[nodebb-plugin-newsletter] Send mass emails from the ACP

• Community Rep

NodeBB Plugin Newsletter

This plugin simplifies sending mass emails from the ACP. You can send emails to every user or a specific group.

Compatible with NodeBB v1.0.0 and up.

Installation

First you will need to install an emailer plugin. I recommend nodebb-plugin-emailer-mailgun, but any plugin with nodebb-plugin-emailer-* should work.

After setting up an emailer plugin, install nodebb-plugin-newsletter via the ACP Extend=>Plugins page.

Usage

Go to the ACP Installed Plugins=>Newsletter page and fill out the form.

Simple!

Examples

ACP

Received Email

TODOs/Issues

• Would be nice to have the option to also create a new topic for the newsletter.
    • Needs to have an unsubscribe functionality.
    • Needs translations.
    • Emojis have issues.

Fork Me on GitHub!

• Translator

This is awesome. Great work!

• Admin

Thank you yariplus for being adorable.

:D

Nice plugin!

• Plugin & Theme Dev

updated it but only getting this @yariplus

Captura de pantalla 2015-05-15 a las 21.25.16.png

• Community Rep

@zack Try clearing your browser cache. If that doesn't work try deleting and reinstalling it.

What is your browser and what version of nodebb?

• Plugin & Theme Dev

@yariplus already reinstalled it, tested on safari and firefox, using 0.7 dev

• Community Rep

@zack Strange, I just tried on a fresh install and it works.

Could you post your logs when you start up nodebb and access this page?

• Plugin & Theme Dev

@yariplus we don't use last commit but usually all 0.7 stuff works correct
    so estrange your plugin is working correctly on dev mode but on normal "start mode" i get this error

Captura de pantalla 2015-05-17 a las 3.22.15.png

• Community Rep

@zack Can you let me know what commit you are on so I can try to reproduce?

I need the server log when nodebb first starts up.

It looks like something in the less or js isn't minifying, nothing is minified in dev mode which might explain why it works then.

• GNU/Linux

Thank you. :+1:

• Community Rep

@zack I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the problem is with the commit your using, but I think it has something to do with templates.js

A fresh install with your commit 518aec6e76180078269bb17ffb56af880d58f9bd gives me an invalid templates.js,

├── templates.js@0.2.3 invalid

and I get this on every page, without any plugins installed:

SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data

the offending code:

app.user = JSON.parse('{"username":"yariplus","userslug":"yariplus","email":"tafike@gmail.com","picture":"https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/f206761be43ad77375e6c30dfbffe3bb?size=128&default=identicon&rating=pg","email:confirmed":false,"uid":"1"}');

and none of the pages load correctly after that.

If you want to stay at the commit you are on, installing an older version fixed it for me.

npm install templates.js@0.1.32

Maybe @psychobunny has some insight on the problem?

• Admin

Yeah tjs 0.2x now escapes code by default, so you need to have latest themes installed (or if you have a custom theme, use double curly brackets to include scripts)

Otherwise 0.1x should be okay until NodeBB 0.7x

• I am having trouble accessing the newsletter plugin page.
    I installed the plugin from ACP, reloaded and restarted the forum.
    Logged out and back in
    It says plugin-newsletter installed and active but I cannot access the plugin page where I can send the emails.

Same topic different question:
    How could I send out newsletters there the content is the top posts. Is there a plugin which does it automatically for example every week send out top posts to all users?

Thanks

• Community Rep

Thanks, I'm in the process of updating all my plugins, this one will be coming soon.

Could you post any errors that show in the logs? (advanced=>logs)

@KasparTr said:

Same topic different question:
    How could I send out newsletters there the content is the top posts. Is there a plugin which does it automatically for example every week send out top posts to all users?

I think that functionality could be added to the existing digest. I'll take a look at it once I get this plugin patched.

• Community Rep

@KasparTr

Not having any errors on latest NodeBB.

If you're still having issues, can you post what version of NodeBB and whichever composer you're using?

• Community Rep

Can I get some people to try this out on 0.9.3 stable?

I've had a few people tell me it isn't working, but I can't reproduce the problem and I'm not getting any errors on any of my installs.

The problem seems to be the client script isn't loading on the admin page.

• Admin

@yariplus said:

The problem seems to be the client script isn't loading on the admin page.

That would only occur on master (as of the writing of this post), as it is a v1.0.0 breaking change. v0.9.3 should be fine.

Fixed here yariplus/nodebb-plugin-newsletter#4

• Community Rep

@julian Thanks.

I was aware of the breaking change for v1.0.0, but I'm concerned about the v0.9.x tagged branch.

No one has reported console errors, but for some people the script just doesn't load. Any idea?

• @yariplus I installed this on my v0.9.3. No errors during the installation and it seems to work fine. I sent an email "newsletter" to my administrators group. I have the nodebb-plugin-emailer-local-bobo plugin installed.

• Community Rep

@rod Awesome! Thank you much.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.