In page Composer, is it possible?


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    hi, this is just my opinion and the feedback i got from 5k users.

    after 7 months using nodebb I'm disgusted with the experience of the composer in mobile, both Android and iOS, the popup editor is not working at all, it's very random, without MultiQuote and the inability to navigate on quotes with many lines or large paragraphs. Creating new topics from zero works fine but forum are about discussion, quoting,etc.
    Although once you install it may seem to work well, we all know that we will use a dozen of plugins like emoji, canned responses, Imgur, etc, and the editor will be filled of them at the top, once you reach 2-3 lines it starts to work even worse.
    On desktop I think it works quite well but definitely on the phone all the benefits of nodebb are killed with a non smooth composer. on tablets is quite similar.
    we all know that the world moves today on mobile and one of the slogans of nodebb is first on mobile, then, why not go a step further?
    I know developers making big efforts taking out from core and new things like redactor but for me its not about the markdown but the design of it. the hover thingy is difficult to fit on all browsers and mobiles nowadays.
    So now I´m asking all comunnity developers, i know before you get the composer open node ask to server for it and you wait for the response, so it is technically possible to make a version of the composer with "in page" design for mobile ( no popup ) or give the possibility to have it or not?
    What you think about it?

    @julian @psychobunny @baris
    thank you if you reached till here



  • If only there were some kind of plugin in development for WYSIWYG.

    Friends, admins, plugin devs, bring me your features and pull requests XOXO


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @drew said:

    If only there were some kind of plugin in development for WYSIWYG.

    Gee, that'd be swell.
    a

    Friends, admins, plugin devs, bring me your features and pull requests XOXO

    as i wrote, for me is not about markdown or WYSIWYG
    redactor is cool tho


  • GNU/Linux

    I think at least the (user-decidable, admin-default-able) option for in-page composer (options for both mobile/non-mobile separately) would be great.
    Not sure if I'd use either, since I'm kind-of retro when it comes to mobiles, but understandable concern.

    It must be said thought that mobile devices make the life hard for devs xD For example they don't provide handheld similar media-restrictions for style-tags.
    But since javascript is no problem here you get my +1.


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @frissdiegurke said:

    I think at least the (user-decidable, admin-default-able) option for in-page composer (options for both mobile/non-mobile separately) would be great.
    Not sure if I'd use either, since I'm kind-of retro when it comes to mobiles, but understandable concern.

    It must be said thought that mobile devices make the life hard for devs xD For example they don't provide handheld similar media-restrictions for style-tags.
    But since javascript is no problem here you get my +1.

    yes, i think so, mobile makes life harder a lot
    thank you for your tips


  • Admin

    I'm not going to lie, an "in-page composer" was something we debated implementing a long time ago.

    At that time, the composer was still a baked-in part of NodeBB, so it was down to choosing one or the other, and a separate composer (w/ taskbar integration) won over the in-page composer.

    But now that the composer is separated from core, this is a possibility once again, done through a plugin.


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @julian said:

    I'm not going to lie, an "in-page composer" was something we debated implementing a long time ago.

    At that time, the composer was still a baked-in part of NodeBB, so it was down to choosing one or the other, and a separate composer (w/ taskbar integration) won over the in-page composer.

    But now that the composer is separated from core, this is a possibility once again, done through a plugin.

    thank you for the response
    in case someone do it as a plugin will be nice but i think the defaults one need some love too

    some test video, here at the community and on this topic, homemade, sorry for video quality

    iphone 5S, google chrome, no way to edit cause full text not showing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gggdH9G0Xrs

    iphone 5S, safari, quoting ok but no way to search full text after a few tries

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjVp6rMKz0

    ipad air, safari, flickering on first tick, then madness can happen, this one lets you move around the quoted text though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvKxMPo34Nw

    It is not a criticism because I love nodeBB but should be a priority to write well in a forum


  • Admin

    Just to let you know, I do realize that the mobile composer can be better. Been a bit busy with other stuff the past month or so but it's definitely on my TODO list. Just in case you were worried that we were actually happy with what we have right now and have no plans to improve it :)


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @psychobunny said:

    Just to let you know, I do realize that the mobile composer can be better. Been a bit busy with other stuff the past month or so but it's definitely on my TODO list. Just in case you were worried that we were actually happy with what we have right now and have no plans to improve it :)

    good to hear plans about it


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @psychobunny said:

    Just to let you know, I do realize that the mobile composer can be better. Been a bit busy with other stuff the past month or so but it's definitely on my TODO list. Just in case you were worried that we were actually happy with what we have right now and have no plans to improve it :)

    bumping this. 3 months passed and the experience on ios is even worse with composer flickering here and there
    and i,m wondering...
    Will this fixed composer come on 1.0 launch?


  • Global Moderator

    @exodo I've been working on composer improvements. Sadly, debugging on iOS is really hard for me because

    1. I have no iOS device
    2. There's no profiler or JS console

    Anyways, I'd suggest upgrading to nodebb-plugin-composer-default@1.0.24 and seeing how that works for you.


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @PitaJ said:

    @exodo I've been working on composer improvements. Sadly, debugging on iOS is really hard for me because

    1. I have no iOS device
    2. There's no profiler or JS console

    Anyways, I'd suggest upgrading to nodebb-plugin-composer-default@1.0.24 and seeing how that works for you.

    I use last one on 0.9.1, i think it uses that version. anyways all my test are always on this community
    I can post a new video

    I use last one on 0.9.1 on my local or here in community
    Didnt make a difference from the past versions

    Things like this happen everytime

    0_1448799608824_image.png

    And long text post are impossible to manage, cant move text, sometimes you get stuck and cant see what you typing etc

    If I try to edit a post cant edit first lines cause i cant reach them thats why this posts have a repeating intro hehe

    Iphone 5s ios 9.1


  • Global Moderator

    @exodo I have no way of knowing what is causing that bug, but I'm pretty sure this community isn't on the latest composer.


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @PitaJ said:

    @exodo I have no way of knowing what is causing that bug, but I'm pretty sure this community isn't on the latest composer.

    I have last 1.0.24 on my dev node and it has same problems



  • any update on the plans for improvements in mobie composer UX ?


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @gingerman said:

    any update on the plans for improvements in mobie rcomposer UX ?

    +1


  • Admin

    @gingerman What's wrong with mobile composer UX? :laughing:

    @exodo Redactor published today, plus updated autosize dependency (a couple weeks ago), so perhaps better on iOS now?


  • Plugin & Theme Dev

    @julian said:

    @gingerman What's wrong with mobile composer UX? :laughing:

    @exodo Redactor published today, plus updated autosize dependency (a couple weeks ago), so perhaps better on iOS now?

    never used redactor on production cause it lacks many funcionts from composer.
    This thread was about composer default. it works bad on ios not really big improvements



  • In mobile, if you write a longer post than the screen size, you can't move up or down to edit. For example, on my Samsung A3, you can't highlight text outwith what's viewable on screen, or even move your text input area to find text that's not there.

    For short posts it's fine, for longer it's better to type on the memo or notes app then copy/paste it in.

    That's using both default composer now on 1.0.2 and Redactor when we had it installed pre-1.x.x


  • Admin

    @Danny-McWilliams Thanks for the report... we use this library, though I'm not sure if you can reproduce it on that textarea in that site.

    I was hoping us upgrading to the latest version of that lib would help, but it seems like it's still not working as well with that phone you have.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.