Skip to content

Technical Support

Need help with installing or configuring NodeBB? Look here.

4.7k Topics 26.2k Posts

Subcategories

• User documentation for NodeBB

44 Topics
    44 Posts
    Jay MoonahJ

One of the first important things to do after setting up NodeBB is to set up an emailer plugin. While NodeBB does include a local emailer, if your forum is particularly active we recommend using an third-party emailer such as SendGrid which provides better deliverability for sites that send a high volume of email. Setting up SendGrid in NodeBB is very easy.

Open the administrative dashboard using the 'gear' icon on your forum. Open the Extend > Plugins menu, and select the Find Plugins tab. Use the search on the right. Type 'SendGrid' and the plugin should appear -- select Install when you see it. From Installed tab on the Plugins menu, search again for 'SendGrid' and select Activate. Activating the plugin will require a restart of your forum. To restart, select the Dashboard menu and press the Restart button to the right. After NodeBB restarts, the SendGrid plugin will be active.

After you restart, there should be a item called Emailer (SendGrid) under the Plugins menu -- if you don't see this right away, try refreshing your browser.

Go to the SendGrid website, open the pricing page and scroll to the bottom. Click on the link and create your free account. Once you've confirmed your SendGrid account via email, you should be able to login to the SendGrid website. On the left side of your SendGrid dashboard, open Settings and click on API Keys. Click the button in the top right to create a new key. Make sure that the key has Full Access for Send Mail and Alerts.  When you are done, the new key to your clipboard.

Now, return to the SendGrid menu on your NodeBB admin panel. Paste the API key into the field, and save your changes. Now go back to the Dashboard to restart your forum one more time.

SendGrid should now be working for your forum.

YouTube Setting up SendGrid mailer for NodeBB

• NodeBB guides, how-to's and general tips and tricks

82 Topics
    599 Posts
    barisB

Quick start plugin has an example on how to add a new api route https://github.com/NodeBB/nodebb-plugin-quickstart/blob/master/library.js#L40-L76.

The hooks that are fired client side are for client side code in plugins. If you want to pass data from the client to the server you have two options.

Create an api route like in quick start plugin Create a new socket event listener on the server side and use socket.emit() client side. Example here
  • 25 Topics
    201 Posts
    eeeeeE

I think you answered my point, by agreeing there are issues.
    I didn't even attempt to deploy nodebb, I had problems with much smaller projects!
    Nextjs routing was going through a change of design at the time, so perhaps that is less confusing now, but there were multiple other headaches. I would get build errors and issues with package management.

• 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    julianJ

We do throttle the confirmation emails, but when you switch your email, you are automatically sent another confirmation email, so that's why you can't send it again manually... I remember someone made an issue about this recently too.

• Need help with center text or images

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    CygnusC

Hello,

I know there are a couple of threads talking about this, but none of them seems to work or fix the problem.

I think this kind of text tools are important.

Any actual plugin to do this?

Thanks!

• forum header dimensions

0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    yariplusY

You should make it 50px, and vertically center the text in the image.

• User registration - Add a couple options?

0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    P

Hi all,

We are going to be using NodeBB for our company user group. My supervisor has asked if during the user registration if we can ask for a couple of more fields. Specifically we want to know either the company or institution the user is with and also an instrument serial number.

What would be the process to get these added to our user database?

Thanks!

• Windows Server 2012 Problem (AGAIN)

0 Votes
    33 Posts
    15k Views
    J

You can never be sure 👼 I hope it gets fixed soon to ensure future windows compatability 🙂

• How to reset the navigation on ACL

0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    agusputraA

@baris thanks

• Tracking composer not opening

0 Votes
    19 Posts
    4k Views
    E

@baris said in Tracking composer not opening:

This is likely caused by https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/4978

I sent a PR to the ns-spoiler plugin that should fix the issue for now.

all right , check this please
    https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB/issues/4964#issuecomment-242585842

• Local emailer on 1.1.2

0 Votes
    18 Posts
    5k Views
    julianJ

Hi @BuZz

For sendmail, on our own servers, we run the following commands:

echo "PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH" >> ~/.profile

and

echo "127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain $INSTANCE_ID" >> /etc/hosts

You can see the reasoning behind the latter here: https://brianhogg.com/how-to-fix-slow-sendmail-on-a-digital-ocean-ubuntu-droplet/

• Problems updating 1.1.0 to 1.1.2

Solved
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    1k Views
    RantahuR

@pichalite thanks

• mobile chat problem (it does not open)

0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@PitaJ Thank you, man.

• Nodebb dont work

0 Votes
    17 Posts
    5k Views
    Master-AntonioM

@PitaJ Yes i wrote in 2 post first of this.

I installed version 1.1.0 but when im logged , the site was again freezed. For this i deleted dump.rdb from redis folder and i redid "./nodebb setup" to re-create the database. After i tried to re-create the bug, for this i uploaded the same "Image/Logo" and change "Site Title" . But no problems.
    Now seems work all perfecly.

There is a urgent bug in 1.1.2 . I think that there is a bug in the database.
    I noticed that at the beginning , before of the bug in 1.1.2 , the cover of profile didn't worked, the users upload the image , but was invisible "all white". Worked only the avatar.
    In 1.1.0 this bug there isn't and at the beginning , the cover of profile worked.
    There is something broken in 1.1.2 .....

• Frontend freeze on version later than v1.0.2

1 Votes
    57 Posts
    21k Views
    JenklerJ

I am running 1.1.2 now with mongo DB 2.6 in Docker. No freeze at all.

• 1 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    PitaJP

@spicewiesel this is most likely a plugin conflict. Try resetting your plugins and activating them one by one.

• 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    P

@Thadeusz-Lay coz they may not want to use your theme. Making it a plugin will enable anyone to use it with any theme. If you want to keep things simple and don't want to publish your theme with custom fields, then you can add the fields in the theme.

• Protect whole site with login?

0 Votes
    12 Posts
    4k Views
    C

ive done something like this, change the links in navigation to require to be logged in. only link i have on my main forum, is the login link, everythign else is taken away

• install on wp site

0 Votes
    22 Posts
    8k Views
    absurdsmashA

@yariplus Thanks for the help, but I guess it was not the solution. Thanks anyway, im going to try again

• Able to see " Register ", " Login "

0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    meetdilipM

The issue got fixed by itself now

• 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    1k Views
    julianJ

@matti Err... I'm not quite sure whether that is possible. What values have you tried?

• This topic is deleted!

0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
  • Conditional template possible

Moved
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    Bruce LeeB

@yariplus and @jarey, thanks I got your points.

haha I was looking for shortcut. I just read on this templates.js, it seem powerful, so I was looking around for more examples to see how far it can go.

With jquery, I can listen to the change in the <select> and render the fields accordingly.