Serverhooks with external platform

• Ok I have been slamming my head against this for a few days now since I am fairly new to socket.io and the nodebb framework. Hoping I can get some ideas.

Basically all I am trying to do is get a nodebb serverhook to work with another platforms hook. The hook I am using is action:post.save.

I have my plugin.json serverhook calling to my library.js fine. The problem is trying to pass the data to the other platform.

I can do it all day long client side with something like:
    $.post( url, embed2 );

I guess my question really is, how the heck can I "post (socket.io equivalent?)" from my plugin in a serverside script?

I have been searching for hours and I bet I missed something. Any help is appreciated.

• Or is there a hook that I am missing that fires clientside when the user posts a new message? I have tried "action:composer.post.new" which fires when you click new or reply not submit.

• Global Moderator

Can you post your existing code? It's difficult to understand what you're trying to do without some kind of example.

Maybe a pseudo-code example would also be helpful.

• My code is extremely mangled at the moment.

Basically what I am attempting to do is whenever a user posts I want an update to be pushed to a Discord channel. I have the Discord hooks working perfect. But sending the data through the nodebb hook is becoming a task.

The only information I require is how to push the data to Discord from the nodebb server side.

Should I be using nodejs http to send the data?

• Example:

plugin.json

{
      "id": "nodebb-plugin-nubhook",
      "name": "nubHook",
      "description": "blablabla",
      "url": "removed for priv",
      "library": "./library.js",
      "hooks": [
        { "hook": "action:post.save", "method": "discordHooker" },
        { "hook": "static:app.load", "method": "init" }
      ],
      "scripts": [
        "lib/main.js"
      ]
    }

library.js

var NubHook = {
           discordHooker: function(postData) {
    //send to discord plox
           }
       };

module.exports = NubHook;

• Global Moderator

@Cepheus If you need to make a post request, I'd suggest using the request library.

So in your plugin you have something like:

var request = require('request');

function onPostSave(params) {
      var post = params.post;
      var data = {
        url: 'https://discord.com/route/to/thing',
        // extract data from post to send to discord
      };

request.post(data, function (err, res, body) {
        // do stuff with the response
      });
    }

• Alright, thanks for the help!

• Admin

Seconding the recommendation to use request. That's the server side equivalent to making an xhr on the client side.

| |

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.