Devs and plugin / theme devs, what editor do you use?

• Global Moderator

I would put a poll in, but it looks like the plugin isn't enabled?

Anyways, I started with Notepad++, used Gedit, moved on to Atom, then tried out Brackets (buggy and slow) and Sublime 3 (fewer features than Atom), and now I'm back to Atom.

I am kind of off put by Github's use of Coffeescript (wtf Github?), so I haven't started creating any plugins or anything in Atom (as their lack of JS docs makes it really f*cking hard), but I really like the editor and the availability of plugins more than Sublime (for instance, previewing Markdown in Sublime requires opening a browser page).

BTW, I've heard that Webstorm is nice, but I hate Java, so that's never happening (I'd rather use Visual Studio).

• Ive always been a Notepad++ fan until a few months ago when it randomly corrupt a file here and there. I lost a 200line php class file one day then like a week later, I lost a 175line JS project. Not much to rewrite, but its the principle -_-

Remove my 180second limit plzz!

• Community Rep

I usually use Notepad++, but Webstorm is great too if I need more features.

• GNU/Linux

I've been using Sublime Text 3 for over a year now (PHP, HTML and JavaScript) and never looked back, 10/10. One of the key features that I enjoy in ST3 is the ability to add different plugins etc. via Package Control (more here https://packagecontrol.io) + the UI is remarkably simple.

For Java I usually go with NetBeans.

• Global Moderator

@markkus if you like ST3, you'll love atom. Every plugin that exists for ST3 that is popular has a corresponding plugin in Atom. Plus, atom has a GUI build in for installing, updating, disabling, configuring, and removing packages. The increased flexibility of Atom also allows for the packages to do more.

Atom is essentially a hackable, better version of Sublime.

• Global Moderator

Usually PHPStorm, but I wiped my HDD when I went over to Windows 10. So at the minute, I'm without one. May try an up to date version of phpstorm, see how it's improved.

Looks like your connection to NodeBB was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.