• My beautiful 27" iMac died today ;(;-(;=( 2 years 11 months 25 days after buying it ๐Ÿ˜ž
    I do have apple care though (happy) so it is being collected tomorrow and should be back home within 5-7 days, so no gaming until my baby returns ;(;-(;=(

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    Glad you have Apple Care, I guess! Perhaps if it had been one more month it wouldn't be covered anymore ๐Ÿ˜„


  • @julian said:

    Glad you have Apple Care, I guess! Perhaps if it had been one more month it wouldn't be covered anymore ๐Ÿ˜„

    Not as glad as I am Julian, not sure what has failed yet but it was lucky it failed today as there is only 7 days of apple care left!!

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    Haha that's the thing with Apple... I like building my own computers, so when something dies, I can just replace that part, no muss no fuss.


  • I used to build pc's myself but got fed up with windows issues, final straw was on my work pc I had major problems so bit the bullet and splashed the cash on the imac and up to now no problems, never missed a beat in nearly three years so no complaints really just a bit inconvenient.
    I am in the process of building a gaming rig atm got the case454212-410547-290.jpg
    just a question of costing up for the spec I want for the price I want which is always the hard part.


  • I love building my own rig but I always cheap out on some stuff. Case being one. The one I got now is as basic as it gets but it was only $10. I put money into things that matter for performance like video card, mobo/cpu, ram, and psu. Now that I think about it, everything but the case. ๐Ÿ˜› One of the biggest bottle necks I have is sound as it is on board. Any recommendations?

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    LOL cheap out on the case? I'd rather pay enough to get a case with finished metalwork, otherwise you're liable to cut up your hands.

    Remember back when we used to use 4-pin molex connectors for power? One yank and you'd bang your hand against the other side of the case. :S

    I cheap out on memory, thank you very much ๐Ÿ˜„


  • I choose the Fractal R4 because my computing is in the living room so noise is a big concern, so everything else will be chosen first on gaming spec then compromised for noise and then cost.


  • you are lucky, mine did 3 year 2 months with power supply down. Even with apple care, i still pay about around 300USD for the power supply repair.


  • @quahfamili said:

    you are lucky, mine did 3 year 2 months with power supply down. Even with apple care, i still pay about around 300USD for the power supply repair.

    Ouch that must have hurt!!!


  • Well, I m not willing to give up on the 27" inch hence sent it in for servicing. haha

    Oh well, i m still thinking if i should get another apple care for my MBP zz

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    See, that's what kills me about Macs!! If my PSU died, I'd spend $60 to buy a decent replacement, and replace it myself...


  • You can service more than realized with Macs.. part of it is having the tools and balls to do it.

    They wanted $225 to replace my iPad the baby threw down on a concrete floor and shattered. Ordered the parts and tools through Amazon for like $75 and did it myself one night in like 90 minutes after everyone went to sleep.

    Sure my 27" iMac is a lot more work to take apart.. but once Applecare is done it's about getting a price quote from them, then comparing the DIY route.. No, not as easy as taking apart a typical Antec case for a PC or whatever but after doing that for 10-20 years I'm tired of constantly meddling.

    Only upgrade I've done in 2-3 years is going to 16GB of RAM. Opposed to a PC where I'd be jonesing for video cards and CPUs like a crackhead every 3-6 months ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad to have shaken that addiction!!

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    @OutlawedOffroad said:

    Opposed to a PC where I'd be jonesing for video cards and CPUs like a crackhead every 3-6 months Glad to have shaken that addiction!!

    Oh boy, I'm definitely guilty of that! Every couple months I have that "gotta buy something" impulse. :S


  • Just realized I've sent the mac off with the extra 16gb of ram still it (doh) only came with 8gb.


  • @OutlawedOffroad said:

    You can service more than realized with Macs.. part of it is having the tools and balls to do it.

    Sure my 27" iMac is a lot more work to take apart.. but once Applecare is done it's about getting a price quote from them, then comparing the DIY route.. No, not as easy as taking apart a typical Antec case for a PC or whatever but after doing that for 10-20 years I'm tired of constantly meddling.
    Apparently the new iMacs are quite hard to get into, the screen is fixed with a double sided sticky tape if I remember correctly:(
    Only upgrade I've done in 2-3 years is going to 16GB of RAM. Opposed to a PC where I'd be jonesing for video cards and CPUs like a crackhead every 3-6 months ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad to have shaken that addiction!! Yes I know this sickness as well I had 3 self built pc's to look after at one time, time was something I never seamed to have, now with only 1 pc and 3 macs to look after it's bring on the gaming ๐Ÿ™‚

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    Oh, no... double sided sticky tape (chuckle)


  • @StuartH said:

    @OutlawedOffroad said:

    You can service more than realized with Macs.. part of it is having the tools and balls to do it.

    Sure my 27" iMac is a lot more work to take apart.. but once Applecare is done it's about getting a price quote from them, then comparing the DIY route.. No, not as easy as taking apart a typical Antec case for a PC or whatever but after doing that for 10-20 years I'm tired of constantly meddling.
    Apparently the new iMacs are quite hard to get into, the screen is fixed with a double sided sticky tape if I remember correctly:(
    Only upgrade I've done in 2-3 years is going to 16GB of RAM. Opposed to a PC where I'd be jonesing for video cards and CPUs like a crackhead every 3-6 months ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad to have shaken that addiction!! Yes I know this sickness as well I had 3 self built pc's to look after at one time, time was something I never seamed to have, now with only 1 pc and 3 macs to look after it's bring on the gaming ๐Ÿ™‚

    Luckily I have not had to worry about this yet.. I don't remember what year I bought mine but it was about 2.5 years ago. Looking at it I can see it would be a pain to take apart..

    I was the go-to guy for building PCs in my circle of friends/family probably put 200-300 rigs together over the years of varying purpose/quality.. I don't miss it one bit.

  • GNU/Linux Admin

    I can imagine after 200-300 builds it may lose its appeal... I don't think I've built more than 20 yet ๐Ÿ˜„


  • @OutlawedOffroad said:

    You can service more than realized with Macs.. part of it is having the tools and balls to do it.

    They wanted $225 to replace my iPad the baby threw down on a concrete floor and shattered. Ordered the parts and tools through Amazon for like $75 and did it myself one night in like 90 minutes after everyone went to sleep.

    Sure my 27" iMac is a lot more work to take apart.. but once Applecare is done it's about getting a price quote from them, then comparing the DIY route.. No, not as easy as taking apart a typical Antec case for a PC or whatever but after doing that for 10-20 years I'm tired of constantly meddling.

    Only upgrade I've done in 2-3 years is going to 16GB of RAM. Opposed to a PC where I'd be jonesing for video cards and CPUs like a crackhead every 3-6 months ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad to have shaken that addiction!!

    Haha this is facts on the addiction haha

Suggested Topics

| |