

17/11 12:21 [31705] - warn: [plugins/load] The following plugins may not be compatible with your version of NodeBB. This may cause unintended behaviour or crashing. In the event of an unresponsive NodeBB caused by this plugin, run ./nodebb reset -p PLUGINNAME to disable it.

nodebb-plugin-imgur nodebb-plugin-sso-facebook nodebb-plugin-sso-github nodebb-plugin-sso-google nodebb-plugin-sso-twitter nodebb-plugin-composer-redactor nodebb-plugin-custom-pages nodebb-plugin-desktop-notifications nodebb-plugin-rss nodebb-plugin-youtube

17/11 12:21 [31705] - info: [User-Invitations] Initializing User-Invitations...
    17/11 12:21 [31705] - info: [plugins/spam-be-gone] Settings loaded
    17/11 12:21 [31705] - info: [User-Invitations] Synced settings: defaultInvitations=10, restrictRegistration=0, invitedUsers=[], inviteGroup=registered-users
    17/11 12:21 [31705] - warn: [plugin/composer-redactor] Another composer plugin is active! Please disable all other composers.
    17/11 12:21 [31705] - info: NodeBB Ready
    17/11 12:21 [31705] - info: NodeBB is now listening on: 0.0.0.0:4567

list itemWhen I try to login with Facebook, I got:
    L’URL fournie n’est pas autorisée par la configuration de l’application.: Une ou plusieurs URL fournies ne sont pas autorisées par les paramètres de l’application. Elle(s) doi(ven)t correspondre à l’URL du site ou du Canevas, ou le domaine doit être un sous-domaine de l’un des domaines de l’application.

With googleplus:
    list item400. That’s an error.
    Error: redirect_uri_mismatch

list itemWith twitter and github I get the same Error.

With the ancien version of nodebb, all this sso login worked fine.

Please can somone help me to resolve this problem ??

• 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    P

@julian have you ever used copyDatabase with an already existing destination? For me it just fails with

"errmsg": "failed to create collection "nodebb_testing.sessions": collection already exists"

which sounds as if it would expect an empty database or at least one without duplicate collections.
    If this won't work I doubt that there is a readymade command to help me achieve my goal.

• Cannot install with MongoDB on Windows 10

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    M

I'm in! I was taking the default database name of 0 instead of entering my database name. Doh!

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    J

Oh look right there in the manual that I stopped reading after the GUI was up...

404 Not Found

favicon

(docs.nodebb.org)

• Unregistred user can't see picture in topics

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    2k Views
    B

Right it's fixed 🙂
    Thx.

• 0.9 Upgrade command failed

0 Votes
    25 Posts
    8k Views
    julianJ

The way npm handles peer dependencies left much to be desired, especially in a development landscape like ours where versions go up regularly and different rates compared to plugins.

Specifically, if a module A required a peer dependency B with a fairly strict version (e.g. ~0.15.0), then if that dependency got updated to v0.16.0 or above, then any future attempts to install module A would throw a peer dependency error and abort the npm installation, leaving NodeBB in a state that would not run. That's not so good for non-developers 😄