Composer lagging

• @pichalite said in Composer lagging:

@teh_g that's the problem right there... npm v3 installs dependencies in the root node_modules directory. Composer is looking for the file in it's own node_modules directory.

Should I roll back to Node.js 4.x?

• Plugin & Theme Dev

@teh_g blame @pitaj for making you upgrade node.js coz he wrote his calendar plugin with ES6 features even though NodeBB itself doesn't support ES6 yet. 😄

I guess so unless there is an alternative.

• @pichalite said in Composer lagging:

@teh_g blame @pitaj for making you upgrade node.js coz he wrote his calendar plugin with ES6 features even though NodeBB itself doesn't support ES6 yet. 😄

I guess so unless there is an alternative.

I used n to set the LTS release as my node version.

$ npm -v
    $ node -v
    v4.4.7

I am still seeing the same error. I did an npm rb, but the issue continues. I am still not seeing the screenfull dependency in the Composer folder.

• OK. So I ended up going the wrecking ball route. I moved the existing ./node_modules folder to a backup location, then ran the npm install --production command. This rebuilt the node_modules folder for me with the proper dependencies.

I do think a warning should be added to the documentation for which versions of node and npm are supported.

• Anime Lovers

Same error. 😞

• Since some others are running into this, here are the full steps I took to resolve this.

Determining if this will fix your issue

• The following error appears in the browser console:
      Uncaught ReferenceError: screenfull is not defined
    • The following error appears in the NodeBB log:
      [minifier] file not found, node_modules/nodebb-plugin-composer-default/node_modules/screenfull/dist/screenfull.js
    • The path /path/to/forums/node_modules/nodebb-plugin-composer-default/node_modules/ does not exist
    • You are running a more recent version of Node.js (only confirmed this occurs on v6.3.1)
    • You are running a more recent version of npm (only confirmed this occurs on v3.10.3

Why is this an issue
    @pichalite pointed this out here:

npm v3 installs dependencies in the root node_modules directory. Composer is looking for the file in it's own node_modules directory.

How do I fix it?!

• I could not find a "good" method to fix this. So here is what I ended up doing:
    # Roll back to the LTS version of Node.js and npm
    sudo n LTS

# Confirm that you are on the proper Node.js version (as of writing this is LTS)
    $ node --version
    v4.4.7
    $ npm -v

# Stop the forums
    <whichever method you normally use>

# Manually make note of any installed plugins
    # Move the node_modules folder to a backup location
    cd /path/to/forums
    mv ./node_modules ./node_modules_backup

# Re-install the NodeBB dependencies
    npm install --production

# Confirm NodeBB upgrade for any additional dependencies (probably not required)
    ./nodebb upgrade

# Install any plugins via npm (can be done manually in the UI as well)
    # Start the forums

• Global Moderator

@teh_g or you just not downgrade everything and instead just install screenful directly into the composer directory:

cd node_modules/nodebb_plugin_composer
    npm i screenful

That should install screenful in node_modules/nodebb_plugin_composer/node_modules/screenful

Edit: you could also try just downgrading to npm@2 and uninstalling, then reinstalling the composer:

npm i -g npm@2
    npm remove nodebb-plugin-composer screenful
    npm i nodebb-plugin-composer

• @PitaJ said in Composer lagging:

@teh_g or you just not downgrade everything and instead just install screenful directly into the composer directory:

cd node_modules/nodebb_plugin_composer
    npm i screenful

That should install screenful in node_modules/nodebb_plugin_composer/node_modules/screenful

Edit: you could also try just downgrading to npm@2 and uninstalling, then reinstalling the composer:

npm i -g npm@2
    npm remove nodebb-plugin-composer screenful
    npm i nodebb-plugin-composer

Your way definitely sounds easier. I already did the downgrade. It was relatively easy 😄

Suggested Topics

| |